Brad 1 match ban

Finny

Legin said:
Possibly they don't want to appeal, if they did and the suspension was lifted then he got the same penalty in a later game he could then end up missing one of the playoff games. At least this way he won't have it hanging over him.
I did wonder about that too. Although with the rules not being published, there is no way to know that 3 'sticking' game penalties wouldn't be a ban too - and possibly more than 1 game.

Dwoods said:
You can't blame Hicksy for this one - as already mentioned, he wanted to down-grade Brad's penalty and up-grade Bergin's - but the powers above him are the one's soley to blame for this crazy outcome.
Still dosen t make him a better ref, he should have called it correctly in the first place

A

Anonymous

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Dwoods said:
You can't blame Hicksy for this one - as already mentioned, he wanted to down-grade Brad's penalty and up-grade Bergin's - but the powers above him are the one's soley to blame for this crazy outcome.
Still dosen t make him a better ref, he should have called it correctly in the first place
Spot on. Perhaps he wanted to downgrade Voths penalty as he realised he had made such a boob! How can you call something you don't see? Answers on a postcard please. I sent an email to the Elite league regarding the Voth/Bergin incident, no response (wasn't expecting one tbh) and also to Shannon Hope, no reply there either. Oh well ... :roll:

TheDevilTorn said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
Dwoods said:
Spot on. Perhaps he wanted to downgrade Voths penalty as he realised he had made such a boob! How can you call something you don't see? Answers on a postcard please. I sent an email to the Elite league regarding the Voth/Bergin incident, no response (wasn't expecting one tbh) and also to Shannon Hope, no reply there either. Oh well ... :roll:

And you know he did not see it how? have you spoken to him and asked?
Maybe he called what he saw and also what was advised correctly at the time.
Also he may have been busy restraining Brad and stopping him do something that would have warranted a possible longer ban. Then after looking at the video decided he wanted to change the penalties as he could see more clearly the incidents....

A

Anonymous

I was at the game Albert, he didnt see it because it didn't happen. *sighs
Secondly, when has cross checking been a 5 minute penalty?

A

Anonymous

Finny said:
Perhaps the linesman called it?
Voth retaliated slightly, certainly no cross check, and that still doesn't answer the question. Voths 5 + game was farcical, Im sure most if not all at the game would agree. In fact, read the posts on the thread!

Finny

What I meant, is that Hicks might have missed the cross-check completely (and there was a crosscheck, but nowhere near the 5+game he got).
If the linesmen calls something that Hicks didn't see, then he calls it as the linesman gives it.

Afterwards, he then gets the chance to review it. In this situation it sounds like he didn't deem it worthy of a 5+game, but couldn't downgrade it for some reason.

Finny said:
What I meant, is that Hicks might have missed the cross-check completely (and there was a crosscheck, but nowhere near the 5+game he got).
If the linesmen calls something that Hicks didn't see, then he calls it as the linesman gives it.

Afterwards, he then gets the chance to review it. In this situation it sounds like he didn't deem it worthy of a 5+game, but couldn't downgrade it for some reason.

That seems to make sense......

A

Anonymous

Finny, there was no cross check, If it didn't happen how can it be called? It was poor officiating, full stop. Voth is guilty sometimes just for being Brad Voth, he doesn't have to do anything! Surely you know that :?:

How can you be sure it didn't happen? A cross check takes seconds to throw, as the incident was behind the play were you looking at Voth for the entire time without looking away even for a second?

A

Anonymous

bluedevil said:
How can you be sure it didn't happen? A cross check takes seconds to throw, as the incident was behind the play were you looking at Voth for the entire time without looking away even for a second?
Its funny, someone posted earlier "did anyone see Voths cross check" not 1 person has answered yes? There was a push by Voth, perhaps the ref/linesman saw that as a slight cross check, I dunno. If this is the case, why the hell was he given 5 + game? Read the posts, isnt that the general idea on a forum. Pretty much everyone agrees that the penalties were farcical !

Finny

TheDevilTorn said:
Finny, there was no cross check, If it didn't happen how can it be called?
But there was a crosscheck. I missed it at the time, but after watching the DevilsTV clip it is there, when Voth chases after Bergin and catches him up - the first thing he does is crosscheck him.
It's not much of a crosscheck and worthy of only 2 minutes. But it is there.

TheDevilTorn said:
bluedevil said:
Its funny, someone posted earlier "did anyone see Voths cross check" not 1 person has answered yes? There was a push by Voth, perhaps the ref/linesman saw that as a slight cross check, I dunno. If this is the case, why the hell was he given 5 + game? Read the posts, isnt that the general idea on a forum. Pretty much everyone agrees that the penalties were farcical !
Because everyone may have been following the puck that was now up the ice.
Obviously it is clear that one of the officials saw something they thought warranted a 5 & game as that is all they can ask to be called (or a match). Now on watching the incident (which they can not do on the ice as I bet it would not have been called)the ref feels that it does not warrant a major pen so requested the call to be downgraded. I can see what could seen as a cross check from the on ice angle but it would only be a 2.
The issue now is between the league saying no and the club and Mike has been left with no support from the League.
Still makes you wonder why they do the job.

A

Anonymous

Albert, I know what your saying mate, and its a fair point. But the cross check didn't happen, The proof is in the pudding. On reviewing the incident Hicks wanted to down grade Voths penalty. Meaning that he cocked up. Now, either the officials didn't see what happened, or they did. If they did and called the penalties how they saw fit, why would they then have to watch it again on the video, and say, oh no we got it wrong? Its all a mess and none of it makes any sense. Perhaps if Hicks didn't make a habit of making so many errors we could give him the benefit of the doubt! Here on the inferno the members are always saying Hicks makes calls "That only he sees.

What also makes no sense at all to me is if the footage has been reviewed why on earth hasn't Bergin received a suspension?? If yourself or anyone can answer that I'd be amazed but equally grateful !
Its a view shared by most if not all at the game Albert, why single me out for sarcasm. I take it you were not at the game? Im not a ref but I know the difference between right and wrong, its not rocket science!

TheDevilTorn said:
Albert, I know what your saying mate, and its a fair point. But the cross check didn't happen, The proof is in the pudding. On reviewing the incident Hicks wanted to down grade Voths penalty. Meaning that he cocked up. Now, either the officials didn't see what happened, or they did. If they did and called the penalties how they saw fit, why would they then have to watch it again on the video, and say, oh no we got it wrong? Its all a mess and none of it makes any sense. Perhaps if Hicks didn't make a habit of making so many errors we could give him the benefit of the doubt! Here on the inferno the members are always saying Hicks makes calls "That only he sees.

What also makes no sense at all to me is if the footage has been reviewed why on earth hasn't Bergin received a suspension?? If yourself or anyone can answer that I'd be amazed but equally grateful !
Its a view shared by most if not all at the game Albert, why single me out for sarcasm. I take it you were not at the game? Im not a ref but I know the difference between right and wrong, its not rocket science!
Meaning that he cocked up.

Nope means he reviewed the whole incident as he was requested to and also they are supplied the game dvd straight after and re watch any major incidents as per a process they have to make sure the punishments fits the bill of what did happen. I would think that is common sense.

why would they then have to watch it again on the video, and say, oh no we got it wrong

As per above and have you ever been under soo much pressure and never made a mistake that at the time you thought was correct? and also you have to back up your linesman. Mind you the league should back up the refs.

That only he sees.
But he is in charge has had the training etc and also those comments are their perceptions of Mike and the rules and not the reality..

What also makes no sense at all to me is if the footage has been reviewed why on earth hasn't Bergin received a suspension?? If yourself or anyone can answer that I'd be amazed but equally grateful

As kipper and a few others have said that is between the league and the club and we will never known as a fan....

I take it you were not at the game?
Nope I was at the game enjoying the wonderful planet ice hot dogs with the Assistant EIHA referee in chief and his wife. Shockingly they called the slash as a 5 and game as there was no injury on the play but with the add on that it would be requested as a review.

DT I am not picking on you but you are the one that seems to be always adding to the thread in a negative way about the officials and why and how they do their job, when they put themselves in the firing line each week in front of people who may or may not have an understanding of the rules and there interpretations etc
Mike and the smaller official did a lot of good in that incident in spotting the dangers and stopping Brad from doing something really daft. Why not praise that as well as knock them??

Just trying to add a different angle on things

A

Anonymous

The whole thread was intended to highlight the officials and their poor calls etc. Like Ive said now several times, look at all the other posts. They all basically agree that the refs got it horribly wrong. We can go on all day at who's right, who's wrong. It seems common knowledge that Hicks seems to have some kind of grudge against Voth, that seems to be the general opinion. Fans cringe at the prospect of him reffing at the tent, I wonder why? Its common to blame the ref usually in a defeat, we won the game in question 3-0. Read some of the other threads regarding Mr Hicks and see if your still inclined to defend him? And kindly refer any personal/sarcastic comments to PM Oh and rather comically you say the officials did well in the incident preventing it from escalating. Did you see Bergin hit Brad several times in the face while the two officials held Brad off?? Hmmm. You refer to Hicks as "Mike" perhaps you have a more significant reason for defending him?

A

Anonymous

Finny said:
TheDevilTorn said:
Finny, there was no cross check, If it didn't happen how can it be called?
But there was a crosscheck. I missed it at the time, but after watching the DevilsTV clip it is there, when Voth chases after Bergin and catches him up - the first thing he does is crosscheck him.
It's not much of a crosscheck and worthy of only 2 minutes. But it is there.
Ive watched it 4 or 5 times now and I cant see a cross check. :roll:

Finny said:
Would it be too cynical of me to suggest that the £500 was probably a debt left over from Bob.....
Yes it would. I think you forget that the current Devils management in their 1st season in charge appealed, and successfully had a ban reduced for Brad, no money outstanding then otherwise they wouldn't have been able to appeal then.
Finny you really need to get over your paranoia with Bob, it's eating you away. Try Peter Ridsdale for a change :lol: