Braehead Blackhawks To Join EIHL?

Finny

Thread starter #1
For those that don't browse the other forums, there was a post on the SHF that has spread to THF that a new team will join the EIHL for next season and it will be based in Braehead Arena (Glasgow).

There have certainly been some strong rumours over the past season of new teams joining the EIHL. There are also rumours that Fife and Dundee have been approached but have so far turned down the EIHL offer.
The rumour is that there will be an announcement at the start of March. Let's hope it comes true and is not just a windup.

Would love to see a Breahead team in the EIHL. Hopefully it will attract back a lot of the hockey fans in the west coast of Scotland who have been without top-flight hockey since the demise of Ayr.
Would hopefully mean the return of Scottish Double-Header Weekends, as well as a local rival to help with Edinburgh's crowds. Who knows, if they are succesful it might be enough to convince Fife and Dundee to join too.

Oh, and it would also delight El Supremo as the Braehead Arena is a fantastic 4000 seat arena. ;)

There's also been a rumour that a new team based in Dublin approached the league with a view to the 2011 season, but there is a dispute who owns the franchise rights for Ireland, cough convey cough. But like I said it's only a rumour with no hard facts.

Hope someone joins it would make the league more stable and a Scottish based team would help Edinburgh's cash flow.

DevilDom

I would really like to see more teams in the EIHL. Brahead sounds like a fantastic option, good for the league, good for fans in that part of the country, good for fans travelling to Scotland for away games and especially good for Edinburgh.

I really think that this (along with imrproved officiating and consistent rules) should be the focus of those that run the league - atttracting new teams.

Lets hope the rumours are true and we get someone else. My big fear, is that it will simply be to replace Newcastle or Hull and we'll still only have 8 teams next year.

These rumours are from what I have heard true. I have actually heard the name of the team and it wont be called the Blackhawks. Also I also hope it doesnt replace another team and im pretty sure it wont. It would be great to only have to play each team 3 times home and away and not 4.

kettdevil1

Derby Devil said:
There's also been a rumour that a new team based in Dublin approached the league with a view to the 2011 season, but there is a dispute who owns the franchise rights for Ireland,
I'm pretty sure the concept of franchises went some years ago so I can't see that being a problem.

Dublin and Braehead would be great options as they would create the potential for some superb double header weekends.

Hopefully they will happen and also hopefully some more Southerly teams will join in soon as well.

Finny

Thread starter #6
freddieb said:
These rumours are from what I have heard true. I have actually heard the name of the team and it wont be called the Blackhawks..
I should have pointed out actually that I did make up the name the Braehead Blackhawks. I guess calling them Glasgow ________ might increase their profile more than Breahead or even Paisley would.

Glasgow Gladiators?
Glasgow Gators?

Glagow Drunks.........
;)

Derby Devil said:
There's also been a rumour that a new team based in Dublin approached the league with a view to the 2011 season, but there is a dispute who owns the franchise rights for Ireland, cough convey cough. But like I said it's only a rumour with no hard facts.

Hope someone joins it would make the league more stable and a Scottish based team would help Edinburgh's cash flow.
Dundalk Bulls.... But it's all rumours at this stage though I would love to see it.. Would make a great rivalry for us..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk_Bulls They play out of a decent enough rink as well...

Hope the Scottish team is happening as it would give our selves and Caps a good rivalry with a team not to far away..

Finny

Thread starter #8
oneill said:
Dundalk Bulls.... But it's all rumours at this stage though I would love to see it.. Would make a great rivalry for us..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk_Bulls They play out of a decent enough rink as well...
Is the Dundalk Ice Bowl big enough though to support an EIHL team? Isn't the capacity only 1200?

I guess if they got near sell-outs most weeks they would be able to compete if their rink rental was low enough and they got good sponsorship. But I would say you need a rink of 1500+ to realistically challenge for trophies and ideally 2000+

I think they have been another rink in Dublin too - in Charlestown? Though from the photos I've seen it looks even more temporary than our tent and a capacity of only 500ish?

James

Administrator
Finny said:
freddieb said:
These rumours are from what I have heard true. I have actually heard the name of the team and it wont be called the Blackhawks..
I should have pointed out actually that I did make up the name the Braehead Blackhawks. I guess calling them Glasgow ________ might increase their profile more than Breahead or even Paisley would.

Glasgow Gladiators?
Glasgow Gators?

Glagow Drunks.........
;)
You are Toots and I claim my £5 :)

ASHIPP

Glasgow Gorillas?! :lol:
Couldn't Paisley simply move to the arena - it's not too far away? :?

There have been indications of other EIHL teams struggling this season - namely Vipers and Stingrays. Really hope these two teams are able to sustain top league finance/attendance/performance and that any new teams are not simply replacements. :?

wildthing74

Ah the old Scottish double headers.Best trips of the year.Not sure at my age that there will be as much alcohol involved these days but that is a trip that has to be done.

Wannabe2

wildthing74 said:
Ah the old Scottish double headers.Best trips of the year.Not sure at my age that there will be as much alcohol involved these days but that is a trip that has to be done.
Might have to cut down on the booze myself when i get to your age. :lol:

wildthing74

Wannabe2 said:
wildthing74 said:
Might have to cut down on the booze myself when i get to your age. :lol:
You got about 20 years on me Mr D! :lol:

ASHIPP

This is like the dawn of the Belfast Giants all over again!

Tony Hand for team coach? :cool: Expect some of this season's talented to new faces to be approached for this club. Exciting times ahead.

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
This is like the dawn of the Belfast Giants all over again!

Tony Hand for team coach? :cool: Expect some of this season's talented to new faces to be approached for this club. Exciting times ahead.

I wouldnt be suprised to see his current assistant Ed Courtenay to be the front runner at the moment but who knows!

Intersting off season ahead thats for sure.