2024/2025 season ticket

I beg to disagree Judge Judy..... and frankly I think this is an early contender for 'Most Bonkers Post of 2024'

Pricing is not covered in this way as otherwise you would have to charge everyone exactly the same. If the club had said there are different prices for various ethnic groups.... now that would be a breach.....

Right, as you were.
Tell me you’ve completely missed the point without telling me you’ve completely missed the point.

Are all Devils STH age categories being treated the same with regard the new ST prices? Answer No.

If you treat clearly defined groups of people differently, (and in this instance the Seniors and Disabled are being charged significantly more than other Adult STH price rises), then this ticks the boxes of direct discrimination in this country (as it breaches the Equalities Act 2010).

Personally I have no issue with the club needing to increase their Season Ticket prices, costs have gone up wherever you look, but in increasing the price of season tickets, the club are required by UK law to act without exercising direct discrimination - which they haven’t - charging Adult STH one price then attempting to “bring Seniors and Disabled” STH into line with the discounts provided (by the club) to Adults is discriminating against their clearly defined group of STH under protected characteristics within the Equalities Act 2010

The point is that you either increase prices by 11% or 18.4%. Charging different price increases for different groups is direct discrimination. Age and Disability are both protected characteristics (just like Race) under the Equalities Act 2010.

Maybe the club would be better just scrapping the Seniors and Disabled ST and just charge all adults the same price.

I have noticed that a few concert companies have scrapped Senior discounts on tickets.

Tell me you’ve completely missed the point without telling me you’ve completely missed the point.

Are all Devils STH age categories being treated the same with regard the new ST prices? Answer No.

If you treat clearly defined groups of people differently, (and in this instance the Seniors and Disabled are being charged significantly more than other Adult STH price rises), then this ticks the boxes of direct discrimination in this country (as it breaches the Equalities Act 2010).

Personally I have no issue with the club needing to increase their Season Ticket prices, costs have gone up wherever you look, but in increasing the price of season tickets, the club are required by UK law to act without exercising direct discrimination - which they haven’t - charging Adult STH one price then attempting to “bring Seniors and Disabled” STH into line with the discounts provided (by the club) to Adults is discriminating against their clearly defined group of STH under protected characteristics within the Equalities Act 2010

The point is that you either increase prices by 11% or 18.4%. Charging different price increases for different groups is direct discrimination. Age and Disability are both protected characteristics (just like Race) under the Equalities Act 2010.
I have had a poke around and I don't think ( apologies if I have understood it wrong) the 2010 act covers this as even though the Senior ST has gone up more than a normal adult one, the ST is not offering less of a discount per game than a normal ST. The Senior ST is just being bought in to line re savings with the adult one so not really discrimination. As I said I may have understood .

kettdevil1

But to reiterate, pricing is specifically excluded from the Equalities Act 2010 so you are completely within your rights to offer concessions. These concessions are at the discretion of the club and hence you can raise or lower prices by whatever amount you like.

There are multiple examples of clubs offering differential price increases and whilst you can argue whether you agree/disagree with this approach, I would be highly surprised if you could find anyone in the legal profession who would take this course given how clearly it is enshrined in the Act.

kettdevil1

I have had a poke around and I don't think ( apologies if I have understood it wrong) the 2010 act covers this as even though the Senior ST has gone up more than a normal adult one, the ST is not offering less of a discount per game than a normal ST. The Senior ST is just being bought in to line re savings with the adult one so not really discrimination. As I said I may have understood .
To be honest, it is even more simple than this explanation (although it is a valid point you make). You are able to offer a concession for particular age groups at your discretion so as an example, the football team I follow used to offer an u16 ticket for £5 (normal price at the time was about £18) However, they became aware that people were buying u16 tickets even if they were over 16. So for the next season the price for (I think) 11-16 year olds went up to £15 and the adult price was £20. All perfectly legal and a far more extreme example of what has happened here.

TL91

Or you could argue that it makes it even more Equal - ensuring that all are treated with the correct parity, therefore, NOT discriminated against

You'd need the courts for a definitive answer but it seems legally sound to me:

Section 13 The Equality Act 2010

(1) A person (A) discriminates against another (B) if, because of a protected characteristic, A treats B less favourably than A treats or would treat others.

(2) If the protected characteristic is age, A does not discriminate against B if A can show A's treatment of B to be a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

OJLloyd

The point you have made works the other way round - discount prices offered based on age are discriminatory. So concessions are discriminatory by their very nature, because I can’t get an OAP concession because I’m in my 30’s.

This is why the Equality Act permits discrimination for certain reasons. This falls squarely within this. And so, no, there is no breach of the Act.

This isn’t based on Google, I am a lawyer.

The point you have made works the other way round - discount prices offered based on age are discriminatory. So concessions are discriminatory by their very nature, because I can’t get an OAP concession because I’m in my 30’s.

This is why the Equality Act permits discrimination for certain reasons. This falls squarely within this. And so, no, there is no breach of the Act.

This isn’t based on Google, I am a lawyer.
You might have the basis for a claim there....

<Joking>