Devils v Giants - 17/02 - 7:30pm

Great display by the Devils. McMorrow was made to look a total waste of an import slot tonight, yet the players still played a physical hitting game. Tylors hit on McMorrow was worth the 2mins too :lol:

Koop11

It’s clear that since our zero point weekend almost two weeks ago, Gerad has said some harsh words, including the change of captaincy and it appears to have worked well.

Two elements of our game have changed for the better. We’re worker smarter and not simple working like headless chickens and also our discipline is much better. Yes we took some penalties towards the end of the game but dare I say you can afford to when you’re 3 goals up. We’re not taken to stupid blatant penalties. We’re not taking them at crucial times of the game. We’re not retaliating and we’re also accepting the officials’ decisions and not mouthing off which is always the most frustrating call to take. It’s essential we continue in this vain if we are to continue winning.

Last night I really struggled to pick MoM although back to back shut outs is an example of what a player we have in Stevie Lyle. Despite the odd rebound, Lyle has had me eat my hat this season and has been a great goal tender this year. Long may that continue. I thought Voth last night had his best game for us in 2010. He worked his socks off and was a close call for MoM. Smithy is covering so much ice and his vision is second to none. Max pulled off some great plays and Tyler brought his usual 100%. Huge credit must go to the Miller, Finnerty, Voth line. They’ve gone up a great in work rate and last night looked like they’d be playing together for years.

The most encouraging thing for me last night was our defence. We gave Belfast nothing. Belfast had plenty of puck and counter attacked well but as soon as they hit our blue line we broke it up. Hartwick, Jarvis and Richardson in particular lead from the back.

Let’s hope we can take this display to Coventry this evening.

Wannabe2

What a great game last night, with every player showing why G had signed them, we played a very good Giants team last night, and made them look mediocre. For the first time in a while we played totally as a team, and not individuals, and my god did it pay off. This team when it has the right mentality, is capable of destroying anyone. Stevie had MOM, and rightly so, but it could have so easily been awarded to the whole team, who played crisp clinical hockey. Thanks guys, and thanks G for a great night of hockey, the fans needed a night like that and got pure enjoyment by the bucket load. This is a great time of the year to be on song, so keep it going lads there are two trophies out there that you are all capable of winning, and hopefully the best team in the land will do it for the best fans in the land.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS. ;)

drainage

Got to say that was one of the best displays this season - calm , controlled, defensively strong.

For me the way we ignored Mcmorrows somewhat pointless baiting (much reduced from previous encounters it has to be said) said it all.

and I never condone giving away pointless penalties but Tylor - way to go !!! Ole donkey boy was made to look a prize ass !!!

mazza03

Ghost Dog said:
By the way, regarding the back gate, the above post is correct, the council has put their own padlock on the gate for some reason so until we get a key, it's completely beyond our control. Regarding the queueing by Toys R Us, there is another way back to the link road, if you head straight on at the pool instead of turning right you can skirt around Dunleavy Drive, turn right at the lights by the Harvester and you'll find yourself back at the link road.
Or if you turn left by the Harvester and follow the road you come out by Starbucks/Asda and you can cut through Grangetown or get back onto the road that leads to the tunnel.

wildthing74

Great workmanlike performance by all the guys tonight.Everybody gave it 100% on every shift and matched their opposite and more every time we stepped on the ice.
What won us the game was our self control.The usual goading by Mcmorrow and in particular szwez who was spoiling for a fight all night and Hartwick seemed to be the guy he was after most met with a stoney resistance from all our guys.
Miller laughed in Donkeys face and skated away.All the donkey could do was shrug his shoulders and skate off having again achieved nothing for his team.I have been quite entertained by him this season but have to say for me he had his most pointless performace against us this season.Could not provoke Brad who proved he's a player that McMorrow will never be,nailed himself when trying to hit Tylor and getting done himself.Fair play Michel has got stones to do that.
Defence was superb all night and made the shut out easier than you would expect against such a potent strike force.Did anybody notice the likes of Shields,Cheverie,Szwez etc?For me although Romfo has taken a lot of plaudits for his performance I thought Hartwick was rock solid all night.Played the body and kept the puck moving out of the zone all night.Nothing fancy but very effective especially as we had quite a few penalty kills towards the end.
If we can match that gutsy effort in the 2 legs over the Panthers that could be the first pot of the season and hopefully push us on to the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure Adams matches Hartwick up against Szwez and it's why Szwez (arguably the league's best player) hasn't offered a lot against us this season. He seemed to be in Hartwick's pocket last night.

Gazza272

Soundwave1 said:
I'm pretty sure Adams matches Hartwick up against Szwez and it's why Szwez (arguably the league's best player) hasn't offered a lot against us this season. He seemed to be in Hartwick's pocket last night.

Could also be a hangover from the scrap they had in the Challenge cup semi final first leg. Whatever it is Szwez really doesnt seem to like Hartwick one bit :lol:

ASHIPP

Now THAT'S what I call the Cardiff Devils! :cool: Controlled, composed, confident fantastic team effort last night. :cool: Franny says it was all about puck possession and the Guys did just that. Even when they didn't have the puck, they hassled and intercepted. Stevie, another awesome shutout (and sweet, against his old team), d unit solid and together, forwards putting away the chances.
Last night I saw a team playing with self belief and confidence - haven't seen that for a while. They really wanted that win and it showed. The test was going to be against the teams above them and didn't give Giants a chance. The fast and attacking attitude is the style that works- carry on like that and the Guys are most definitely back in it for the CC and who knows, a top 3 place is possible.
Loving the Vother-Finnerty-Miller line - Vother was definitely shutting up any critics who ever thought he hasn't got 'it' and great for Smithy to finally get that 4th goal, he tried so hard for that. All awesome :cool:

mazza03

Vother was a different man last night as was the team it's the first time I have enjoyed a game for quite a while, it was a shame I had to leave after the 2nd period.

voth26

have to say that was the best game seen for a long time, thought voth looked a lot more relaxed and had a very good game although at the end of the game his body language was not great!!! :?: does this mean he's made up his mind not to come back really hope not, really would like to see him back,lets hope his friendship with finnerty lures him for another year

Ghost Dog said:
By the way, regarding the back gate, the above post is correct, the council has put their own padlock on the gate for some reason so until we get a key, it's completely beyond our control.
So who's gonna bring the bolt cutters next match? :twisted:

osh

ASHIPP said:
Now THAT'S what I call the Cardiff Devils! :cool: Controlled, composed, confident fantastic team effort last night. :cool: Franny says it was all about puck possession and the Guys did just that. Even when they didn't have the puck, they hassled and intercepted. Stevie, another awesome shutout (and sweet, against his old team), d unit solid and together, forwards putting away the chances.
Last night I saw a team playing with self belief and confidence - haven't seen that for a while. They really wanted that win and it showed. The test was going to be against the teams above them and didn't give Giants a chance. The fast and attacking attitude is the style that works- carry on like that and the Guys are most definitely back in it for the CC and who knows, a top 3 place is possible.
Loving the Vother-Finnerty-Miller line - Vother was definitely shutting up any critics who ever thought he hasn't got 'it' and great for Smithy to finally get that 4th goal, he tried so hard for that. All awesome :cool:
Would agree with with most of your post ASHIPP, good to see a game that we were far and away the better team. As for 'shutting up Vothers critics' well, one game won't do that i'm afraid. We all know he's capable of doing it, that is why it's so frustrating the way he has been performing prior to last nights game. We need to maintain that level of effort and desire for the rest of the season. If we go in to the play off period on top form, there is no reason why we can't beat any team in the league. Discipline is key, staying out of the sin bin by not taking stupid penalties will make sure we play with regular lines and that has to benefit us. As already stated elsewhere, the Giants were made to look pretty average last night !

I'd say the main difference to our game last night was composure. We weren't scrambling around every time we took possession, we took our time, made the play and scored goals. We also pressured Belfast every time they were on the puck, giving no time or space to their skilled guys.
Great performance guys, keep it up!

Special mention has to go to Vother who stepped it up massively last night, Max who is the best open ice hitter in the league (imho), Lyle who stood solid, and Hartwick for staying standing against the barrage from Swez!

Third place is very do-able.

Very good team performance really. Lyle and the D looked solid, and the forwards got the job done. We didn't panic and played it cool. The Giants looked very average.

Shut McMuffin up by letting the hockey do the talking.