Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

phil PLT said:
Nice to see that you support your team when it suits you :roll:
I'm only joking. I couldn't make it to the game for personal reasons but I'm gutted we have thrown away our chance of making the Challenge Cup semi-finals. As I'm sure you'll know, the Blaze have had some great (and not so great) moments in the later stages of the Challenge Cup in recent years and is still a great trophy to win.

kettdevil1

Cracking game of hockey with the Devils worthy winners. Blaze looked sporadically dangerous (mostly on the powerplay) but we always looked to have just a little bit of an edge.

Fantastic support was given by a large travelling army of fans and the team really responded. I have rarely seen so much effort from a team, players were throwing themselves in front of pucks all night and although the passing wasn't great the Blaze couldn't cope with the workrate of the Devils all night, especially the first line. They are still not clicking 100% but it is getting there and the effort put in (especially) by Smith was excellent.

Carson was in one of his "call everything" moods but to be fair he was pretty consistent all night. Campbell got 10 minutes for throwing down his gloves when Phil clearly wasn't interested whilst Towe also got 10 minutes near the end.

Richie was immense all night and was a worthy MOM but for me Miller put in a great nights work and credit to Stevie Lyle in nets - he was solid when he needed to be and held firm for the most part.

For the Blaze Lee is such a composed defenceman and Hirsch has the best mask ever.

Great win though - as ever iwhoever finishes above the Blaze I suspect will be champions - this was a good start.

kettdevil1 said:
Cracking game of hockey with the Devils worthy winners. Blaze looked sporadically dangerous (mostly on the powerplay) but we always looked to have just a little bit of an edge.

Fantastic support was given by a large travelling army of fans and the team really responded. I have rarely seen so much effort from a team, players were throwing themselves in front of pucks all night and although the passing wasn't great the Blaze couldn't cope with the workrate of the Devils all night, especially the first line. They are still not clicking 100% but it is getting there and the effort put in (especially) by Smith was excellent.

Carson was in one of his "call everything" moods but to be fair he was pretty consistent all night. Campbell got 10 minutes for throwing down his gloves when Phil clearly wasn't interested whilst Towe also got 10 minutes near the end.

Richie was immense all night and was a worthy MOM but for me Miller put in a great nights work and credit to Stevie Lyle in nets - he was solid when he needed to be and held firm for the most part.

For the Blaze Lee is such a composed defenceman and Hirsch has the best mask ever.

Great win though - as ever iwhoever finishes above the Blaze I suspect will be champions - this was a good start.
Good to see Miller have a decent game, as after last night the jury were well and truly out ;)

kettdevil1

Good to see Miller have a decent game, as after last night the jury were well and truly out ;)[/quote]

Wasn't there yesterday but tonight he gave 100% every shift. 2 goals is a decent return.

Russky

Dai Vader said:
Don't apologise to us, apologise to Hutch next time he is down, only joking pal :D :) ;)
Taken in the spirit it was meant! I dont think I'll bother, for one he probably wont know what I was on about and secondly he might think I was trying to pick a fight with him! Even I'm not that stupid! :D

Russky

Meanwhile back on topic! :D

Good performance from what i gleen from MNL coverage! Sounded as if it were a good game! I bet the guys will be well chuffed! Pity it didnt double up as a league game as well!!! :p

Finny

Gazza272 said:
The Devils in the EIHL era have continued their streak of NEVER losing their first COMPETITIVE game at the skydome.

Long may it continue :D
I remember you pointing this out last season and thinking "that's the stupidest fact ever - and it has to be wrong..."

But it's not. And it is quite incredible.

It's also true for the BNL season before the EIHL started. In fact, the only time the Blaze have ever beaten us in Coventry in the first competitive game of the season is in 'that' season.

steve said:
"MORE NOISE IN A LIBRARY, MORE NOISE IN A LIBRARY..."

:p :p :p
I am SO proud of myself for starting that chant last night! (Even if it was stolen from the Sheffield game a couple of weeks ago :D )

It actually seemed to bother the Coventry fans - unlike the Sheffield fans who I don’t think would wake up from their comas for anything other than a free T-Shirt of course (that was the ONLY time they made any noise)!!!!!!!!!

I loved that the Coventry DJ (you got fired from the radio, you got fired from the radio) bit and had a comeback the first time, but funnily enough didn’t seem to come back the second time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza272

gandl said:
[

It actually seemed to bother the Coventry fans - unlike the Sheffield fans who I don’t think would wake up from their comas for anything other than a free T-Shirt of course (that was the ONLY time they made any noise)!!!!!!!!!

Trust me Yorkshire folk love a free T-Shirt! :lol:

gandl said:
steve said:
"MORE NOISE IN A LIBRARY, MORE NOISE IN A LIBRARY..."

:p :p :p
I am SO proud of myself for starting that chant last night! (Even if it was stolen from the Sheffield game a couple of weeks ago :D )

Ah, so that was you :lol: Loved it when someone spotted the Blaze fans leaving 10 minutes before the end too.... that woman gave us the "evils :evil: " after the "We can see you sneaking out over there" chants :lol:

Fab atmosphere and the drummer chap did a great job, even if it did deafen my girlfriend :lol:

Great all round performance from both the players and the fans who did not give up all night.

steve

i think thats the first time i've ever heard the away fans singing 'ON YOUR OWN ON YOUR OWN' to the home fan(yes no 's') shouting for his team! awesome!