Devils Vs Gothics - Pre-Season - 2nd Sep 23 (FO 19:00) & 3rd Sep 23 (FO 16:00)

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Devils invite the Gothiques d'Amiens to the bay for back to back pre-season games this weekend. Always a bit of an unknown quantity when the team comes from a different league but should be a fun weekend

Wannabe2

Think this team will be too much for the French, play as we can and we will take both wins. Let’s get the Cauldron boiling and show these guys we are Hotter Than Hell. I have a lot of faith in this team and our coaching staff.

moggy#9

I imagine that other than getting fundamentals like the special teams sorted out, this will be a lot about preparation for the continental cup. After another week together I'm looking forward to seeing how they're staying to gel.

I agree that I wouldn't expect a French team to cause us too many problems, unless they have stellar netminding.

kettdevil1

I imagine that other than getting fundamentals like the special teams sorted out, this will be a lot about preparation for the continental cup. After another week together I'm looking forward to seeing how they're staying to gel.

I agree that I wouldn't expect a French team to cause us too many problems, unless they have stellar netminding.
I would be a little careful about writing off French teams - at the top end of the Ligue Magnus the standard is at least comparable to the EIHL (see CHL results for evidence) and of course Angers did beat us at their place.

Having said that Amiens are no Angers and I would expect the Devils to have too much for them, at least in the first game when they will be adapting to different ice. They are likely to start Clement Fouqueral in nets who signed from Bordeaux and if you are looking for a stellar performance, he has been known to put one in. I saw Bordeaux absolutely steal a few games with him playing and whilst I can't see an upset, he is capable of giving them a chance.

Should be two good games

moggy#9

I would be a little careful about writing off French teams - at the top end of the Ligue Magnus the standard is at least comparable to the EIHL (see CHL results for evidence) and of course Angers did beat us at their place.

Having said that Amiens are no Angers and I would expect the Devils to have too much for them, at least in the first game when they will be adapting to different ice. They are likely to start Clement Fouqueral in nets who signed from Bordeaux and if you are looking for a stellar performance, he has been known to put one in. I saw Bordeaux absolutely steal a few games with him playing and whilst I can't see an upset, he is capable of giving them a chance.

Should be two good games
It's true about angers beating us at their place, but I'm inclined to put that down to how woeful the devils were last season. I don't think that should have happened. This devils team will, I think, be a different proposition.

kettdevil1

Agree, although defensively at their place they were very good and Evan Cowley was stellar in nets. I would definitely back the Devils but I don't think it will be easy

lloyd_jeff

It’s the start of the season and I doubt both clubs want a preseason war, so I’m expecting a game with the usual changes, mistakes and “experimentation”. Result means nothing but a win is always welcome in preseason.

E.D.S.

Away with the good lady this weekend so we streamed the game. It looked like an impressive performance by Devils. You can only beat what’s in front of you but they were professional and clinical. Harewood isn’t looking out of place at all and Mosey was solid tonight. Defensively the team did the hard work protecting Bown’s but when called upon Bown’s saw everything. Some brilliant saves. Superb performance.

Plenty of variety going forward too. Speed and skill. PP looked better but more to come with more training sessions.

I assume the back up goalie for Amiens was being saved for tomorrow otherwise you’ve got to question how someone shipping 8 goals remains in net. Chris Newton was the last person I saw do that!

All in all a good performance. Just hope we remain professional tomorrow and not build on the grudge matches from today. We don’t need it against this level of opposition but pleasing to see the guys standing up for themselves.

Small bit of feedback for the camera person…. Can we get someone with a bit of hockey experience?

1) Goalie gets bumped by Ully, play stops, they zoom in on the goalie. No one cares about the goalie. It’s clearly going to kick off. Follow the player that bumped the goalie!

2) Brandt kicks off behind the net then gets ushered off the ice. They zoom in on Brandt to follow him to the penalty box, whilst the other players (Mosey I think) kick off with someone else.

3) With the fight, you can see two Devils players (Sanford and Martin) leaving the puck to chase down after the guy starting on Cox. The camera person is following the play that isn’t a play. I assume they are listening to the commentary which makes it even more baffling as they aren’t following what the commentators are talking about. Small bit of frustration but otherwise Devils Tv providing its usual brilliant product. Thank you to those involved.

jenks33

Well that game had a lot more needle than I expected. Tomorrow should be interesting. I thought there were some questionable checks/hits by Amiens all night, Ully in particular was targeted a few times and he wasn’t happy.

Last edited:

Earnie

I really enjoyed all that tonight. The team is impressive and fast and supportive of each other. Our No.11 Arnier was a contender for MoM.
No 42 had some ice time in the third. Where did he come from?

The_Stick_

I really enjoyed all that tonight. The team is impressive and fast and supportive of each other. Our No.11 Arnier was a contender for MoM.
No 42 had some ice time in the third. Where did he come from?
He has been training with the Devils during pre season. His name Is Jacob White-Sey. Signed to the Slough Jets in the NIHL 1 but on a 2-way with the Pitbulls

Who got MoM in the end? I had to leave at the final whistle?
i thought Amiens were the better team in the first period and we weren’t the same team from last weekend. Amiens PK was brilliant and I liked their forecheck. They seemed to lose it all in the second and played like individuals which is when they lost control. Definitely a poor game for their goalie.
In the second and third we really stepped up and looked more like last weekend’s team. I blooming love that we have so many players who are willing to step up and do many returning players play so much better under PR than under DuPont. I loved seeing PR shouting at Amiens bench, the passion from him and so many of our players is really encouraging, something badly missed last year.
was it stupid for Brandt to leave the bench and fly over a line brawl? Yes
Do I bloody love that he did it? Also yes. He’s a Devil to the core.

Enjoyed that match and we looked better and more cohesive as the game went on. Have to say every new signing looks an improvement on their replacement....Ully and Arniel in particular very impressive. Have to love Brandt, he's so old school it's untrue! Bowns very solid and Harewood looked busy and definitely not out of place. Young kid on D is extremely green but that experience will do his development wonders.

Can see where some of our agitation with amiens was coming from, some very low and dangerous attempted hits. I remember this used to be a trademark of Kevin Noble and I'm sure caused a nasty career ending knee injury on Wally. I may also be wrong and pointing the finger at Noble as to be quite honest I hated that rat of a player.

BostonBart22

Great game for a friendly if I can call it that , old school hockey to the max with dangerous attempts o injure , it was always gonna end up a brawl, love it..PR may have to have few words with brandt and others when the lge season starts as all game penalties are going to be reviewed by DOPS this season, can't fault the commitment though, but bans will be enforced guaranteed. One gripe it took nearly 6 mins to sort the penalties out when the officials were discussing the penalties, and we all know why, they are afraid it will kick off again from restart and that 6 min plus break gives the players a chance to cool their heads, just get on with it..on the plus side the brits were fantastic tonight, great times ahead..see you all at the Sheffield game .