Devils Vs Clan - 14 Dec 18 - CC 1/4 Final

Why is it? Certain players aren’t giving it their all and all us fans want is for the players to give their all every game. If they cant be arsed to play for us then leave, simple as that and find players who actually want to play for us and give 100%. If this was Thommo he would’ve sacked the likes of Morissette and Pope a long time ago and that’s where I want lord to be like Thommo in terms of sacking underperforming players otherwise if it carries on we won’t win anything this season. Simple as that because atm nothing is being done to rectify the current situation.
A Devils fan wishing Lord was more like Thommo, the inferno has come full circle.

august04

Thommo is an interesting one. I’ve never liked the bloke and always thought he was overrated as a coach but then I listened to the Stephen Cooper interview on the Old Time Hockey podcast - and he described Thommo as one of the best and most innovative coaches he’d ever played under. I still wouldn’t want him anywhere near Cardiff though but one thing is for sure, if a player isn’t performing for him, he’s out! We could do with a little of that now I believe.
If we win tonight, I think I might start going to the odd away game and forget the season ticket next year. We seem to put more effort in on the road.

Last edited:
I meant in terms of gassing players
Was only making light. From watching Lord’s interview it’s clear that he’s feeling immense pressure to get the team performing to the level we know they’re capable of. It wouldn’t surprise me to see someone replaced in the coming weeks if this trend continues truth be told. I haven’t watched the team enough this year to comment on individual performances, but based on that interview I think he’s identified that there are some players who aren’t buying in, which is a little worrying at this stage of the season.

jimmy snels

i said a few weeks ago id give piggot a game. no one tries harder. if we took the young nettie instead of murdy id get piggot throwing his body to at least set some kind of tone. or instead drop an underperforming import and play him. show some big stones

Last edited:
Lord wants to be careful with what he says in interviews, he'll start being labelled a moaner and told to find another sport if he wants more physicality (a joke .............. Or is it?)

Perhaps the problems this year do stem from the fact we treat players so well that now in our 4th/5th? Season under the new ownership it's now become a complacency issue, perhaps the gassing of an under performing player may be what's needed to show that we will look after you BUT you still need to perform or there will be consequences

D

Deleted member 1337

That is so disrespectful. No words other than that.
It isn't disrespectful it's practical.
Players are employed to do a job. If you started a new job and only showed up to work half of the time, and when you did you never achieved anything you would not last a month, yet when it comes to the Devils players are allowed to coast for months, players are terribly underperforming and need to be moved along

Rich Best

It isn't disrespectful it's practical.
Players are employed to do a job. If you started a new job and only showed up to work half of the time, and when you did you never achieved anything you would not last a month, yet when it comes to the Devils players are allowed to coast for months, players are terribly underperforming and need to be moved along
Saying todd and lordo need to grow a pair of balls is not practical. It is disrespectful.

Saying we are inconsistent in form and have some players who do not seem to hit an acceptable level consistently is a fair point which I agree with.

But let's have faith in the management / coaching team, as they have earned our faith and respect in my opinion, and will put this right. We do not have a given right to win everything and we should not lose faith and respect just because we lose a game or games.

OJLloyd

You’re the only poster in the entire thread that has mentioned wanting 7 foot goons fighting every night. Nobody wants that. What we do want is players giving their all - that’s not too much to ask when we’re shelling out our hard earned cash to watch them. It’s very simple really. Nobody can moan if players give 100%, win or lose. We’re miles away from that right now.
Apologies if it wasn’t clear, but that was sarcasm.

Whilst I would never expect Todd or Steve to throw someone still at the Devils under the bus re Faryna and him leaving, Mr King.Mo is a bit of a wind up merchant, so I do take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Gazr76

So to those 'experts' on here saying players should be sacked. So you think the grass is greener then? Just where do expect to sign suitable replacements from? I was under the impression that this club only signed upgrades? Because last time I had a good old check on the current market, it was looking a little bit thin on the ground to be honest.

Hedd Wyn John

Being a bit of a statto I thought I would see if the stats match peoples perceptions.
First I had a look at the goals against per game. 2017 we were 2.66. This year we are 2.79 so our defensive play is only slightly worse.

Bownsys save % is almost identical to last season. 91% v 91.2% last year.

Next - goals per game. We are 4.04 this year v 4.17 last year.

Most of our top two lines are producing similar points to last season. Some are down slightly but I would expect that as players form increase through the season. Its the players on the lower lines who have seen a significant drop. (See table below)

Although Hedden is being criticised he is just under a point per game.
Reddick who took a lot of flak early season has doubled his points tally
Morrisstte and Myers are producing abut a quarter of what they did last year.
So what can we conclude from this. Well stats aren't everything but it tells me that the changes needed aren't huge. A new player on our third line could well make the difference.

Players Name GP G A PTS 2018 2017
Charles Linglet 24 11 23 34 1.42 #N/A
Gleason Fournier 24 9 20 29 1.21 0.81
Joey Martin 24 10 16 26 1.08 1.35
Matt Pope 24 8 14 22 0.92 1.10
Mike Hedden 24 5 17 22 0.92 #N/A
Sean Bentivoglio 22 7 13 20 0.91 0.93
Joey Haddad 24 6 13 19 0.79 0.84
Layne Ulmer 23 9 8 17 0.74 0.96
Stephen Dixon 24 9 7 16 0.67 #N/A
Bryce Reddick 23 5 11 16 0.70 0.34
Mark Louis 24 3 5 8 0.33 0.07
Evan Mosey 11 1 7 8 0.73 #N/A
Ben Blood 12 3 4 7 0.58 #N/A
Mark Richardson 16 0 6 6 0.38 0.42
Craig Moore 24 2 3 5 0.21 0.09
Jake Morissette 24 1 4 5 0.21 0.79
Matthew Myers 24 2 2 4 0.17 0.43
Josh Batch 23 1 3 4 0.17 0.29
Sam Duggan 15 2 1 3 0.20 #N/A
Drew Schiestel 5 1 2 3 0.60 #N/A
Toms Rutkis 12 1 1 2 0.17 0.06
Justin Faryna 9 1 0 1 0.11 0.66
Stats are always worth a read but I think the issue is our last run of games since October. Our strong run before that kinda massages our figures to make them look better than they are.

kingmo19.1

So to those 'experts' on here saying players should be sacked. So you think the grass is greener then? Just where do expect to sign suitable replacements from? I was under the impression that this club only signed upgrades? Because last time I had a good old check on the current market, it was looking a little bit thin on the ground to be honest.
Jonny Lawless - no fear when he could see imports we're not upto it, ask Messrs Andison and Gratton. That season didn't turn out too bad if I remember. Sometimes its better to twist than continually stick !