Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

Devils86

Had we won the treble last season I would understand your pessimism but we came 4th and won nothing. Changes have to be made. I’m a big fan of Mark Louis and he was a great servant for the Cardiff Devils but being brutally honest big Lou isn’t a key cog anymore. I’ve got no doubt Todd and the owners will miss Mark but i’m sure they all agree it’s the right decision.
I'm certainly all for changes, I posted ages back and at some length about how I would get rid of 6/7 players. I just think in this instance the wrong change has been made.

As for general pessimism on reflection I have fallen foul of rumours that I've heard, and then extrapolated what that means for the rest of the roster, which is a silly thing to do really. If a quality NM is signed and the Brit pack position confirmed soon (and I'm wrong about that) them I'm sure my pessimism will abate

MA18

With how active John Donovan is on LinkedIn it’s clear to see the Devils have gone hard after more sponsors and therefore income this season.
Hopefully that doesn’t turn our ice in to a business card and change the match night experience with a churn corporate visitors and the issues that they could bring but just a nice injection of cash.

To get rid of big Lou confuses me, unless it was his decision. Out of him and Batch, on last season's performances it has to be batch that gets moved on if one had to go. With the GB ruling now we don't need to carry passengers for the sake of it

ASHIPP

Don't get the Belfast hate I'm afraid. Yes all the talk of wage cap debate rumours and about finances....but isn't there just a little bit of the old green-eyed monster in the mix here from other clubs fans?
That club won the treble, let's just get over it. IIRC, fans of other teams were levelling the very same accusations at the Devils during their successful period when they were winning the League, Playoffs, success in CHL etc.

And Giants have always put a great team together, irrespective of the season they are having. Keefe is not necessarily liked, but he is respected as a great coach who is pro-active, as is the GM Steve Thornton. What is wrong with that? To make ruthless decisions in the name of success is called ambition. It is to be admired. We could have done with that level of ruthlessness in the last two seasons....perhaps our Club could have edged a bit closer to the return to success the Club and fans crave.

moggy#9

Don't get the Belfast hate I'm afraid. Yes all the talk of wage cap debate rumours and about finances....but isn't there just a little bit of the old green-eyed monster in the mix here from other clubs fans?
That club won the treble, let's just get over it. IIRC, fans of other teams were levelling the very same accusations at the Devils during their successful period when they were winning the League, Playoffs, success in CHL etc.

And Giants have always put a great team together, irrespective of the season they are having. Keefe is not necessarily liked, but he is respected as a great coach who is pro-active, as is the GM Steve Thornton. What is wrong with that? To make ruthless decisions in the name of success is called ambition. It is to be admired. We could have done with that level of ruthlessness in the last two seasons....perhaps our Club could have edged a bit closer to the return to success the Club and fans crave.
Yes, they're a very big club and yes they won the treble, but for me it's something that will always be tainted. Putting aside the vagueness of the wage cap rules, as many have said before, their apparent breach of the registration limits have never been addressed. Though to be fair, that's the league to blame for not being seen to enforce the rules.

With regard to the devils bending or breaking the wage cap rules in the past. That's almost certainly true, in fact it was probably instrumental in our isl era collapse. We were just the first domino to fall. I certainly don't want a repeat of that with the eihl.

kingmo19.1

Personally I’ve no problem/grudge with Belfast winning the treble. If there is no cast in stone and signed rules regarding the wage cap and it’s just a wishy wishy gentleman’s agreement then it’s open to exploitation and interpretation.

Did they break it? Maybe. Does anyone have proof? No!

So basically if clubs want to spend £££ then they can, so in essence we’re following a similar path to football whereby the clubs who spend the most £££ tend to have the most success! Hardly rocket science.

Powers that be need to get a grip on the position, otherwise nothing will change.

Rempel16

Add to that... Adam Keefe (who is no doubt a great coach) was named EIHL coach of the year... And all it took was to recruit so badly that that 7 (?) changes were needed.

It makes a mockery of the situation and for me, whilst the Giants were clearly the best team eventually, the grand slam will always be tainted.

jenks33

Coughler to Germany confirmed. Such a shame he couldn’t stay fit and healthy as he’s a cracking player. Obviously we don’t know if it was the clubs decision or his but I assume the club felt it was better to look for a replacement considering Coughlers concussion problems. And I don’t blame the club at all for that