Drums and Block 2/3

Wannabe2 said:
Drums definately have there place at the rink, and can and do add some great atmosphere to our gaff. Paul, Mike, Sean and others do and have done a great job over the years, and i like the idea of having a place in the new building and a chinese gong sounds awesome. Its just that not everyone wants to be sat next to or close by, and that can be for various reasons, and to a certain extent age also comes into it. I remember Tonsils bringing his sax at one time, and we also miss that guy.
I agree that Tonsils is missed. I don't get to come to many games but last season against Sheffield I was please to see him at the game doing what he does best. Wonder why he doesn't come as much.

TheStub

Re: Re: Drums and Block 2/3

drummer-ricky said:
finally someone with a bit of technical knowledge ;), you say hit it harder but i find rim-shots help more than just 'smashing it in rage' obviously there is a fine line when it comes to the quicker rhythms but it helps slightly, i have mine set up so the top skin is less tense than bottom and not much snare, as it gives more of a lower base tone, but with the lack of a floor tom we are in an endless circle.
Rim shots are the way to get the volume, as long as you match it with a heavy stick. A good 5B, none of that 7A nonsense. I would also suggest buying a good brand, pro-mark have always weathered my heavy metal playing with ease. Cheap sticks just explode too easily.

I'd be tempted to tune the snare up as a snare. Attempting to pull extra tones (especially from a metal shelled snare) is always a hiding for nothing, and is best achieved with head selection rather than tuning.

For a phat snare, you want a thicker resonant head paired with a double ply batter head - probably a coated hydraulic.

With any drum, you need to tune it to the fundamental frequency of the shell, or a harmonic thereof. When you get that sweet tone it'll be at its loudest and most focused. Personally I love to hear the focused crack of a snare.

having been forced to stand next to insane drummers for close to 45 years you would think they should know how to compensate for echos and acoustics of halls and keep to time , best place for them above away goal,,,, plastic horns brasshorns same area,,,,,,, :DWD

D'ya know I think Gospel has a point. The drums are to spark chants and as much as I love sitting in blocks 12-13 they are quiet and I don't like to shout because I'll look like a sociopath.

'Choirs' to begin chants in various locations around the ice would also be good as the hardcore seem concentrated in the blocks above the team benches. That said, I've always been pleased that the Devils don't go for anything so tacky as cheerleaders.

I feel an affinity with the drummers, too. I consider myself to be half drummer, in that the head of a banjo is essentially a drum... :)