Devils vs Fife - League 3rd Oct 21

jenks33

McNally’s injury against Guildford at home must still be bothering him. Hopefully it’s nothing serious, it was a good weekend to let him rest with a CC game last night and Fife at home.

Thread starter #5
Scoreline immensely flattering Fife.

Gravy, cheese and chips for a fiver from the staff canteen; absolutely bloody tasteless...

E.D.S.

Good performance. Really impressed with Batch at the moment. He seems a lot fitter and as a result is skating so much better. Seems to keep his feet moving a lot more than before. Same for Louis. I think he's really playing well and is skating well. Waller could be the find of the season.

RedDevil17

Good performance and a good win, but my god that has to be the worst flyers team in a fair few years. Fife to become the new Edinburgh Capitals?!

ASHIPP

I'm probably in the minority on here but one of the best players on the ice tonight was Shane Owen. An excellent goalie who sadly does not have the supporting cast at Fife Flyers to get the results they need atm. He can stand on his head every night but unless they can do something about their goal scoring, it's going to be a long season for them.

Interesting that after the 2 min penalty he received for tripping one of our players, Owen put in a tremendous shift against the Devils. He saved so many shots. Think the penalty was debatable.... he used his stick to block the puck, our guy was travelling in too fast and caught the edge. BTW, goal 3 for Devils looked like a deflection backwards off Owen's skate. Tough gig.

The Flyers' goal against the Devils was surreal! The tight angle to get the puck up and circling the roof of the net took some skill. Carruth couldn't believe it either.

Brodie Reid has established himself as our go-to player. Tremendously talented, instinctive with his positioning. Josh Waller impressed again tonight with speed and awareness.

august04 2.0

I'm probably in the minority on here but one of the best players on the ice tonight was Shane Owen. An excellent goalie who sadly does not have the supporting cast at Fife Flyers to get the results they need atm. He can stand on his head every night but unless they can do something about their goal scoring, it's going to be a long season for them.

Interesting that after the 2 min penalty he received for tripping one of our players, Owen put in a tremendous shift against the Devils. He saved so many shots. Think the penalty was debatable.... he used his stick to block the puck, our guy was travelling in too fast and caught the edge. BTW, goal 3 for Devils looked like a deflection backwards off Owen's skate. Tough gig.

The Flyers' goal against the Devils was surreal! The tight angle to get the puck up and circling the roof of the net took some skill. Carruth couldn't believe it either.

Brodie Reid has established himself as our go-to player. Tremendously talented, instinctive with his positioning. Josh Waller impressed again tonight with speed and awareness.
I thought Owen played well. He is going to face a lot of rubber this year with that line up in front of him.

Devils86

Mate of mine who came tonight (his 2nd Devils game after our Manneheim loss) noted that when the opposition NM gets their man of the match but still let's in 5 - that tells you about the balance of the game.

As many have said, a very nice backhand finish for the Flyers goal, but apart from that very little going forward for them. They lost to the Stars last night 6-1 and I do think they will be the whipping boys of the league this year.

Thought O'Connor and Cox had decent games tonight - Cox especially looks to have a lot of time on the puck when he's dancing between people. High hopes for Waller as he continues up the lines - not sure anyone would have thought he would have hit the ground running like he has.

Great all round - could have been far more but we weren't really at our normal slick best tonight. Can't complain with a 5-1 win though and a great all round weekend.

Also - I like the new graphics on the scoreboard for the players. Makes a nice change

Ocko

Hard to tell how good we were, but you can only play what’s in front of you and we did play some nice stuff.

Fife stank the place out. Listening to Dutiemme’s post game interview talking about holes in the roster, seems he isn’t getting backed by the ownership. Hard to imagine why they seemingly have a budget so much lower than everyone else. Decent crowds and no ice rental - very strange.

Devils86

Hard to tell how good we were, but you can only play what’s in front of you and we did play some nice stuff.

Fife stank the place out. Listening to Dutiemme’s post game interview talking about holes in the roster, seems he isn’t getting backed by the ownership. Hard to imagine why they seemingly have a budget so much lower than everyone else. Decent crowds and no ice rental - very strange.
I always feel sorry for Dutiaume when he's being interviewed Post-game. Sounds like real issues at Fife.

Random thought and I know it's a little "backwards facing" but two forwards who would love to play amongst these lines would be the two Joeys.

Re-watching old highlights from 'last' season and would only take a few of that roster now.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

Agree on Fife, they were absolutely dreadful and I felt the Devils didn’t really need to get out of third gear tonight. Flyers need to make some changes and quickly, or they will be the whipping boys of the league, and will offer very little this year I’m afraid. If they’re not prepared to ice a vaguely competitive team, then what’s the point? Watching some of their players tonight, they must be so far under the wage cap compared with other teams. Some nice goals from the Devils though, and I’m impressed after every game with Brodie Reid.

JC23

Agree on Fife, they were absolutely dreadful and I felt the Devils didn’t really need to get out of third gear tonight. Flyers need to make some changes and quickly, or they will be the whipping boys of the league, and will offer very little this year I’m afraid. If they’re not prepared to ice a vaguely competitive team, then what’s the point? Watching some of their players tonight, they must be so far under the wage cap compared with other teams. Some nice goals from the Devils though, and I’m impressed after every game with Brodie Reid.
Third gear? I didn’t think our guys got out of first gear, and even then, only briefly into second.

Did anyone else find that one of the most flat and boring atmospheres of the games so far also? It was brutal trying to get anything going off the ice.

Brodie Reid, Josh Waller…take a bow gents. Unreal.

Not much more I can add about Fife than what has already been said, Shane Owen isn’t going to stand a chance with that team infront of him this season.