Challenge Cup Semi Final - Steelers Vs Nottingham Panthers

Chris

Administrator
Can't see Steelers winning in the NIC to be honest, so we might as well start preparing for an absolute demolishing when we have to play the Panthers in Nottingham :(

Chris.

What is the challenge cup?! It's all about the league.

Oh...

At least the 2nd leg is slightly more competitive at 4-2 than at 4-0. To be honest I'm not even bothered, which is quite sad for how much hockey means to moi.

Anything can happen between now and next Wednesday. Msybe St Pierre will have a sudden bout of food poisoning, or Galbraith will succumb (probably not wise to attempt that word right now) to a few more pies.

Pah, it's only a game.

It did just take me a while to write this. :D

Taken from The Cat's Whiskers (Jono):

"Now, I should be euphoric at tonight’s result and I’m really pleased we beat them yet again, but contemplating tonight’s experience on the drive home left me feeling as bit sad. To explain, I have been watching Panthers and Steelers clashes for seventeen years, I have been part of 10,000+ crowds for a league game in Sheffield, I have seen Steelers teams look like they’d rather die than be beaten by the Panthers, I have come away hating the place and never wanting to go again, only to be tempted back by the next game. To see such a poor crowd tonight (which the weather had some effect, I accept that) for a Steelers v Panthers clash was quite shocking, there couldn’t have been much more than 3,000 in attendance if that. As the game went on there was virtually zero atmosphere, you could clearly hear the players talking, the officials shouting and the crack of the puck as it landed on the sticks. It just didn’t seem right. For the first time ever tonight I felt that hockey in Sheffield is in its death throws, in less then 12 months the team has become a pathetic, empty shell of what it used to be. I actually began to genuinely pity them as their quite dreadful team skated around looking like they couldn’t give a toss, and they actually let us steamroll them, when we weren’t that great ourselves tonight. The Steelers have a great many problems, it doesn’t look good for them. Sorry to end on a bit of a downer."

I think that sums up the situation quite well which is a bit of a shame.

So - assuming it's going to be Panthers and I've never noticed them or Devils playing at home on a Friday... potential dates for final...

Tues-Thurs 22nd-24th Feb: although given past arrangements of the next round in cup competitions, this may be too early.

Tues-Thurs 9th-11th March: Would be ridiculous though as Devils are playing on Friday 12th in Belfast.

Midweek after the season has ended, not ideal preperation for either team with play-off quarters that weekend.

Looks very much like midweek unless league fixtures are changed? I'm keeping a days annual leave spare just in case it's a midweek trip to the away leg :D

Sorry for the double post - I missed one.

Devils and Panthers are not playing on Sunday 28th Feb (this is according to Elite site). And Devils are also playing away to Panthers on the Saturday - so possibly double header away? Or unlikley, but Nottingham could make the Saturday game a league and cup double and have the 2nd leg in Cardiff on the Sunday?

If they sort it out quickly after the 2nd leg, then possibly midweek before and then the Sunday? although this would mean playing them 3 times in 5 days. Would be ideal for me as I'm off the end of that week for my birthday and could just extend it a bit more to add an extra day at the beginning / end depending on when the away leg is.

Finny

According to my fixtures, both teams have Sunday 21st Feb and Sunday 28th Feb free?

As already mentioned, we also play them away on Sat 27th. I would rather that be changed to a CC Final game and so we play the Final back to back i.e

Sun 21st (H)
Sat 27th (A)

or

Sat 27th (A)
Sun 28th (H)

And then move the league game to one of the Sundays.

Finny

Jones72 said:
Same here...but then I'll be snowboarding for two weeks so who cares about hockey?!
Request to ban Jones72 for blasphemy?

Is anyone else starting worry about James too? First he "hopes it works out for the Steelers", then we discover that he has booked a holiday during the season!

How much longer before we need to have a "Vote of No Confidence" in him?????????

James

Administrator
Finny said:
Jones72 said:
Same here...but then I'll be snowboarding for two weeks so who cares about hockey?!
Is anyone else starting worry about James too? First he "hopes it works out for the Steelers", then we discover that he has booked a holiday during the season!

How much longer before we need to have a "Vote of No Confidence" in him?????????
:D I will probably be back for the sunday, such things are unfortunately unavoidable.

Feel free to place a vote of no confidence, I have both the admin password and access to the server :lol:

ASHIPP

James said:
Finny said:
Jones72 said:

:D I will probably be back for the sunday, such things are unfortunately unavoidable.

Feel free to place a vote of no confidence, I have both the admin password and access to the server :lol:
Yeah, but we could tie you up in the gents' loos and get Lucy Fur to force that information out of you! And if that doesn't work, we'll deprive you of hotdogs in the Blue Tent for a whole season and then you'll cough! :lol:

Shannon did say on Real Radio that if we were to play nottingham in the final we would look to play them on Feb 28th at home

ASHIPP

Latest South Wales Echo article headlines ' Nottingham Panthers are favourites to win the Elite League Challange Cup........'. Maybe so based on their league form.
I have always loved the Underdog Ethic. :twisted: Nobody thought the Devils stood a chance against Coventry in 2006 and look what happened. :cool:

Where'd you get that from? what i can see is - Panthers are in the box seat Feb 05 2010
NOTTINGHAM Panthers are hot favourites to face Cardiff Devils in ice hockey’s Challenge Cup final
All the article says is they are most likely to reach final :? not win the cup.

ASHIPP

nmase20 said:
Where'd you get that from? what i can see is - Panthers are in the box seat Feb 05 2010
NOTTINGHAM Panthers are hot favourites to face Cardiff Devils in ice hockey’s Challenge Cup final
All the article says is they are most likely to reach final :? not win the cup.
Did I misread in a hurry going to work? :oops: Well, I'm sure that the media will still predict a Panthers' win based on their good form. :mrgreen: Hopefully a little bit of extra pressure there also whilst chasing strongly for the League title. :twisted: The Devils would still be labelled underdogs.

A

Anonymous

Of course the Devils will be underdogs. Lets be fair, the Panthers are the better side, yes we can beat them, but the home tie will be crucial. Anything less than a 2 goal lead and its curtains IMO.