Devils Vs Flames - League - 31st Dec 23 - FO 16:00

BostonBart22

I've just seen the run/hit on bowns, would never got away with it if big lou was on the ice, who the hell was on the ice and didn't make that player accountable?

E.D.S.

Have I said that? I am in the physical style camp for my preference like many a (particularly long term) Devils fan. So I would prefer to go down fighting if we must go down at all.

I just think most posts can be distilled into great when we win and crap when we lose. The reaction to the flames losses has many posters across platforms I follow reacting more like Giants fans than many would like to admit.

I do however get tired of the personal attacks I've seen in Todd and some of the ownership comments. We have 3100 seats. We are battling teams with thousands more, one of whom is owned by the rink operator. If not merch, tickets, raffles, where does the money success demands come from? I'm not saying revenue and heart are mutually exclusive but when your 5050 can reach nearly £16k it's not a magic formula Sheffield have stumbled on. It's a goldmine they sit on.
But I don't see many (or any in fact) saying we want more money on the team. Can't fault the ownership group bringing in players when required. Genuinely a first class effort from them. What I see people saying is "what is the money being spent on?" and "are we getting the right players for this Team?" Alderson, expensive I'm guessing, he should be owning this league with his CV, recent experience and size. Largely anonymous (in my view). Pulls out of hits. Isn't using his size as I believe he could. Barrow puts him to shame.

Isn't it human nature to be happy when you win, miffed when you lose? When the dust settles though, the same debate still goes around... is this style of hockey working and is it what people want to see?

I’m reading some comments on here saying that PR needs a couple of seasons to adjust to the style of the league and team.
I’ve just looked at his previous teams he’s coached in the league and he knows what the style of the eihl is. He’s coached Fitzgerald, brought springer to the league Nickerson to Mk, Josh gratton. So these comments to me are just excuses

kettdevil1

Agree but plenty of reasons why people still go.... your kids still want to go, you enjoy seeing your friends there or probably the number one reason.. this is your team.

This is not directed at you in any way....This is a forum where people who (largely) care about the club, come on here to rant, let off steam, offer a considered a opinion or screen shot things for their virtue signalling shite on X - that lot are at it again - but above all else, if they didn't care, if this didn't matter to them, they wouldn't post and certainly wouldn't keep going. Do I think what people write on here is what they truly feel or what happens at the rink when we lose fundamentally impacts their day and their life, not at all. I just see a load of people expressing a view - some more valued than others. This isn't life or death.

I think it's dull hockey and has been for some time but i'll still be there for the Steelers game and the game after that and the season after that.
Thank you, interesting stuff and actually @Paul Sullivan has hit the nail on the head about both knee jerk reaction and the personal attacks that (some) posters have made.

Whilst I might disagree with your point about dull hockey, you have been consistent and that’s absolutely what discussion should be about, it’s the up/down reactions or OTT posts that are annoying.

The one point I would argue with is when you say that people don’t post what they actually feel. I would counter by asking why do it then? I am constantly amazed on Twitter (which I know can be a cesspit!) when people put absolute and complete garbage, often making personal attacks on the team or individuals, yet then talk about being kind or some such. Maybe just me but it makes them come across as both hypocritical and I just wonder what family/friends/employers make of it all.

Ho hum, anyway, let’s hope for better against Sheffield

E.D.S.

The one point I would argue with is when you say that people don’t post what they actually feel. I would counter by asking why do it then? I am constantly amazed on Twitter (which I know can be a cesspit!) when people put absolute and complete garbage, often making personal attacks on the team or individuals, yet then talk about being kind or some such. Maybe just me but it makes them come across as both hypocritical and I just wonder what family/friends/employers make of it all.
Yeah, completely agree. I don't get it either but then again, I'm an old fart. I probably should have written "I'd like to think that when people post it isn't what they genuinely feel" but you're right, there really is some bizarre behaviour.

kettdevil1

Yeah, completely agree. I don't get it either but then again, I'm an old fart. I probably should have written "I'd like to think that when people post it isn't what they genuinely feel" but you're right, there really is some bizarre behaviour.
I think we are both old farts . Thanks for clarification

Mooney#16

I’m reading some comments on here saying that PR needs a couple of seasons to adjust to the style of the league and team.
I’ve just looked at his previous teams he’s coached in the league and he knows what the style of the eihl is. He’s coached Fitzgerald, brought springer to the league Nickerson to Mk, Josh gratton. So these comments to me are just excuses
I don’t think it’s that Russell needs to learn the league. But I think he has to have time to assemble the correct roster. Just swapping the coach and starting again every year is a rinse and repeat. You gain no momentum or direction.

I think Russell will be learning a lot about these players. Information he didn’t have when he signed them. He’ll already be building opinions on if they are championship players or not. I think he’s a coach capable of making the tough decisions.

Let’s be perfectly frank here Lordo got immensely lucky whilst here with the Devils as well as doing great things. In that initial roster he picked up players that went on the be league MVP players and also liked it enough here to stick around for a longer period. He then just needed to assemble a good enough supporting roster around them.

Currently this roster is a good supporting cast but they do not have the X factor MVP guy to take them next level. Steelers have picked up a couple but it’s taken Fox multiple years to do so. I think Russell has to have the opportunity to work this process through.

The key as concerns Russell is if he has the tactics and game plans in his locker to get the best out of those players and get them producing. He’s done it at levels above the EIHL so again I think you have to give him time to get these implemented and executed.

There are players capable of a lot more than what they are currently giving. I’m not one to throw the coach under the bus as it removes accountability from those players. As mentioned by others what drives me nuts is seeing a team look all depressed and sorry for themselves stood there at the end of the game just waiting to run of to the changing room. You had your chance. What I want is a team who looks so angry with themselves they want to play a full 60 mins right there and then to put it right. I don’t even want any of them gassed. I want them back out there with a self administered rocket up their hoop ready to take Steelers winning record and tear it apart.

Definitely felt different in the arena last night. Most fans have had enough. The lack of fight and effort on the ice was definitely felt throughout. It was like we have given up on the team. They couldn't be bothered so why should we waist our energy supporting.
Sad times. Interested to see what it's like on Wednesday. Turning point or final straw?

kettdevil1

Definitely felt different in the arena last night. Most fans have had enough. The lack of fight and effort on the ice was definitely felt throughout. It was like we have given up on the team. They couldn't be bothered so why should we waist our energy supporting.
Sad times. Interested to see what it's like on Wednesday. Turning point or final straw?
"We" certainly haven't. Some people might have, although re-reading the threads of the last few wins is very interesting indeed.....

RedDevil17

A fair few boos could be heard at the end. God help us Wednesday.

moggy#9

Interesting point but without going through each year's roster and drawing a big spider diagram of who got recruited each year based off who knew who, I don't know if that's accurate. Personally I think recruitment based on who knows who will only take a team so far, especially when you bring in older players who might have played with someone a few years prior. That's always a risk.
That's fair.

Devil94

Even though that was not too long ago, the league and hockey itself has moved on since then. Well actually the hockey world had already moved on by then, the EIHL was slow to catch up and we became a retirement home for old heavyweights who couldn't find a job anywhere else in hockey. Which I found quite embarrassing at the time.
Look around the league now, how many heavyweights are there? None. So why would we have them? That's not the style of the EIHL anymore. That's not the style of hockey anywhere anymore. I genuinely mean this in the nicest possible way, but if people are waiting around for those days to come back before enjoying hockey again then you're going to be disappointed.

i think Russell shot himself in the foot in an interview saying that he dont like the physical side of the game, if i was the other coach i know the first thing id be saying to my team when playing against devils. At the moment we are bullied and out muscled off the puck.

I do not think it the players fault, we have some great players however to me it looks like that he coaching them to be a european style hockey which is not going to work week in week out in our league.

No one saying enforcer type player however both night our goalie had something done against him and nothing was done which tells all the rest of the league that we are push over and you can do what like because we will not react to it. I do not think the players are allowed by Russell.
Look at Riley now, very rare you get any hit now and we got some big bodies who do nothing at all. Personally i do not think Russell right for this league and it seems he is the type of person of it his way or the high way but time will tell i suspect.

jimmy snels

Even though that was not too long ago, the league and hockey itself has moved on since then. Well actually the hockey world had already moved on by then, the EIHL was slow to catch up and we became a retirement home for old heavyweights who couldn't find a job anywhere else in hockey. Which I found quite embarrassing at the time.
Look around the league now, how many heavyweights are there? None. So why would we have them? That's not the style of the EIHL anymore. That's not the style of hockey anywhere anymore. I genuinely mean this in the nicest possible way, but if people are waiting around for those days to come back before enjoying hockey again then you're going to be disappointed.

Glasgow turned up with a physical attitude and three tough guys taking a win, Guildford just smashed us around our barn and I fully expect it to continue now as we don't respond well too it let's be honest.

Personally I'd have kept Louis and moved batch on in the summer if we couldn't make space for a different tough guy. At least Louis offered some deterrent because now we have NONE. Louis was the toughest dog in the yard and now we just have toy poodles!

We're undersized and have no viable option to lay a hard hit back other than Brandt who's 5ft 6.... We've misjudged our competition and if Russell is saying he doesn't want a physical team he's completely misjudged the long term fan base who want to see a tougher team that plays with it's heart on its sleeve.

i think Russell shot himself in the foot in an interview saying that he dont like the physical side of the game, if i was the other coach i know the first thing id be saying to my team when playing against devils. At the moment we are bullied and out muscled off the puck.

I do not think it the players fault, we have some great players however to me it looks like that he coaching them to be a european style hockey which is not going to work week in week out in our league.

No one saying enforcer type player however both night our goalie had something done against him and nothing was done which tells all the rest of the league that we are push over and you can do what like because we will not react to it. I do not think the players are allowed by Russell.
Look at Riley now, very rare you get any hit now and we got some big bodies who do nothing at all. Personally i do not think Russell right for this league and it seems he is the type of person of it his way or the high way but time will tell i suspect.
I took what PR said about not liking the rough stuff that had gone on was because it had gone on after the game had finished.
He made no mention of not liking it when we played Glasgow when there was three fights in the first period!

Rempel16

I took what PR said about not liking the rough stuff that had gone on was because it had gone on after the game had finished.
He made no mention of not liking it when we played Glasgow when there was three fights in the first period!
He said of Glasgow… the first fight was expected. The rest of it was unnecessary.