Devils Vs Stars - CC 1/4 Final 2nd Leg - 19th Jan 22

Kevlar68

Piss poor date though wed 23rd. Weekend date would have been better.
Could have showed it in arena bar or maybe St. Peter's hall if it had been a weekend date and made a night of it for fans who aren't traveling and without premier sport.

Slartibartfast

That was an outstanding performance. It was evident that the addition of Coughler and McNulty has turned this team around but that was another level. After a loss Skalde often rightly criticises their lack of passion but there was tons of it last night. They really wanted that win and it looks like they are taking the CC very seriously.

Skalde seems to have mobilised the D as in recent games they are coming forward a lot more. Register is not a smooth skating forward like Fournier. In fact his skating always looks a bit clunky (is that a word) but his size and stick handling make him effective. And defensively I would rate him a lot higher than Fournier. Definitely one to keep.

It was also a lot more physical than usual despite Riley not seeing much ice. That was probably the right decision as penalties played a big part. Dundee had twice the number. Not saying Riley is a goon but his big hits could easily get called with recent refereeing standards.

I think the second half of the season is going to be a lot more exciting than the first.

Ocko

Piss poor date though wed 23rd. Weekend date would have been better.
Could have showed it in arena bar or maybe St. Peter's hall if it had been a weekend date and made a night of it for fans who aren't traveling and without premier sport.
Which weekend or date would you have used? There isn’t much availability in the schedule at all now.

Kevlar68

Which weekend or date would you have used? There isn’t much availability in the schedule at all now.
The problem is as you say it's tricky with dates but also for the clubs hosting the games surely a weekend date would be more lucrative for them, maybe a Friday.
Premier sport will also have a say in it due to their scheduling so could be out of eihl hands.

Earnie

Playing a second leg at home v Sheffield would have been very lucrative! Sheffield would bring at least a thousand fans. Now it won’t happen.

Jonesy83

I think he just confirmed we were playing the Steelers, not that it was the televised game. 1 of the games will be televised so I’m hoping it’s our game.

It’s definitely a money spinning game that is being missed out on, although I can’t imagine that all proceeds will go to the home team, especially as seeding was already in place after the group games.
Obviously it would have been a case that season ticket holders would have had it bumped onto their ticket but even so, missed games still have to be made up for at another point.
I don’t think neutral venues would have been an option, Belfast should sell out so can’t see them agreeing to go across the Irish Sea to a possibly smaller venue when they’ve earned the home game through seeding.
Sheffield won’t give you the skin off their shit if they can help it!!

James

Administrator
Thread starter #136
It was also a lot more physical than usual despite Riley not seeing much ice. That was probably the right decision as penalties played a big part. Dundee had twice the number. Not saying Riley is a goon but his big hits could easily get called with recent refereeing standards.

I think the second half of the season is going to be a lot more exciting than the first.
I'd expect Brandt not to be match fit yet he's played how many games in the last couple of years

E.D.S.

I'd expect Brandt not to be match fit yet he's played how many games in the last couple of years
Agree. I think he needs to be handled carefully. A lot of injuries and not much hockey behind him. The way he apparently plays the game is going to batter his body so expect him to be eased in gently.

ASHIPP

On Panther's fans forum, they seem to think that both teams playing semi final leg away in the one off game (Devils, Panthers) will share the game revenue with the opposing team.

Can't imagine our Club or the Panthers agreeing to play only away from home in the final stages of a competition, and not get some sort of compensation.

BostonBart22

Shocking its not a weekend game, especially as its only one leg affair, obviously the lge don't care a shit about potentially 500 plus devils fans traveling 9 ish hours round trip who have to work as well...ludicrous imo...

Diafol

Ultimately it's Premier Sports who call the shots on this.
It would depend on which other sports a game on a Saturday (e.g. Feb 20th) would compete with.
When the other sports are URC rugby, La Liga or NHL I would guess the EIHL is a distant 4th on that list.