Deluca signs for Storm

Devils86

ISTR he scarpered rather than provide a second sample....and the EIHL are ok with this?! Just let him join, no suspension for making the league look like a joke? (Admittedly the league do that themselves sometimes)

FIFA banned players for months (ISTR Rio Ferdinand) for doing the same thing. Whilst EIHL have no worldwide jurisdiction if the corrupt lot over at FIFA could get it right surely the EIHL could at least acknowledge an issue...

Devils86

First the Glasgow situation, now this. I'll keep saying it, this league needs proper leadership and governance.
Interesting as to where the line is for fan bases...

I genuinely think the line may be violence. If you have a player who has done some fraud or drugs then it's apparently ok to sign him. (However in this case I think DeLuca and Storm are taking the piss out of the EIHL)

Sign someone who has a violent (or worse) past (especially if DV involved) and that's a 'nope'.

I'm not disagreeing with the line (no pun intended with De Luca), it's just interesting.

In football there was the issue with the Plymouth goalkeeper who killed two children when driving under the influence (I think)....that was an 'issue' but he played for Argyle for years afterwards.

And I'm sure there are more notable examples that I'm not aware of.

Anyway - sorry if this derails the forum!

moggy#9

Interesting as to where the line is for fan bases...

I genuinely think the line may be violence. If you have a player who has done some fraud or drugs then it's apparently ok to sign him. (However in this case I think DeLuca and Storm are taking the piss out of the EIHL)

Sign someone who has a violent (or worse) past (especially if DV involved) and that's a 'nope'.

I'm not disagreeing with the line (no pun intended with De Luca), it's just interesting.

In football there was the issue with the Plymouth goalkeeper who killed two children when driving under the influence (I think)....that was an 'issue' but he played for Argyle for years afterwards.

And I'm sure there are more notable examples that I'm not aware of.

Anyway - sorry if this derails the forum!
Not derailing at all. I think that's a fascinating insight.

E.D.S.

I'd like to think the league agreed to this move otherwise it's just descended in to more of a farce than it normally is. I'm all for giving people a chance when they've genuinely made a mistake (no idea if he did or not) but - and let's just imagine the Steelers have a moral compass - you can imagine the scenario where the Steelers refused to sign him because of his actions and the controversy that surrounds him only to find that Manchester couldn't care less and got him in anyway.

The_Stick_

From what I’ve heard, his suspension came from smoking weed, back in Canada. When it is legal over there, and he wasn’t breaking any laws i think it’s hard for him to be continually punished. If the offence happened in the UK my opinion would differ, but in this case I am on the fence.

JC23

From what I’ve heard, his suspension came from smoking weed, back in Canada. When it is legal over there, and he wasn’t breaking any laws i think it’s hard for him to be continually punished. If the offence happened in the UK my opinion would differ, but in this case I am on the fence.
As you’ve stated here, he was banned for weed, and people are in uproar calling the league a joke.

Yet, Ben Solder (also on the Storm roster) was banned for cocaine, and nobody has batted an eyelid - admittedly he wasn’t in competition at the time, and his THREE month suspension was cut to a one month, but still.

NathanG

If he's smoked a bit of weed and that was the reason for his failed drug test then I'd have no issue with him playing again in the EIHL. It's hardly a bad thing

ASHIPP

This action sends out the wrong message. At the highest levels of our sport in North America, the use of substances or alcohol (recreational or otherwise) carries severe punishments...heavy fines, suspensions, even contract sanctions.

Surely if our own league also wants to be taken seriously, there has to be some sort of consistent moral compass. Or doesn't it matter anymore because DeLuca has been a good player in the past and Storm want to start winning games?

Last edited: