Devils Vs Zemgale - Conti Cup - 20th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

Wannabe2

Big shout out to all of the volunteers who must be absolutely shattered today. That's a lot of hockey to volunteer for. Many of those are there hours before the games starts. We don't have hockey without them.
Totally agree we would be up the Creek without these unselfish folk, and thank you guys for everything you do to make the night a success. Without you guys the night don’t happen, so take a bow please, we don’t always say it but a massive Thank You from us all.

moggy#9

The relationship with Telford for Harewood was that Telford got first refusal so we could only call him up if they didn't have a game or didn't need him.

But with the D-men and NM at Pitbulls we get first refusal - so doesn't matter if they have a game we can call them up if we choose to.

Now with Harewood moving to Bristol I'd presume the same situation exists with him.

TK confirmed the same in his Q&A a few weeks back
Thanks for the clarification. I'd (wrongly) assumed that the rules were the same across the league.

kettdevil1

Thank you. I think the two ways are always listed.

I must say this weekend every single person played their part, the team were fantastic, the fans in the seats were the loudest they have been so far this season, and everyone I was lucky enough to work alongside on the Gantry and across the rink put in the very best level of service they could.

A huge amount of work went into it, and I feel we gave a fantastic account of our club, our country and British Hockey. It was awesome seeing the relationship blossom between Angers and Devils fans.

one of my favourite weekends of hockey. I just hope we can all continue the feel good factor over the rest of the season.
100% this. I am genuinely mystified as to how people did not enjoy this tournament. The atmosphere was as good as I have known at IAW, despite the lower than expected attendance, and Saturday's game was a superb game of tactical hockey. I am not sure what people want from a game if it's not atmosphere, some great goals, some excellent NMing from all teams and some random bits of violence on a Sunday evening.....

It was also great to meet the Angers fans who were some of the friendliest I have come across and to top it all off, the Devils topped their group.

Absolutely accept the opinions of others but I just wonder how you managed to sit on your hands in the arena thinking this wasn't a good tournament.

For me it was the most fun of the season and I can't wait for a (hopefully) European tour.

Diablo3

100% this. I am genuinely mystified as to how people did not enjoy this tournament. The atmosphere was as good as I have known at IAW, despite the lower than expected attendance, and Saturday's game was a superb game of tactical hockey. I am not sure what people want from a game if it's not atmosphere, some great goals, some excellent NMing from all teams and some random bits of violence on a Sunday evening.....

It was also great to meet the Angers fans who were some of the friendliest I have come across and to top it all off, the Devils topped their group.

Absolutely accept the opinions of others but I just wonder how you managed to sit on your hands in the arena thinking this wasn't a good tournament.

For me it was the most fun of the season and I can't wait for a (hopefully) European tour.
What he said....

terry hunt

i must admit i enjoyed most of the games over weekend.I am surprised at some of the patronising comments about our opponents.The Devils are a middle of the table EIHL team this year and have been nothing to shout about.The good thing about this tournament was that the Devils got their act together for 3 consecutive games with a short bench,
My biggest disappointment was the last game against Zemgale.They are a team packed with young Latvians very fast skillful but a bit naive.I expected them to use their large bench and run us flat out and try and make the numbers count.
Sadly their coach decided to ignore their abilities to try and get our players thrown out, cause fights which they could cope with due to their large bench to get the result.It could have worked but our players amazingly kept their cool and took the game.I thought Dupont did a great job.We seemed to escape without more injuries and i thought Bowns had a great game.
Zemgale played without any shape and only PlanA which failed.I suspect that they were under pressure from owners etc to do this as they had lost the first 2 games.Their fans had been great until yesterday but started getting pretty nasty as the game went on.
Not playing Brandt and Coughler was sensible in the circumstances.We have the league and cup to deal with next.

I think the fact that the average age of the Latvians must have been about 16 prevented big Lou from filling one of them in.
He and all the Devils players did well to keep their composure (within reason)
Carnage with Riley Brandt out there tho lol

moggy#9

i must admit i enjoyed most of the games over weekend.I am surprised at some of the patronising comments about our opponents.The Devils are a middle of the table EIHL team this year and have been nothing to shout about.The good thing about this tournament was that the Devils got their act together for 3 consecutive games with a short bench,
My biggest disappointment was the last game against Zemgale.They are a team packed with young Latvians very fast skillful but a bit naive.I expected them to use their large bench and run us flat out and try and make the numbers count.
Sadly their coach decided to ignore their abilities to try and get our players thrown out, cause fights which they could cope with due to their large bench to get the result.It could have worked but our players amazingly kept their cool and took the game.I thought Dupont did a great job.We seemed to escape without more injuries and i thought Bowns had a great game.
Zemgale played without any shape and only PlanA which failed.I suspect that they were under pressure from owners etc to do this as they had lost the first 2 games.Their fans had been great until yesterday but started getting pretty nasty as the game went on.
Not playing Brandt and Coughler was sensible in the circumstances.We have the league and cup to deal with next.
Patronising? How so? The simple fact is that none of the teams were of the level of the elite league. Even angers would have been badly beaten by the devils were it not for some excellent netminding. In fact this is the crux of a real problem for our league. Whilst I'm sure the final grouping will be very hard fought, eihl falls into the trap of being one of the better leagues in this competition, but not strong enough to do consistently well in the chl, even if we weren't getting shut out of that competition in the future.

I know that in some countries talented players go to better leagues in neighbouring countries. I'm sure that has affected the games in places like Latvia and Slovenia. That's not a criticism, it's just an unfortunate fact if life for them.

kingmo19.1

Also a £30 streaming package from the comfort of your armchair during cold. Crappy weather may also be a factor
I think I’ve Hockey Overload would have maybe also played a part! I love the sport but don’t think I’d enjoy watching 6 full games in 3 days! Even 3 Devils games in 3 days is a bit much!

E.D.S.

I thought it was great weekend of hockey. Nice to have a break from the league. The atmosphere was first class.
I see Block 13 have a megaphone! Love it!!

BostonBart22

overall a great set of games, the speed of some of the teams was amazing , some had skill levels some didnt ,was a great spectacle all weekend, not sure what fans expect watching streams but live action is much better being there...well done to all teams...ps hope todd has got cowleys details as a future nettie

BostonBart22

I dont normally park in the swimming pool carpark seen a girl at the entrance in a hi vis jacket stopping devils fans from parking there on saturday, heard it was for swimmers only, as a council carpark is that allowed ..

lloyd_jeff

Where was the event marketed as a social event where hockey interest is secondary? What a weird thing to say? I went to all three games this weekend and the atmosphere was really good??
It was aimed at the groups who are becoming more and more Saturday night drunks disturbing hockey fans with their abuse. I’m not the first and only to comment on such behaviour & critic of Todd for the poor security. It’s pretty obvious that if we had 3200 diehard hockeys fan the attendance levels would have been better, simple fact is we are a little bit like rugby fans, the nation turns out for the 6 nations, barely watches club rugby or test matches against lesser sides. Todd has to fill the rink & that includes marketing to groups, families etc who all go to watch as a social event, enjoy the game, yes but hockey isn’t the driving force. I bet most won’t go and watch NHL, KHL or any other league that Cardiff doesn’t play in. That was my point.

Last edited:

James

Administrator
Thread starter #77
So is it a marketing tactic as you claim, or a consequence of a rise in interest as the team have become more successful ? I've not seen any advertising of it as a drinks venue, have you?

Chris

Administrator
It was aimed at the groups who are becoming more and more Saturday night drunks disturbing hockey fans with their abuse. I’m not the first and only to comment on such behaviour & critic of Todd for the poor security. It’s pretty obvious that if we had 3200 diehard hockeys fan the attendance levels would have been better, simple fact is we are a little bit like rugby fans, the nation turns out for the 6 nations, barely watches club rugby or test matches against lesser sides. Todd has to fill the rink & that includes marketing to groups, families etc who all go to watch as a social event, enjoy the game, yes but hockey isn’t the driving force. I bet most won’t go and watch NHL, KHL or any other league that Cardiff doesn’t play in. That was my point.
And yet you said...
Maybe Todd will realise that fans come to watch the EIHL, the majority don’t care about competition from Europe. It’s shows a lack of understanding of your market place, particularly made worse when Todd seems to market the game as a social event for people who’s interest in hockey is secondary.
So which marketing are you talking about?

I did reply to your original post, but you don't seem to have chosen to reply to that one. If you've got links to Twitter or Facebook then it would be interesting to see them, because no one else has commented that the marketing of games has suddenly stopped being ice hockey related.

So if the posts don't exist, what are you saying, that Kelman is advertising the game to the wrong types of people? I.e. groups, families...

I don't really understand what not watching "NHL, KHL or any other league that Cardiff doesn't play in" has to do with it either. Does this make them somehow less appropriate to have marketing focussed at? Because if that's the case I better remove myself from being a Devils fan.

Kevlar68

The only marketing that i ever have ever seen for large numbers is "Group Bookings" it doesn't say "Pisshead asshole bookings".
I believe these dickheads just come thinking it's going to be like slapshot without any real knowledge of the Devils. The total tossers i have seen at the arena i have never seen there twice, they come, have a jolly, get wasted before town then bugger off to the bay along the way.
These absolute knobheads can not be laid at the feet of Todd BUT security need a zero tolerance, any untoward behaviour and you go straight out, no second chances.
This is why i don't go to Saturday games anymore and cancelled my season ticket, i didn't like the experience, was more concentrated on getting annoyed at the idiots than watching the game so now it's only Sundays or Fridays for me and my partner.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

The only marketing that i ever have ever seen for large numbers is "Group Bookings" it doesn't say "Pisshead asshole bookings".
I believe these dickheads just come thinking it's going to be like slapshot without any real knowledge of the Devils. The total tossers i have seen at the arena i have never seen there twice, they come, have a jolly, get wasted before town then bugger off to the bay along the way.
These absolute knobheads can not be laid at the feet of Todd BUT security need a zero tolerance, any untoward behaviour and you go straight out, no second chances.
This is why i don't go to Saturday games anymore and cancelled my season ticket, i didn't like the experience, was more concentrated on getting annoyed at the idiots than watching the game so now it's only Sundays or Fridays for me and my partner.
Spot on.