Devils Vs Storm - League - 13th Nov 22 - 18:00 FO

Pretty clear what it means Glynne. I know where this will end up and l don't want to start you off another one of your sorac rants so let's not go there.

I think if we did have facilities the size and quality of Nottingham, Sheffield or Belfast we wouldn't be filling it anyway this year. Not when the on ice product isn't up to standard either. Trouble is people got used to being in a pokey little shit hole so the iaw was palatial by comparison. I don't want to get used to mediocrity and watch us slide back down and become Coventry Blaze 2.0 which is exactly where l see us heading given the current regime.
We should be done with it and just go all-in like the Halifax Highlanders did in The Goon and let Riley Brandt maraud about beating the living daylights out of the opposition! That'll drive ticket sales!

unnamed.jpg

Oh wait...

Samael

Haven't seen the movie so l dunno what you're on about, looks like a straight to dvd effort or a modern slapshot? Mind you l didnt watch our two games this weekend either but that didnt stop me posting and ruffling the feathers of some on here, it's more entertaining than wasting 25 squid on a night down the IAW these days l guess.

Well that was my first visit to the IAW for a while as I was visiting the area. I enjoyed the game and the experience. The Remembrance Commemoration was first class. Respectful silence and an excellent Last Post followed by a good rendition of the National Anthem, much better in my opinion, than when sung by an individual singer.
As for the game, player/team performance and result,:- it lived up to the general comments that have been posted on the forum for some weeks.
I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Coughler playing, hopefully not a serious injury. Waller, Brandt and Davies are genuine work horses with Sanford and Cox adding the standout skills to their effort making in a very dangerous looking line. The Crandall, Reid line looked a weak line. The D is not intimidatingly dominant as the forum have pointed out. However considering they were short of Richie and playing the Storm - they got thru.
So overall not looking as strong as in recent seasons, but more physical than I was expecting being a regular reader of the forum, still competitive and well supported, evidenced by very few empty seats, and I got to see a Cardiff Devils win.
Well done the boys.

E.D.S.

Well considering Kelman likely had the biggest say in who we hired and who we fired last summer, a response like this is predictable.

Dude is stating to sound like a snake oil salesman, he's always been full of hyperbole but he's getting worse year on year. And l'm starting to even bore myself with the criticisms now so I'll pack it in. 2 points in the bag. Well done the team etc etc.
Steady on mate. I’m a bit frustrated with things at the moment but a “snake oil salesman” is way over board for me. Let’s keep it civil and with perspective.

Swarley

I thought last night finally gave a glimpse of what the club boasted about with the team looking to put hits in, get gritty when needed and be an absolute nightmare in front of the crease, Brandt worked non stop last night and showed he wears the badge with pride, Lou looked like an absolute unit especially with that brick wall stop he put out. Jardine still feels like he's neutered compared to his stint with the swamp rabbits, couple others don't seem to of upped their game either but after last night I'm hoping they take notice and follow suit. My one concern is that storm are currently a 9th place team so judging where the Devils skill set is after beating one of the leagues bottom teams isn't exactly something to boast about but having said that panther beat Belfast and then got pumped by Fife... Its definitely a bonkers season.

Also just seen Harewood has left the tigers so he could end up with the devils full time or join the pitbulls.

Oh and with the backhanded comments towards Todd Kelman, as someone who has gone against the grain and been a pain in his ass over the seasons, don't hide behind your online account, go say it to his face if you want to insult his integrity doing it on here just pathetically childish.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

So, didn't see the game, a wins a win BUT storm has only beaten the Scottish sides and in the bottom 4 with them, it's like a mini league down there and we're just about treading water above them. So no change from me, we look good against certain teams but look out of our depth against others.
The problems we have are still there until better consistent form against the top tier is shown.

E.D.S.

I thought last night finally gave a glimpse of what the club boasted about with the team looking to put hits in, get gritty when needed and be an absolute nightmare in front of the crease, Brandt worked non stop last night and showed he wears the badge with pride, Lou looked like an absolute unit especially with that brick wall stop he put out. Jardine still feels like he's neutered compared to his stint with the swamp rabbits, couple others don't seem to of upped their game either but after last night I'm hoping they take notice and follow suit. My one concern is that storm are currently a 9th place team so judging where the Devils skill set is after beating one of the leagues bottom teams isn't exactly something to boast about but having said that panther beat Belfast and then got pumped by Fife... Its definitely a bonkers season.

Also just seen Harewood has left the tigers so he could end up with the devils full time or join the pitbulls.

Oh and with the backhanded comments towards Todd Kelman, as someone who has gone against the grain and been a pain in his ass over the seasons, don't hide behind your online account, go say it to his face if you want to insult his integrity doing it on here just pathetically childish.
Entertaining game though. Slow start to the game but it soon became a spectacle. No it wasn't Steelers or Giants but I left feeling that I had some serious value for money.

Good point about TK.

Finny

I purposely didn't come on here after the last two losses because:
a) I didn't see either game
b) I could imagine how bad it would be on here.

Having seen last night's game though I came on expecting to see some debate on the game but surprise surprise the thread is full of the usual trolls and their usual garbage. With some you can even spot the point where we starting winning and they get disappointed. I guess it shows how much our success over the past couple of years had upset newbie fans from other teams that we live so rent free in their heads they come on here, create fake accounts that pretend to be Cardiff fans but actually just post nonsense, wind actual Cardiff fans up and then take screenshots to post on Twitter for likes (Morning all!!!).

Anyone criticising the current ownership group or current venue clearly wasn't a Devils fan back in the BBT days when we had a succession of bad owner after bad owner. Yes in hindsight we would have liked a bigger capacity for IAW but the only reason that is a subject is because we sell out so often because we have owners and management who have invested so much and built up the club so well.

For those of who stuck with the team throughout the BBT years we could only have dreamt of a 'blip' like this.

Finny

Anyway, onto the game.

A nervous start to the game which was perhaps unsurprising after recent events, and a very soft goal to concede early. We absolutely dominated the first period though as SOG proved and if we recorded which zone action takes place in I'd imagine it would have been around 70% in the Storm zone.
Waller's goal was a thing of beauty and shows what a good player he is. Storm showed a bit of fight at times but another huge spell of domination in the second gave us a two goal lead we deserved. Storm started the third brightly but we held them off well and another beautifully taken goal by Waller sealed the win.

Waller was the standout for me whilst the Cox-Martin-Sanford line looks threatening every time it is on the ice. Penny had his best game of the season IMO and Brittain too was looking far more effective in driving the net with the puck.

Although we only conceded one goal we do look a bit shaky at times on D still - perhaps not surpring with Richardson's absense. In an ideal world we would be bringing in a defensive defenceman who has AHL experience but too old to get a new contract. 2022's version of Tyson Strachan.
But I wonder if that just isn't an option with the current financial situation. Thanks to Truss tanking the pound it will be even more expensive than usual to get that quality of player. It's not like the other teams in the league are signing players and I think "Damn. Why couldn't we have signed them!"

bb1

Batch the 8th wonder of the world. Offers nothing on the ice these days. Personally I would look at bringing in a new D and putting him as 4th line power forward, but needs to find his power
Batch sadly is really having a shocker of a season. Last season he was very very good. What I do not understand is that with all his testimonial events upcoming hes playing so soft. In my opinion if he played a bit more like Brandt and Louis in the hitting department he would really get more of the fans behind him and onside and hopefully that would help him sell out his testimonial events £££.

His seasons with Hendo were superb and he was full of confidence. Its so frustrating as he has plenty of talent, tough as they come and the size to match. We are not seeing the same guy that went toe to toe with Valibik, Fitzgerald and the guy who beat up Keefe. He doesnt need to go out there and fight but just show willing that he will do if players overstep the mark. Louis to his credit has done that perfectly all season.

Swarley

Entertaining game though. Slow start to the game but it soon became a spectacle. No it wasn't Steelers or Giants but I left feeling that I had some serious value for money.

Good point about TK.
Oh it was definitely an entertaining game, it was much needed after the last couple of games, hopefully it's a confidence boost going forward.

Samael

You assume these posters haven't spoken to the MD to his face then call them pathetic and childish.

I speak for myself now, no one else, l have raised concerns to Kelman directly in the past, in person yet here we are again. Same issues, same 'garbage newbie trolls' too l suppose.

kingmo19.1

I’m amazed people on this Forum have the audacity to have a pop at Todd and the Owners! This club was on its arse before they took over and it’s been transformed off and on the ice since.

We’ve won a load of Silverware since the new owners took charge and they have provided us with some awesome memories.

We are not entitled to be champions every season and past success doesn’t guarantee success in the future - look at Man Utd as an example!

Ask yourself if you’d swap our owners and GM with anyone else in the league - I certainly would not! We’ve been spoilt since they took over and we shouldn’t forget where we were before they came in.