10 imports next season

Even more important now then that we keep all our current Brits, and definitely make Burrows a regular. Guessing we’ll also have to look at signing one or two more / bringing some up from ENL. Having Lyle in goal could be even more important now as we could have 10 import skaters whereas most teams will have to use up one import slot for their goalie and only have 9 import skaters.

Harsh on the young Brits I know - but assuming the wage cap stays the same, does this mean we could arguably pay the likes of Pelle, Matzka etc more as I guess the 3rd line rotating Brits don't get much???

So prices go up, on ice product gets worse and he's got his head that far up his backside we are meant to be happy about it :evil:

wildthing74 said:
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/ten-imports-next-season-p170213

Good news and should give the Brits a chance.Time to come home Mr Davies.
I reckon we will lose Voth and Weller. If we are able to keep the rest of the imports, we have 1 space left to fill with an import.

Would be happy with an import and a British defender then a British Forward.

jimmy snels

ledgend777 said:
Even more important now then that we keep all our current Brits, and definitely make Burrows a regular. Guessing we’ll also have to look at signing one or two more / bringing some up from ENL. Having Lyle in goal could be even more important now as we could have 10 import skaters whereas most teams will have to use up one import slot for their goalie and only have 9 import skaters.
i find it amazing that people think its a benifit having lyle in net still. i hate to say it but if we'd benched G for the season and had osaer in nets we'd have won this league by 10 points. thats not ment to be a dig at G because he's bin very good this season but we'd need an import slot to bring in a top netminder.

wildthing74

Thread starter #8
I'd have Ben back in a heartbeat as well as Burrows.The Brits are never going to improve until coaches have the balls to play them.Look at Lachowicz,even coach Corey been using him on PK and PP and the kid looks the part.
I'd happily see the imports cut for the long term good of the sport as long as the coaches develop the youngsters and give them a fair crack.
If the other teams who were allowed 12 have to drop to 10 then the top end Brits from EPL will be able to step up again.I'd rather see a local lad trying 100% than a cheap run of the mill import anyday.

ledgend777 said:
Imagine said:
wildthing74 said:
Time to come home Mr Davies.
Burrows over Davies any day.
Don't rush to try to get back Ben.
I's also go for Burrows over Davies but would definitely be happy if Ben returned next season.
I'd love to see burrows and ben playing, they are both great just ben didn't get much ice time this season. Burrows has massively impressed me with what I've seen so far and I really hope he gets fully signed with us. I'd also like to see ben back in the roster, but I guess only time will tell

kettdevil1

I think we might have a fight on our hands to get Ben back - the Bison site suggests he has 9+23 in 26 games. An impressive return and one that I would imagine would get him the offer of another contract there...

TheStub

Re: Re: 10 imports next season

jester said:
So prices go up, on ice product gets worse and he's got his head that far up his backside we are meant to be happy about it :evil:
Why does that follow? With increased imports we have seen more and more filler type players coming over. I'd rather have 10 (or even 8) higher quality imports that will raise the younger Brit players.

Let's be honest, if you want to see NHL hockey go to the states. If we want the sport to be sustainable in this country we have to see a better balance. I bet you wont notice a drop in quality - it is hardly great to start with.

wildthing74

Thread starter #12
Also isn't Burrows at uni full time?Not sure if he would be able to commit to a full season with course work as I guess there is more work than the business school guys do.

DevilDom

Devil_Bluebird said:
I reckon we will lose Voth and Weller. If we are able to keep the rest of the imports, we have 1 space left to fill with an import.
No chance. We'll lose far more players than this.

I see no or very little chance of Pelle, Matzka or Weller being here next season. Unlikely McCrae will be here either although out of the "Fab 4" he is probably the one who may stay. Add to this the fact that Voth will probably call it a day, and Mark Smith's Uni course will also be over so he will probably want a lot more to stay which means there must also be a big doubt over Kenton and I think we will be lucky to keep 5 or 6 of the current imports we have.

TheStub said:
jester said:
Why does that follow? With increased imports we have seen more and more filler type players coming over. I'd rather have 10 (or even 8) higher quality imports that will raise the younger Brit players.

Let's be honest, if you want to see NHL hockey go to the states. If we want the sport to be sustainable in this country we have to see a better balance. I bet you wont notice a drop in quality - it is hardly great to start with.
Yes 10 high quality imports would be great however Brits will now be at a premium so it follows you have less to spend on your imports.

Again it will come down to who can afford the top end Brits and have a structure in place, that can attract good quality imports ie Uni deals etc,

or you blow all your budget on imports and employ a few brit bench fillers

DevilDom

TheStub said:
I'd rather have 10 (or even 8) higher quality imports that will raise the younger Brit players.
Totally agree. I think the sooner the league move to 8 imports the better. It will give teams like the caps, vipers, amd Rays the chance to be viable and competitive and may also encourage other teams to make the step up.

10 imports and 8 teams (which seems likely given the state of the caps and vipers) is not good for the sport. 8 imports and 10, 12 or even 14 teams would be much more interesting and much better for the sport in this country. PR knows this and I think and hope that is what he is driving towards.

Finny

jimmy snels said:
i find it amazing that people think its a benifit having lyle in net still. i hate to say it but if we'd benched G for the season and had osaer in nets we'd have won this league by 10 points. thats not ment to be a dig at G because he's bin very good this season but we'd need an import slot to bring in a top netminder.
So you would have played that February spell with a 3 man D of Weller, Richardson and Symonds when the two Smith brothers were injured? :lol:

DevilDom said:
TheStub said:
I'd rather have 10 (or even 8) higher quality imports that will raise the younger Brit players.
Totally agree. I think the sooner the league move to 8 imports the better. It will give teams like the caps, vipers, amd Rays the chance to be viable and competitive and may also encourage other teams to make the step up.

10 imports and 8 teams (which seems likely given the state of the caps and vipers) is not good for the sport. 8 imports and 10, 12 or even 14 teams would be much more interesting and much better for the sport in this country. PR knows this and I think and hope that is what he is driving towards.
If they drop to 8 imports i would say thats the end of the arena teams (maybe not nottingham) but Belfast almost certainly.

I dont see how it follows that the teams you mention will be any better off their better Brits will go to bigger clubs, Assuming the "wage cap" doesn't change that means the rich teams will spend that money upgrading imports, still spending to the cap....as the teams that are struggling now still won't be able to afford up to the wage cap they'll still get destroyed by the 2 or so better quality imports the richer teams can afford...

This does absolutely nothing for teams already struggling...no point in trying to pretend it does...

Bench G and we are sorted!!

Nah, rid of Voth and sign either another import or rid of Lyle and import keeper? I know he's meant to be on a 3 year deal.

Weller won't be here - he said that himself, Voth IMO will retire, Matzka and Pelle will be gone. The most important thing IMO is to keep the brits and possibly sign another. It was rumored that Matt Myers was on his way to Cardiff last year from the ECHL but no budget left for him. Although I'm not sure about him. Brilliant at faceoffs though.

DevilDom

jester said:
If they drop to 8 imports i would say thats the end of the arena teams (maybe not nottingham) but Belfast almost certainly.
If that is true then the end of Belfast in the Elite league may be better for the league as a whole going forward. Add the additional travel costs of going to Belfast which may also play a part in discouraging other teams to make the step up and I think you wouldn't be missed that much.

DevilDom said:
jester said:
If that is true then the end of Belfast in the Elite league may be better for the league as a whole going forward. Add the additional travel costs of going to Belfast which may also play a part in discouraging other teams to make the step up and I think you wouldn't be missed that much.

Your probably right. Its my opinion that 8 import hockey or less would not be substainable in Belfast or any arena based team. So get rid of the 3 clubs with the biggest followings and your on a winner :cool: