Devils Vs Blaze - PO 1/4 Final - 9th April 23 - 18:00 FO

Kevin roog

[Q

I've heard it argued that Dupont hasn't had the players that he needs to play his way. This seems like a bit of an excuse really. It's the coach's job to find a system that can be executed with the players he's got. Given the defensive frailties of the team, I wouldn't have been bothered if they'd adopted a neutral zone trap and looked to play on the break. Something I absolutely hate though is how cheaply we give up possession. It should be absolutely drummed into players that you don't dump the puck unless you have absolutely no choice. If an opponent wants the puck they should have to pay a price to get it. Similarly if a forward comes into our slot, they should expect to get punished for it. The problems with the coaching of the team isn't just about ability, it's about mindset.
Just play the left wing lock a la Mike Keenan

The_Stick_

If Louis leaves, it will have absolutely nothing to do with who the coach is. It’s his time unfortunately. Not been at his best since the league resumed after the Pandemic and I think we can improve. It will be hard to replace his on ice presence however

Swarley

If Louis leaves, it will have absolutely nothing to do with who the coach is. It’s his time unfortunately. Not been at his best since the league resumed after the Pandemic and I think we can improve. It will be hard to replace his on ice presence however
It'll definitely be a factor of who the coach is as to why he could be leaving, I'd also argue that since the pandemic the first season back he was faster, stronger and better, this season the entire d core looks absolutely lost and you can't blame that on players.

Dupont is so out of his depth it's beyond obvious at this point now.

[Q

I've heard it argued that Dupont hasn't had the players that he needs to play his way. This seems like a bit of an excuse really. It's the coach's job to find a system that can be executed with the players he's got. Given the defensive frailties of the team, I wouldn't have been bothered if they'd adopted a neutral zone trap and looked to play on the break. Something I absolutely hate though is how cheaply we give up possession. It should be absolutely drummed into players that you don't dump the puck unless you have absolutely no choice. If an opponent wants the puck they should have to pay a price to get it. Similarly if a forward comes into our slot, they should expect to get punished for it. The problems with the coaching of the team isn't just about ability, it's about mindset.
I would be really interested in what the game plan would be 'IF' DuPont had his 'own players'.

We seem to want to cycle the puck continually in the offensive zone, without putting pucks on net (particularly from the point). The amount of times we dump the puck in with only 1 forechecker (sometimes zero!) and allow the other team to very easily break out of their zone really puzzles me.

One thing that interested me last night was how when the Blaze pulled the nettie, how they kept possession in our zone and pinned us in for basically 3 minutes. Everyone constantly moving, net presence, someone quarterbacking from the blue line and a lot of 1 time passing to create the space. Essentially what we have wanted to see on our own PP.

Either way, I am genuinely happy we won and am looking forward to next weekend. Saturday will certainly be a different game from when they travelled down to us last week.

E.D.S.

Very happy to win as well but.... Im so tired of watching this brand of hockey. We looked clueless yesterday. We only needed one goal really to secure our spot and it speaks volumes that it was only achievable when they pulled the goalie. Regardless of Dupont having his players or not, the basics just aren't there. Systems, tactics, special teams, being able to exit the zone, retaining possession, cycling the puck... these are things you can teach a kids team. What I don't blame him for are the individual errors. Batch.... you can't coach that. Not interested, mindless defending. We had players last night aimlessly firing pucks down the ice when a pass was on. That's not the coaches fault. Not finding established lines and a way to play with the team we have, most definitely is his fault.

Anyone know if Penny is out for next week?

The_Stick_

It'll definitely be a factor of who the coach is as to why he could be leaving, I'd also argue that since the pandemic the first season back he was faster, stronger and better, this season the entire d core looks absolutely lost and you can't blame that on players.

I completely agree that DuPont is out of his depth, but I strongly believe this is will be Lou’s last season in pro hockey

Kevin roog

Very happy to win as well but.... Im so tired of watching this brand of hockey. We looked clueless yesterday. We only needed one goal really to secure our spot and it speaks volumes that it was only achievable when they pulled the goalie. Regardless of Dupont having his players or not, the basics just aren't there. Systems, tactics, special teams, being able to exit the zone, retaining possession, cycling the puck... these are things you can teach a kids team. What I don't blame him for are the individual errors. Batch.... you can't coach that. Not interested, mindless defending. We had players last night aimlessly firing pucks down the ice when a pass was on. That's not the coaches fault. Not finding established lines and a way to play with the team we have, most definitely is his fault.

Anyone know if Penny is out for next week?
Re penny, the answer I don’t know , but Todd said in the auction that he’s injured basically from the cheapest or dirtiest play in hockey , the submarine hit which happened in Belfast

kettdevil1

Probably, getting benched for 7 games and being part of the core group that's won championships I wouldn't want to stick around if Dupont is still coach.
But he stuck around when benched consistently by Lord when we had a spare import? I have no inside knowledge at all about him but my feeling is that he still has another year or two left in the tank.

I would rank him in the top two players in the league for toughness (with Gagnon) and although his mobility is sometimes questioned, his game has developed in such a way that positonally he is solid enough not to have to worry too much about that.

hip check

If I'm being absolutely honest we have very little chance of winning these play offs, my reasoning for that is quite simply that we can't consistently string a couple of consecutive wins together, we have a good game then a bad game to follow or visa versa, Belfast are also a far better team than us and Nottingham have the voodoo sign on us and we rarely get much joy against them especially at their gaff.

hip check

But he stuck around when benched consistently by Lord when we had a spare import? I have no inside knowledge at all about him but my feeling is that he still has another year or two left in the tank.

I would rank him in the top two players in the league for toughness (with Gagnon) and although his mobility is sometimes questioned, his game has developed in such a way that positonally he is solid enough not to have to worry too much about that.
Tbh they are the only 2 what you would call proper enforcers in the Elite, as an enforcer I would rate him as nothing special, Faryna did a better job against Gagnon when he was with us and he wasn't an out and out enforcer, I think they're a dying breed in the elite league now anyway.

kettdevil1

Tbh they are the only 2 what you would call proper enforcers in the Elite, as an enforcer I would rate him as nothing special, Faryna did a better job against Gagnon when he was with us and he wasn't an out and out enforcer, I think they're a dying breed in the elite league now anyway.
I would certainly agree with the last sentence but not convinced Faryna did a better job. Here is him taking on Gagnon, plenty of punches thrown but look at the quality:

Compare that with Louis' fight with him. The punch that takes Gagnon's helmet off still makes me wince, although to be fair, Gagnon barely flinches: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i3TAE8Z03rc

BostonBart22

If dupes is around will he be allowed to pick a team he can coach or leave it to the owners todd and franny to organise like this season...re..penny if fit , play him instead of reid , nice and fresh and prob raring to go and do the biz..got nothing to lose by swapping those 2

lloyd_jeff

When players struggle to position themselves and retain passes you’re never going to dominate zones. Now let’s look at the logic of this, players incapable of this, why, they’re all professionals with CV’s. Did we just sign idiots and then sign a few more, did they forget how to play, maybe they can’t retain basic formations, drills just go over their head, maybe it’s our medicals, the guy from Specsavers didn’t notice our signings are all blind as pucks. Two coaches and still the blame is the coach, sorry, these issues aren't going to resolve by getting a third coach or a new squad, unless the change is made on those recruiting & managing.

Last edited:

TL91

As you say, a lot of D not performing. Batch was unreal last season…form has fallen off a cliff this season. Jardine was the business before he left and looks very average now. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that but there must be something for such a long run not to change.

That was not an enjoyable game last night, it felt like they were on the powerplay most of the game.

Batch i really do not know what going on, it like he can not be assed anymore. Last night was beyond poor. Few stupid passes, shocking shot at goal then the goal itself. I am glad he was benched after that. He has been out muscled and out played most of this season and it not because the other player is better, it because they want it more! If he does not want to be here, bring Kelly in who does.

I love see Penny back and Reid dropped however being the coach`s mate is never going to happen.

Lets see what next week brings, hopefully an entertaining one

hip check

I would certainly agree with the last sentence but not convinced Faryna did a better job. Here is him taking on Gagnon, plenty of punches thrown but look at the quality:

Compare that with Louis' fight with him. The punch that takes Gagnon's helmet off still makes me wince, although to be fair, Gagnon barely flinches: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i3TAE8Z03rc
Louis is recognised as an enforcer which he is OK at, Faryna was more of an agitator and hard hitting who would drop the gloves when necessary which I think he was very good at.