Devils Vs Flames - League - 18th Feb 23 - 19:00 FO

BostonBart22

Remember WNIR bar you couldnt move in there during and after games, and players were allowed to meet in the bar after games and a few away players mingling as well, gretskys made a killing in those days..

I must agree with a lot of the more recent posts on this thread - the fan engagement this season has been virtually non- existent, and that is something I have really picked up on this season. Even last year we got to know a little about Register, Carruth, Crandall when they first arrived - and, we even received a bit of humour around the festive period on Twitter/Instagram. It was just the odd video here and there, but at least that was something for the fans to bite on as it was nice to see a bit of personality behind the names and numbers. As someone has mentioned previously, fans ‘do’ like to know more about the players and gain an insight into their personalities, ambitions, motivations, experiences, playing career, fun and games and a bit of seriousness etc.

We are blessed to have an excellent ownership group here and we all know that above all else that the ultimate priority here in Cardiff is to succeed on the ice, win games and accolades - I get all that - but, a ‘massive’ part of that success is driven by fans lifting the team (especially when the chips are down a bit), and that is made a lot easier for the fans to do when they can personally relate to the individuals on the ice.

If a players personality is naturally more reserved in nature it may come across on the ice as not caring about the team when in reality it may be very far removed from the truth - but if fans got an insight into how these players operate it would dispel all that uncertainty and would propel the fans to give them a lift! Also, the kids want to know a bit more about the players they look up to.

A big trick being missed here in my opinion that appears to be echoed by others here it seems. But - this can be rectified, almost instantly!

lloyd_jeff

For the guy who ran Belfast, brought over NHL teams, arrived on PR gold to now. l don’t know about everyone but normally the longer you spend in your job, the better you get. At the moment it’s reversed & that’s no a good indication. ForTodd it should be bloody simple.

Kevlar68

Gretzkys was a great bar, but very very badly run if I recall.

Isn’t that right Kev? :) :) :)
Yeah, it was run by an absolute arse of a guy, he always put the games on the TV's, never run out of booze even on Superleague cup presentation night which was manic but amazing, always listened to the fans as to what they'd like to see in the bar, put on drinks promotions, kept the bar tidy and maintained, sold good beers, created a good friendly vibe and players loved joining the fans for after games drinks, chats and a laugh.......what a dick he was that long haired short ass manager eh! ;)

Wannabe2

We sure all went forward as one huge team, let me just say this when everyone interacts it most certainly feels like this is my club, this is our club and everyone pulls in the same direction. I am convinced that was a massive help in our success, as it is now I hope it’s just a lapse as most Taffies are a sociable lot,but they also like to feel part of the whole set up. No one wants to know the ins and outs of a cats arse, but just that feeling of belonging, hopefully our owners felt that when they became United with our fans. I think it can be a good move to be more interactive and a real positive for all parties.

Kevlar68

And Glynn hits the nail on the head, we are one.
Without a team there are no fans, without fans there is no team.
We like to see players as one of us, your every day guy, not kept at arms length and put on pedestals.
I can only talk for the WNIR but the players weren't told to go up and interact with fans in the bar, they wanted to.
Heaves, Andy, Taffy and all the players would just go and join the fans win or lose, talk hockey or just shoot the breeze.
They were meant to be in the sponsors suites but they preferred the bar with the real fans.
They worked the room with a "hi" and "how's it going?", asking what fans thought of the game, they were just regular people like us and that's why those players are still talked about so many years on, because we knew them on a personal level due to them wanting to be around fans.

lloyd_jeff

Could you imagine Heavy, Coopers, Hope, Ware and too many more to mention being abused on Twitter, then finding that person at the rink. Yeah they never received abuse in those days because they’d serious mess you up, they were great guys in the bar though.

lloyd_jeff

True. One of the best parts of wining important games in the WNIR was getting under the netting straight on the ice as soon as it ended with the players.

Those guys wouldn’t give a toss what anyone said, they were real men. It would have been like water off a ducks arse to those guys. Not only that they played for the shirt, the club, and the fans.
What sort of comment is that “they were real men”
Come on wannabe get yourself back out of the Eighties and join us all in the present day!!
So who are you saying are not real men and why out of interest?

Rempel16

Whilst Wannabe's comment is the wrong turn of phrase, I think I know what he's trying to say....

Players are just different these days. Finnerty alluded to it in his podcast with Wally.... Not so long ago you could yell and bawl at players as you knew they would take it on the chin, suck it up and get on with it.

Nowadays, players (not all) are more sensitive to it, and words have to be chosen more carefully.

That's not to say that either era's personality means they are 'real men', it's just how the times were then and now.

Wannabe2

Whilst Wannabe's comment is the wrong turn of phrase, I think I know what he's trying to say....

Players are just different these days. Finnerty alluded to it in his podcast with Wally.... Not so long ago you could yell and bawl at players as you knew they would take it on the chin, suck it up and get on with it.

Nowadays, players (not all) are more sensitive to it, and words have to be chosen more carefully.

That's not to say that either era's personality means they are 'real men', it's just how the times were then and now.
Spot on, apologies for the wrong wording.