Continental Cup

lloyd_jeff

Don't think we should consider something said on a podcast between 3 mates as absolute fact. Especially someone with such a questionable personality as Mac arruth.
Yeah cos the wealth of player discussions on here come from rock solid definitive facts. As for Macarruth questionable personality, unless anyone here is planning to have a personal relationship with him, ignore them.

Devil94

Yeah cos the wealth of player discussions on here come from rock solid definitive facts. As for Macarruth questionable personality, unless anyone here is planning to have a personal relationship with him, ignore them.
If it's a personality that divides dressing rooms, makes it shit to go to training every day and therefore affects teammates performances then you certainly don't ignore.

moggy#9

If it's a personality that divides dressing rooms, makes it shit to go to training every day and therefore affects teammates performances then you certainly don't ignore.
I have no particular knowledge of carruth's personality. I do wonder though, based on the fact that we know he's a winner, and the evidence of the last season, whether he may have been calling out certain team mates for poor performance. If that were the case, they were the ones who needed to be shown the door - not arguably the best goalie we've ever had.

lloyd_jeff

Yet PR has approached him. You’ll always have disagreements and conflict in dressing rooms.

Devil94

I have no particular knowledge of carruth's personality. I do wonder though, based on the fact that we know he's a winner, and the evidence of the last season, whether he may have been calling out certain team mates for poor performance. If that were the case, they were the ones who needed to be shown the door - not arguably the best goalie we've ever had.
Don't have specific knowledge either, but it's pretty well known that he's a difficult character to have in your locker room. And I think that goes a long way to explaining why a netminder of his ability didn't have a solid AHL career and has never played in any of Europe's top leagues.
You also need to ask yourself why was a player of that quality available to come to the EIHL aged 29? Which is pretty prime for a goalie. And why was it made clear to him well before the end of the season that he was not coming back so he signed elsewhere? Wasn't to do with on ice performances.

moggy#9

Don't have specific knowledge either, but it's pretty well known that he's a difficult character to have in your locker room. And I think that goes a long way to explaining why a netminder of his ability didn't have a solid AHL career and has never played in any of Europe's top leagues.
You also need to ask yourself why was a player of that quality available to come to the EIHL aged 29? Which is pretty prime for a goalie. And why was it made clear to him well before the end of the season that he was not coming back so he signed elsewhere? Wasn't to do with on ice performances.
That's fair.

JC23

But does it? He has won one championship in his career (WHL) and the playoffs with us. That's definitely not a serial winner. As Devil94 noted, there is more to winning than an individual being a great player.
And since he left us, he’s broken shutout records and won the league in his next season away from Cardiff.

moggy#9

But does it? He has won one championship in his career (WHL) and the playoffs with us. That's definitely not a serial winner. As Devil94 noted, there is more to winning than an individual being a great player.
But winning, particularly in North America, can depend upon so many factors, including the luck of what organisation drafts you. There have been many great players in the NHL for instance the have never won a cup ring.

E.D.S.

Thread starter #72
Winners and highly competitive players don’t always make the best team mates. Reason being is that they aren’t in the majority. They are outcasts, unique and selfish individuals. They are a pain to live with, travel with and room with. I’ve had plenty of those but they are usually in a different class when it comes to their sport. I’d have Carruth any day. Any decent coach will be able to manage him.

kettdevil1

But winning, particularly in North America, can depend upon so many factors, including the luck of what organisation drafts you. There have been many great players in the NHL for instance the have never won a cup ring.
Absolutely - no criticism of Carruth intended, merely pointing out that for someone who has been hailed as a serial winner, he hasn't won much

Just heard him say he's staying away from JB Testimonial not to ruffle the feathers of certain touchy personalities (or similar to that)
Also mentioned we may meet in pre-season

JC23

I can't find the actual league site but this seems to suggest they were second unless I am misreading it?

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/ice-hockey/denmark/metal-ligaen/standings/#/jHMd9ogk/table/overall
Just checked Elite Prospects, and I’m wrong! You’re right. My apologies!

I swear I saw a bunch of celebratory stuff on Instagram/Twitter around Mac, did Herning win the Pokal or something? :confused:

Edit; that was it, they beat Aalborg in the Pokal final.
I’m not going entirely crazy.