Deluca signs for Storm

The_Stick_

This action sends out the wrong message. At the highest levels of our sport in North America, the use of substances or alcohol (recreational or otherwise) carries severe punishments...heavy fines, suspensions, even contract sanctions.

Surely if our own league also wants to be taken seriously, there has to be some sort of consistent moral compass. Or doesn't it matter anymore because DeLuca has been a good player in the past and Storm want to start winning g?
So how did DeLuce get a job with Kansas after being released from Sheffield?

Devil94

If he only used weed in the off season, then if it was up to me he shouldn't have even lost his job with Sheffield, never mind not be allowed back. Cannabis in Canada is regulated pretty much the same as alcohol, it's no big deal. The uproar at the time I assumed it was a lot worse than that. In that case good luck to him and hopefully he can improve that Storm team.

Wannabe2

Anyway his first game is against the Steelers, so come on Deluca you beauty blow them away, hopefully Steelers will make a hash of it, storm will make a joint effort against them, no dopey penalties, and no spliff decisions by the stripeys.

Devils86

I'm hardly in uproar....I don't know the 'ins and outs' of the matter as nobody was told. Its all conjecture, some people were told/heard it was Coke some heard it was weed - the issues surrounding his next move indicate it was probably weed given the different juridictional approaches around the world. ISTR De Luca being banned for the EIHL season and simply walking away from the league...(???)

Irrespective of your views on weed lets approach this from a process view point. The ban given to De Luca got him out of the EIHL for the period intended, so you could say it did its job. But did it punish De Luca? Did it send the right message to others?

NOW BEING VERY CAREFUL HERE...NOT COMPARING TO ANYTHING ELSE RECENTLY

De Luca essentially left the jurisdiction to escape his ban. And now thats expired he has come back, without issue. Admittedly he wasn't found guilty of anything criminal but the fella essentially stuck two fingers up to the EIHL drug policy and now expects to come back without issue. And the league just say 'welcome back'...? For me that doesn't show the league in a good light - all I'm saying.

Also - points re:Ben Solder - absolutely no idea what happened or who he is/was. My position on this has nothing to do with the fact he is/was a Steeler. Its a respect for process thing.

The_Stick_

I'm hardly in uproar....I don't know the 'ins and outs' of the matter as nobody was told. Its all conjecture, some people were told/heard it was Coke some heard it was weed - the issues surrounding his next move indicate it was probably weed given the different juridictional approaches around the world. ISTR De Luca being banned for the EIHL season and simply walking away from the league...(???)

Irrespective of your views on weed lets approach this from a process view point. The ban given to De Luca got him out of the EIHL for the period intended, so you could say it did its job. But did it punish De Luca? Did it send the right message to others?

NOW BEING VERY CAREFUL HERE...NOT COMPARING TO ANYTHING ELSE RECENTLY

De Luca essentially left the jurisdiction to escape his ban. And now thats expired he has come back, without issue. Admittedly he wasn't found guilty of anything criminal but the fella essentially stuck two fingers up to the EIHL drug policy and now expects to come back without issue. And the league just say 'welcome back'...? For me that doesn't show the league in a good light - all I'm saying.

Also - points re:Ben Solder - absolutely no idea what happened or who he is/was. My position on this has nothing to do with the fact he is/was a Steeler. Its a respect for process thing.
He never escaped his ban, his ban expired on 21st September 2022, after it started on the 21st June 2022. It was the teams decision to not play him during this period (which I do think was the right call on Sheffields behalf) and now his ban has been fully served and there is absolutely no reason why the league should prevent him from playing here.

Devils86

Found the following which is pretty clear on what happened. Personally I find it laughable to suspend a guy during off-season but there you go, thats a problem for the panel/court - not the league or De Luca and the Storm. Maybe he just got lucky. I'm not going to waste energy going around in circles - it is what it is.

He had a provisional ban 'which he didn't respect' by leaving to play back in NA. However when you look at the timeline its less clear whats going on. Process should have been a lot quicker. Be interesting to see what the jurisdictional issues would be (i.e. whether the UKAD had any say over De Luca playing in NA - obviously not!)

Summary of timeline:
26 Sept - Tested
26 Nov - Player and Steelers informed of failed result; and De Luca suspended
7 Dec - signs for ECHL side Trois-Riviers Lions (plays 10 games)
8 Dec - provisional ban from UKAD
21 Dec - Charged by UKAD
29 Jan - signs for Kansas Mavericks (plays 21 games)
8 June - Case heard by UK Anti-Doping Panel
21 June - 21 Sept - Banned

Taken from: https://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/deluca-banned-for-three-months/

"Ice Hockey player Anthony DeLuca has been banned from all sport for a period of three months following a first Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) for the Presence of a Prohibited Substance in his urine Sample.

On 26 September 2021 UKAD collected an In-Competition urine Sample from Mr DeLuca at a game between Sheffield Steelers and Cardiff Devils at the Utilita Arena in Sheffield. Analysis of Mr DeLuca’s Sample returned an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) for carboxy-THC, a metabolite of THC, the psychoactive compound found in cannabis.

THC is a Specified Substance that is prohibited In-Competition only under the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) 2021 Prohibited List.

On 8 December 2021, UKAD notified Mr DeLuca of the AAF and issued him with a Provisional Suspension from sport.

On 21 December 2021 UKAD charged Mr DeLuca with the commission of two ADRVs, for the Presence and Use of a Prohibited Substance. Mr DeLuca admitted the Presence ADRV, however disputed the Use ADRV and the proposed sanction. The case was therefore referred to the independent National Anti-Doping Panel (NADP) for a hearing.

Mr DeLuca’s case was heard by an NADP Tribunal on 8 June 2022. The NADP Tribunal found the Presence charge to be proved and concluded that Mr DeLuca’s ingestion of cannabis occurred Out-of-Competition in a context unrelated to sport. The NADP therefore imposed a three-month period of Ineligibility, in accordance with new rules introduced by the 2021 World Anti-Doping Code, which provides reduced sanctions for some recreational drugs known as Substances of Abuse.

Mr DeLuca did not respect the terms of his Provisional Suspension by playing in the East Coast Hockey League in the United States and Canada. Mr DeLuca’s ban is therefore deemed to have commenced on 21 June 2022, being the date of the NADP Decision, and will expire at 11:59 on 21 September 2022."

Anyway, lets hope he scores some goals against the Orange