Devils Vs Flames - League - 18th Feb 23 - 19:00 FO

Mooney#16

….. as they did in the Lord game.

Happy for others to disagree, but I have no problem at all if a coach rolls the dice in this way, hell I remember Chris McSorley pulling his Nettie in the second period of a game.
Federov has been known to pull his Nettie at the start of OT to go 4 on 3. I mean what does Sergei Federov know about ice hockey. I think it’s safe to say the inferno will be furious if Sergei gets his head turned by Todd one day.

To this day i am confused why Todd allowed an rookie/average hockey player to become the assistant coach. You already have an rookie coach, franny taking on other tasks and we throw in another rookie, to this day confused the hell out of me.

Not sure it if pressure but this season Todd come across bit arrogant this year, having a pop at season ticket holders in the programme i thought was bit out of order too. I could be wrong but he don't seem the same person too

kingmo19.1

If DuPont is sacked end of season I suggest we all ballot the club and owners extremely heavily to appoint lloyd_jeff (I mean Mazzoak or Chilli).

It’s amazing how she always knows the solution to ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!

I can see us going completely unbeaten - under lloyd_jeff, we”ll be the “Ice Hockey Invincibles”.

We’ll be famous, everyone will want to play for us, tickets will be changing hands for like £5,000 a game for a Wednesday fixture v Fife!

It’ll be amazing. WE ARE SO LUCKY!

Lloyd_jeff will make Lordo look like a blundering idiot !

I’ve seen the light! It’s a bright road ahead for us and lloyd_jeff will take on a journey never to be forgotten in all sporting history!

All hail our future new leader - lloyd_jeff!

august04 2.0

….. as they did in the Lord game.

Happy for others to disagree, but I have no problem at all if a coach rolls the dice in this way, hell I remember Chris McSorley pulling his Nettie in the second period of a game.
I had no problem with DuPont pulling the goalie when 3 down with a few minutes left. Even though we hadn’t looked like doing much throughout the game, if you can get a scrappy goal early enough, you’re back in with an outside chance. Who cares if you lose by 2, 3 or 4, you still lose the game. And it can focus the minds of your own guys to play harder and smarter, not that we did much of that either on Saturday.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

To this day i am confused why Todd allowed an rookie/average hockey player to become the assistant coach. You already have an rookie coach, franny taking on other tasks and we throw in another rookie, to this day confused the hell out of me.

Not sure it if pressure but this season Todd come across bit arrogant this year, having a pop at season ticket holders in the programme i thought was bit out of order too. I could be wrong but he don't seem the same person too
I think the club have taken a backward step with their fan engagement this year. He’s probably feeling the pressure but I agree with your sentiments on Kelman. He had his little pop at the Inferno too, which I thought was uncalled for and was very defensive at the hastily arranged Q&A too. The assistant coach appointment seemed a little bizarre with a rookie coach in place, our recruitment wasn't great last summer as we're all witnessing on the ice again, and the lack of activity with injury cover for several months, and approaching the transfer deadline after Fournier left, didn’t suggest that he believed we could win the league. All a bit strange this year for me.

Mooney#16

If you look at the team that started the first year under the new management then they were highly accessible and fans got a chance to ‘know’ the team. Interviews, twitter takeovers, events etc etc people got a feel for the guys personalities but also I think the team got something out of it too.

Now to present day and I know some fans will be responsible for this due to their appalling conduct towards players but everything has been withdrawn and cleansed. Players are isolated. If we’re honest does anyone have a clue what type of character Crawford, Thompson, Penny, Brittain really are in the team. Are we supporting arrogant guys who only want money or good guys who buy into the Devils ethos. It’s easy to support a team when you connect with what you are supporting as opposed to perceived faceless robots.

The club has turned very insular and I completely understand why with some fans conduct being shameful in the past and Todd is protecting his guys but at some point they need to rise above it and get back out there. Even the owners have disconnected a little comms wise and that breeds questions on if they are enjoying it or not.

The fans and club used to be fundamentally in sync and the mood around the club quite special as Wally says but now I would say it’s not special. It just feels like supporting any old faceless sports team and that’s far from what the Devils have been built on for the last 37 years.

They do need a fundamental shake up of fan engagement strategy.

Wannabe2

Don’t think the pandemic helped one bit, we all became very insular as we had too and everything changed, sometimes it takes awhile to get things back on track. Would the club be up for conversing with a entertainments committee, after all wasnt one of our mottos on the wings of an army, think lots of people would be up for a few events with the team, and maybe make a few Bob for the club. I don’t think the owners passion and love for the team has wained , sometimes it’s difficult to cram everything in a 24hr day and these guys are also fans, and probably a bit cheesed with this roller coaster season like the rest of us. Maybe suggestions from the fans could be helpful, they did organise a committee awhile ago, can’t remember what it was called I volunteered for it,but the club had more sense, and gave me the Spanish Archer = Elbow.

Earnie

There was that period after the shut down when we were allowed to start (well after England) but had to wear masks. Interaction with the players was ruled out and quite rightly so. We have not really recovered our friendly status from that era. It’s a difficult one to be honest. We are a hell out every game and that says a lot.

Mooney#16

My honest opinion is jump firmly into bed with Wally. Start up a weekly podcast or YouTube vid for all things Devils with a new player every week. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious but give fans a good insight into the goings on. It might put players in a bind justifying poor performances but might also give an insight into why they might happen. You’d have an option to edit it heavily so could control the content. Also be a perfect marketing media so could boost sponsorship/advertising revenues.

moggy#9

So what was it when Andrew Lord did it in the same circumstances against Guildford shortly before we pulled back from 3-0 to 3-3?
IIRC under lord we had players who were able to retain the puck, cycle it effectively, and create enough movement to generate scoring opportunities. I can recall under skalde we managed to score goals with the goalie pulled. But then he was considerably more tactically adept than Dupont.

pjj365

If you look at the team that started the first year under the new management then they were highly accessible and fans got a chance to ‘know’ the team. Interviews, twitter takeovers, events etc etc people got a feel for the guys personalities but also I think the team got something out of it too.

Now to present day and I know some fans will be responsible for this due to their appalling conduct towards players but everything has been withdrawn and cleansed. Players are isolated. If we’re honest does anyone have a clue what type of character Crawford, Thompson, Penny, Brittain really are in the team. Are we supporting arrogant guys who only want money or good guys who buy into the Devils ethos. It’s easy to support a team when you connect with what you are supporting as opposed to perceived faceless robots.

The club has turned very insular and I completely understand why with some fans conduct being shameful in the past and Todd is protecting his guys but at some point they need to rise above it and get back out there. Even the owners have disconnected a little comms wise and that breeds questions on if they are enjoying it or not.

The fans and club used to be fundamentally in sync and the mood around the club quite special as Wally says but now I would say it’s not special. It just feels like supporting any old faceless sports team and that’s far from what the Devils have been built on for the last 37 years.

This probably cuts both ways.
Fan engagement meant that the players knew some of the supporters - were even friends with some (friendships which have lasted beyond their time with the Devils) Today, when they lose, they are not letting people down - just an amorphous crowd.
This is not now a club where all have a part to play creating that special special mood. It is instead that faceless sports team who seem to just see their pay cheque sitting in the arena week in week out and a fan base who feel neglected.
Coaching can achieve just so much but it can't introduce pride or commitment. It all becomes a mechanical exercise on both sides
The core fan base has remained remarkably loyal despite lockdown but, for their own education, the team do need to engage more, to give back, to recreate that club atmosphere

TL91

I guess if our PP and special teams was functioning, we wouldn’t question a keeper being pulled regardless of score as we’d feel we have a chance of grabbing something. At the moment, it’s pretty blunt so we feel it’s kind of pointless?

lloyd_jeff

COVID that period that is now used to justify everything that is wrong in the world. It will never end if nobody moves on.
The Twitter abuse, anyone identified doing that should be given a life ban from the IAW. Fie was never replaced and Twitter isn’t compulsory for any player. Im not aware of any player being abused at the IAW bar or signing etc etc. Post covid first season under Skalde should’ve been celebrated with an introduction to the new team, new coach, there are many many ways to pull that off without breaking the bank. Members here did comment on the lack of engagement, followed by the usual put downs.
Remember that night in the hall, new owners, new exiting period with a winning attitude. That could so easily have been replicated at the IAW. Sorry l don’t buy COVID or a few highly functioning idiots (l have stronger words) are responsible for the last few yrs. I blame the loss of Lord, the Council, getting back that success is going to take a lot of money, time and at this point as a business it’s probably not secure enough to invest that time & money, it’s that simple.

pjj365

COVID that period that is now used to justify everything that is wrong in the world. It will never end if nobody moves on.
The Twitter abuse, anyone identified doing that should be given a life ban from the IAW. Fie was never replaced and Twitter isn’t compulsory for any player. Im not aware of any player being abused at the IAW bar or signing etc etc. Post covid first season under Skalde should’ve been celebrated with an introduction to the new team, new coach, there are many many ways to pull that off without breaking the bank. Members here did comment on the lack of engagement, followed by the usual put downs.
Remember that night in the hall, new owners, new exiting period with a winning attitude. That could so easily have been replicated at the IAW. Sorry l don’t buy COVID or a few highly functioning idiots (l have stronger words) are responsible for the last few yrs. I blame the loss of Lord, the Council, getting back that success is going to take a lot of money, time and at this point as a business it’s probably not secure enough to invest that time & money, it’s that simple.
To some extent it is more time and will than money to get a few player events off the ground
For example, meet the player meals at Tiger Tiger and bowling had the cost of player participation built into the price the fans paid

Wannabe2

Everything is Simple’s to you, are you sure you’re not a meerkat. How’s the Insurance industry doing.

pjj365

How about we are constructive? What do we want?
Player interviews on signing/re-signing? A managed social media - fewer repetitive merchandising post, fewer SoB posts?
More community engagement posts? - which need the engagements in the first place
Bowling, meet the player socials, the dreaded quiz night?
That's just an old skool starter for 10 I'm sure there are more innovative ideas out there

Best post ever. Totally agree. Fan engagement has disappeared, players in the bar after, fan events like bowling or karaoke, even post game signings. It gave the fans a chance to chat with the players. All gone now. Feel totally un attached from the team