Cardiff NIHL Announcement...

Cardon said:
Other clubs without an elite league team probably have a much larger income from ticket sales than Cardiff. They can therefore afford to pay their players. I don't see why someone with a 10 year old in the junior club should be helping pay for a grown man, probably earning a wage of his own, play hockey for free.
Lots of fingers have been pointed about why the DCF is short of money. Are they being pointed in the right direction?
I suppose they could be pointed in a number of directions, but the admin charges and office costs shown in the accounts certainly point the finger one way

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
As far as I've understood it and also taking previous topic comments raised on this forum the NIHL2 subs have contributed towards NIHL1 costs. This has always been the understanding of the NIHL2 players and their team managers etc.

I generalise but very few senior NIHL1 players have had to pay subs/match fees.
No it hasn't !
As a parent who's son plays NIHL 2 it's never been the understanding by managers , parents or players that they subsidise NIHL1
I don't think some people can grasp the concept that there is only one professional team at the Devils
Every one else pays!

buzzwagon said:
Skate_It_Off!!! said:
As far as I've understood it and also taking previous topic comments raised on this forum the NIHL2 subs have contributed towards NIHL1 costs. This has always been the understanding of the NIHL2 players and their team managers etc.

No it hasn't !
As a parent who's son plays NIHL 2 it's never been the understanding by managers , parents or players that they subsidise NIHL1
I don't think some people can grasp the concept that there is only one professional team at the Devils
Every one else pays!
It was one of the main reasons for the inception of NIHL2 back in 09/10 season to assist in the financing of NIHL1, I don't know how long your son has played for NiHL2, if he has only come through from the junior system in the last couple of years it is possible you could have been unaware of this situation.

The majority of NIHL1 players do not pay as explained by others in this thread.

As far as I know when it comes to subs there is no distinction between juniors and EIHL2. They are all part of the DCF. So everyone from under 10s to EIHL2 currently subsidises EIHL1. This breakaway should now mean that EIHL1 will need to be self sufficient.

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
buzzwagon said:
Skate_It_Off!!! said:

No it hasn't !
Every one else pays!
It was one of the main reasons for the inception of NIHL2 back in 09/10 season to assist in the financing of NIHL1, I don't know how long your son has played for NiHL2, if he has only come through from the junior system in the last couple of years it is possible you could have been unaware of this situation.

The majority of NIHL1 players do not pay as explained by others in this thread.
I was led to believe that NIHL2 was originally set up as there was nowhere for players leaving the 18's to go and in doing so they shut down the 18's due to lack of numbers.
The 18's was eventually reinstated by the DCF after reassurances by Peter Jeffries & Rob Shanahan that the 18's would be self financing.

Even if as you say NIHL 2 was set up to financially assist NIHL1 they don't bring in enough revenue to support NIHL 1 so inevitably funds end up being drawn off junior club as well

With regards to the attempted breakaway of both NIHL teams from the junior club, I would like to make everyone aware that this is NOT the wishes of the junior committee.

Two meetings were held where Coach Mark Cuddihy and some players from NIHL1 were present to discuss this proposal. At both meetings it was made clear to Mark that he would have our full support in taking the NIHL1 team BUT the NIHL2 team was to remain as part of the junior development, with the idea of turning this team into an U20s side which I know is on the UK hockey radar.

On reading the recent press release from the newly formed Cardiff Fire, it appears that Mark Cuddihy is attempting to take both teams. Contact was made with the EIHA to clarify the situation, and we were told that both NIHL teams have been registered in Mark Cuddihy's name.

How this has happened, I don't know. At no point has anybody contacted the junior club or indeed the NIHL2 players to inform them of this action prior to it happening. Mark Cuddihy has been to EIHA meetings representing the junior club, as club secretary, and at some point has informed the EIHA that he is taking over the NIHL teams in Cardiff.

As stated above, this is NOT the wishes of the elected committee or the majority of NIHL2 team members. I appreciate that some players will want to move up to NIHL1, who we will support with our full blessing.

I fully understand why NIHL1 wish to break away from the junior club, as it will allow them to re-brand and attract new sponsorship. The NIHL1 is becoming a very competitive league, and to compete at this level requires, in my opinion, an almost semi-professional set-up which the junior club cannot fund.

The EIHA have asked both parties to get together to try and resolve the situation as they say it is an internal club matter. I have contacted Mark Cuddihy at the beginning of the week. He replied to the new junior secretary that he was busy and couldn't possibly meet with us until he has had his management meeting which is tonight.

I would like to think that Mark will make contact soon so we can sort this matter out.

Rob Shanahan

Have there been any further NIHL 1 & 2 developments?

With Cardiff Fire having their awards evening and pre-season get together last Saturday at the Cardiff Yacht Club and the DCF committee having their meetings at the rink has a compromise been reached?

Who will be playing under which banner?

Have any players committed to either organisation?

Kipper

Rob, is it correct that Juniors/ENL fees are going to increase to cover historic debts left unpaid by Paul Ragan's DCF? If so this is outrageous. All my son's fees were paid up to date. Why should he have to pay extra again if DCF didn't pay it's ice time bills when the money was paid in directly for that purpose?

I understand the Comets have been informed their ice time costs are to increase to help cover Ragan's historical debt. Please clarify.

There's no way planet ice will let this one go If this is true. They will want there £££, I cannot see where else the money will cme from , ice time will be taken away , huge mess .

Does anyone know the outcome of the "Stand off" regarding NIHL1 & NIHL2 as I was led to believe that the EIHA gave the club a deadline of yesterday to sort the problem out.

buzzwagon said:
Does anyone know the outcome of the "Stand off" regarding NIHL1 & NIHL2 as I was led to believe that the EIHA gave the club a deadline of yesterday to sort the problem out.
An update would be good by either side on a number of fronts.

Now that the new DCF committee have had a few weeks at the helm are they any clearer on the way forward?

Has Nigel Davies (new DCF treasurer) been able to form an opinion as to the state of the DCF accounts (I realise this depends on how much historical information the previous regime have let him have sight of however as Reagan remains a trustee surely he has provided the relevant documents (or maybe not).

As there seems to be an alleged large hole in the accounts as commented on this forum on many occasions over the past 2 months; is the explanation (as most expect) that funds had been taken out of the charity to keep the Elite Team trading over the past 1-2 years and as a result a significant non payment of ice fees creating a financial burden on the new DCF.

If the above is proven then the DCF funds were misappropriated and the Charity Commission should be informed/updated.

If Nigel Davies and Rob Shanahan ( and others on the DCF committee) feel this is the case then Reagan has the opportunity to make good the deficit along with an explanation or an EGM should be called with a view to removing him as a trustee. THiS MUST HAPPEN FOR THE DCF TO MOVE FORWARD.

Kipper is absolutely right that every DCF member paid their subs/match fees in good faith and if these monies had been used correctly there should be no debt. It is great news about the new ownership and the club now moving forward but would the club have gone under (or even disappeared) over the past 12-18 months without the DCF funds and how ironic that the club is rising like a Phoenix from the ashes whilst the parents who did all that was required of them may face the prospect of no ice hockey for their kids.

In the meantime with the new season fast approaching it would be good for either/both Cardiff Fire or the DCF explain how the NIHL teams will be competing in 2014/15.

Mark and Rob over to you,.