Devils Vs Blaze - League - 11th March 23 - 19:00 FO

ASHIPP

The highlight of the entire night was when Todd said "give it up for home team". Instead of Cardiff devils....he started saying "your Belfast ", then he apologised and carried on saying Cardiff Devils.....

Guess we know who he's rooting for this season then.
How embarrassing for fans and the Owners. Perhaps TK wanted to be in Belfast, or anywhere else but Cardiff after the disastrous weekend the team have just had. Who could blame him?

At least the Owners got an opportunity to see exactly why so many people are frustrated with this season's version of the Cardiff Devils....or had they left the building before the end of the game?!

The legend that is Andrew Hotham was in residence tonight. Great to see him again. He was wearing a Devils' jersey. Why oh why didn't someone give him the rest of the kit and put him on in OT? He could have given this lot a masterclass in scoring a GWG.

Rhyan48

Never thought I would be bored of ice hockey and not wanting to go but this season I can not wait for it to end ! And in douts of my season tickets 100% it’s piss poor and has been all season ! It’s a bore fest

Diablo3

Er Todd needs a big summer? What are you all smoking? He's an owner. He doesn't need to do anything and anyone think he might have been joking with the announcement given we are there next week?

BostonBart22

Cracking game I thought with the dross we been watching lately, plenty of hits , notable one brandt mid ice hit, fight, coaches verbal to each other end of 2nd, end to end stuff both teams, credit to blaze for making a game of it , most away teams just sit back, they could be a dark horses for a playoff trophy. But most of all Hotham stole the show on the stage and a great montage, well done on whoever put that together .

MA18

If after watching the Hotham video they weren’t fired up then they never will be!
Majority played well, nice to see Crandall out a shift in for the first time in a while.
Reid should be packing up the bags now, looks like he checked out weeks ago.
Louis can’t find it easy being a healthy scratch, if he is then I think that’s him fine unfortunately. We miss his big, calming body on the ice though.

To let them come back into the game three times over is inexcusable. Bowns poor on second and third goal, certainly missing a class keeper

Nice to see players stepping up in the third although I think that was Brittans fight ti taje tonight.

Crawford missed the opportunity to push the attacker wider for the OT goal, once he was passed it was only ending one way.

As a team we played better but not as good as we all expect and hope for.
Sums up our season.

Swarley

Er Todd needs a big summer? What are you all smoking? He's an owner. He doesn't need to do anything and anyone think he might have been joking with the announcement given we are there next week?
Hardly a time to be joking when the team choked twice at home once in front of the owners and the second time in front of a legend

Last edited:
Tonight was only marginally better than last Thursday’s effort against the Storm, and being brutally honest, the Devils didn’t do enough to warrant the 2 points.

The success of the PP, all 8 seconds of it, was the Devils players never stood still, so the Blaze struggled to track which player was where. When you review when the Devils had a hot PP, (which in fairness was a while ago), the passing was crisp, hard and flat and players kept moving and cycling the puck, drawing opposition defence players out of position and invariably freeing up the extra man at the back post to slam the puck into a gaping net. Recently the PP has been statuesque and so predictable - other teams have done their homework, and we’ve been slow or react.

I have no idea why BD thought it was a wise move to out Reid out in overtime, especially when the Blaze kept rotating their lines. BD shortened the bench in the third and just like last Thursday, lines 1&2 were knackered. SanFord is possibly the fastest skater in the Devils line up, and imho, I don’t think Waller is that far behind - Reid on the other hand is not at the top end when it comes to speed and he was massively exposed when overtaken for the OT Blaze winner. The devils have previously had good success when using all four lines, perhaps BD has some personality issues with some players, but he is surely being found out for his lack of game and player management at the moment.

I’m sure BD a nice enough man, but he’s still a rookie coach whose idea of plan B is “see plan A“ . This is simply not the appropriate appointment for a team that alleges to aspire to compete for titles and trophies. Changes needed and rapido!

The highlight of the entire night was when Todd said "give it up for home team". Instead of Cardiff devils....he started saying "your Belfast ", then he apologised and carried on saying Cardiff Devils.....

Guess we know who he's rooting for this season then.
You must be one of the few who can hear what he says. I didn't know what he was on about Hotham until I worked it out for myself from the video.

Finny

Yup lot of fans looked fuming when he came out with it, I could understand slipping up if it was his first season with the club but he's been here how long and drops that after a hard ot loss, it's no secret that he's a Belfast fan but dropping that tonight was just salt in an already infected wound
Utter garbage. Todd announced for Belfast for several years. IIRC that’s the second time he has made the mistake as he did it once in the BBT too. I think he also once in the intro said welcome to Belfast a couple of years ago.

As someone who has watched the games from on the gantry where I can see Todd, there is nobody Todd likes to beat and hates to lose more than Belfast. Slightly ahead of Sheffield.