Devils vs Fife - League 3rd Oct 21

moggy#9

Agree on Fife, they were absolutely dreadful and I felt the Devils didn’t really need to get out of third gear tonight. Flyers need to make some changes and quickly, or they will be the whipping boys of the league, and will offer very little this year I’m afraid. If they’re not prepared to ice a vaguely competitive team, then what’s the point? Watching some of their players tonight, they must be so far under the wage cap compared with other teams. Some nice goals from the Devils though, and I’m impressed after every game with Brodie Reid.
The fact that Fife's recruitment seemed so far behind everyone else, and the comments from their fans pointed to real problems. I didn't see the game last night, but from what everyone is saying I wonder about the flyers lasting the season. I'm also guessing that it was them who wanted the 19 player limit.

Kevlar68

We both said last night was a weird atmosphere and just before the game in the bar we were saying what NHL atmosphere is like in the Saddledome, Calgary. It's like centre court Wimbledon during play, silent. Only comes to life during last 10 mins of final period.
The whole arena was pretty subdued from the start for some reason, we can't just rely on block 13 but even they seemed very quiet.
Is it the screen now showing replays during breaks in play? When there is nothing to watch maybe people got in to it more.
The music......not great. To many dance/club/house whatever category you want to call it being played without these songs creating any atmosphere, they just seem like silent fillers not atmosphere generators.
I'm not saying when i used to do the incidental music at the WNIR i was perfect, not at all, i just made sure almost all the songs had short or no intros so it went straight in to the song, some i would edit before adding to sampler so it skipped long intros.
Just a strange night all round, maybe it was the crappy weather we had all day got people down, who knows.

august04 2.0

We both said last night was a weird atmosphere and just before the game in the bar we were saying what NHL atmosphere is like in the Saddledome, Calgary. It's like centre court Wimbledon during play, silent. Only comes to life during last 10 mins of final period.
The whole arena was pretty subdued from the start for some reason, we can't just rely on block 13 but even they seemed very quiet.
Is it the screen now showing replays during breaks in play? When there is nothing to watch maybe people got in to it more.
The music......not great. To many dance/club/house whatever category you want to call it being played without these songs creating any atmosphere, they just seem like silent fillers not atmosphere generators.
I'm not saying when i used to do the incidental music at the WNIR i was perfect, not at all, i just made sure almost all the songs had short or no intros so it went straight in to the song, some i would edit before adding to sampler so it skipped long intros.
Just a strange night all round, maybe it was the crappy weather we had all day got people down, who knows.
Fife were so poor, there was really nothing for the fans to feed off. The best atmospheres “just happen”, not easy to contrive although block 13 do a good job to get things going but there was very little for them to get excited about last night too. There was no anticipation either as I think we all knew how bad Fife were beforehand. I’m pretty sure the Devils have tougher training sessions.

moggy#9

Fife were so poor, there was really nothing for the fans to feed off. The best atmospheres “just happen”, not easy to contrive although block 13 do a good job to get things going but there was very little for them to get excited about last night too. There was no anticipation either as I think we all knew how bad Fife were beforehand. I’m pretty sure the Devils have tougher training sessions.
I don't suppose it helps matters of the team wants to avoid any further inquiries ahead of the trip to Finland. They're not really going to play harder than they need to.

Temme

Hard to tell how good we were, but you can only play what’s in front of you and we did play some nice stuff.

Fife stank the place out. Listening to Dutiemme’s post game interview talking about holes in the roster, seems he isn’t getting backed by the ownership. Hard to imagine why they seemingly have a budget so much lower than everyone else. Decent crowds and no ice rental - very strange.
They only re-hired him about 2 months ago, he's scrambled to throw a team together in an unbelievably short amount of time.
Credit to him for being able to put anything forward at all to be honest.

They had some decent individual players, but also some very poor.

But in terms of structure... jesus, no structure going forward, none defending the zone, it was just a terrible team performance.

5-1 really does flatter them.

pjj365

The lack atmosphere came over on the webcast

Glad I weren't the only one who thought the atmosphere was very weird and quiet last night but I didn't expect to be popping off massively against a poor fife side.

Kevlar68

The game was pretty ugly and scrappy. Fife had ugly attack and scrappy defence which made our game look a bit disjointed, how do you play decent hockey against a team that's all over the place.
That wasn't the only reason the atmosphere was weird, we've had poor games in the past at the IAW and had pretty good atmospheres.
Just one of those nights i guess.

JC23

Yeah, I was talking from the perspective of Block 13. We struggled even amongst ourselves last night.

As someone above said, the game being Fife, and on a Sunday definitely didn’t help.

BostonBart22

Always gonna be low key game with CHL coming up midweek, good to see D upont carrying on his improvement in weekend games. Reid wow what a player hopefully we not seen the best of him yet, looking forward to a bigger test next weekend v Blaze, OH love the new Giveaway by the club ,Season ticket fan of the week award..

Slartibartfast

I think Owen saved Fife from a real humiliation. The Cox Waller Sandford line were all over them and if it wasn't for Owen would have put another 3 or 4 on the scoreboard. All the goals we scored were high quality team worked goals. i.e redirects, off rebounds or Owen being pulled the other way first. The exception was Reids first goal which was one on one. But lets face it Reid could knock the nads off a gnat with his precision so Owen didn't have a chance. :)

moggy#9

I think Owen saved Fife from a real humiliation. The Cox Waller Sandford line were all over them and if it wasn't for Owen would have put another 3 or 4 on the scoreboard. All the goals we scored were high quality team worked goals. i.e redirects, off rebounds or Owen being pulled the other way first. The exception was Reids first goal which was one on one. But lets face it Reid could knock the nads off a gnat with his precision so Owen didn't have a chance. :)
It's interesting you should note Owen being pulled the wrong way, as I felt in the past his lateral movement was a problem. Most goalies in our league seem to have flaws of some sort. Sheffield's goalie seems to open his 5 hole a lot, and a few have rebound control issues. Our goalies are proving themselves to be solid, and credit to motte at coventry who is the backbone to their team.

ASHIPP

Many things were weird about the game last night but the Club can only work within the regulations they have been given and the resources they have.

It's very difficult to shout and chant wearing a mask. We need to keep wearing masks to be allowed to see the games.

The Club has always prided itself and achieved a great match night experience. Given the congested game schedule with CHL, a shortage of match night volunteers and support staff, its understandable that it's going to take time to get these things off the ground again.

Only 2 observations I would make which could be resolved fairly quickly

1. Music... too much electronic, r n b, current stuff. Where are the go-to proven hits that get our crowd going? Please bring back 'We are the Champions' 'We will Rock You', 'Hey Jude', '(I would Walk) 500 Miles', `Dakota', 'Beat It', 'Its not Unusual' etc

2. Fan and Team Connection. Very difficult at the mo. We admire the players, they are playing well, they wear our Club logo.... but we know nothing about them.
Jarrod's weekly catch ups are really good....how about some quick fire questions or short interviews with our players on the website/in the match night programme? (I knew more about the Flyers' players in last nights mag!)
Even the player on-ice introductions had a muted response last night.. because we don't know much about them
Our beloved club and our fans have always embraced our players almost like a family for the past 6 years... we could still do that (albeit at a distance).

Ps. Where is our Paul Sullivan? Really miss his banter over the PA system.

Kevlar68

In any normal season we would see the players in the bar so we could see them and say hi but this season can't really do that just in case of Covid and don't blame them really.