Espn America/ESPN Player ditch NHL?

Thread starter #21
TheStub said:
I'm almost hoping they allow UK subscribers use NHL Game Centre. The options are mind blowing for us used to one showing of every games.

Imagine - always getting the Hockey Night in Canada coverage. :D Or (for us Devils fans) MSG Devils.

But at least it sounds like we will get something at least as good as ESPN Player. Still a while to go before the season kicks off.
I agree, Game Centre would be tremendous, having said that though I do enjoy watching Hockey Night in Canada on a Sat night with a takeaway and a beer in front of the tv which is why I'm hoping a tv deal gets sorted. Not the same in front of the laptop. Needs must though.

Thread starter #24
It has been confirmed via email that NHL Gamecenter Live will be available in Europe this season! Great news. Subscriptions begin end of Sept.

Thread starter #26
Ingramator said:
I know I could go and look, but would this be recommended to subscribe to nhl game centre?
Depends how much you like NHL. Cost not announced bur they show every game of the season with a choice of feed (i.e CBC hockey night in Canada).

TheStub

:D :D :D

That news has made my day - provided they give full access. Choice of feeds, archive of every game going back to 2007, huge selection of classic games.

ESPN was good - but Gamecentre has everything I thought ESPN missed. Now I just hope it uses Flash and not Silverlight (I'm a Linux user) and the stream quality is there - but all ESPN did was re-stream the Gamecente streams.

wildthing74

Pardon my ignorance as I'm not as clued up IT wise as most on here.What does that mean tv wise?I only have ESPN for the hockey coverage so will there be a channel showing coverage or just online?
Thanks in advance for any info.

wildthing74 said:
Pardon my ignorance as I'm not as clued up IT wise as most on here.What does that mean tv wise?I only have ESPN for the hockey coverage so will there be a channel showing coverage or just online?
Thanks in advance for any info.
John at the moment there will be no coverage on TV via ESPN or online via ESPN player.

I understand things are being sorted though.

Skippy

If it is Game centre we need for this year wonder how much it will cost ?

Anyone have any idea ? A quick look online is failing me

TheStub

The only price I've found is $172 for a season (paid in three instalments). However that was for Center Ice, not the GameCenter Live. Apparently they are similarly priced.

Not sure what features we would get, or what the pricing would actually be. I would guess at least $20 a month - which compares favourably with the ESPN offering last season (which I couldn't now imagine life without).

We need news SOON :D :D

Don't hold your breath on the TV side of things :(

I emailed Medge to ask about UK coverage, and got the following:

Thank you for your mail and taking the time to voice your concerns for the upcoming season.

We (Medge and AMI) acquired the rights to the next 5 seasons this summer and have since then been in intensive negotiations with interested parties for the broadcasting of the season on television. When it cones to the www operations we are expecting at the very least to be able to offer a service equal to that of the Espn player you have become used to in the past. At this moment we cannot say however whether this would be via ESPN or direct via the NHL.com site itself (which incidentally had been further expanded for the coming season)

Please be a little patient and keep an eye on the press/www as to the information once the discussions are concluded.

So to clarify, I asked about the TV side of things:

Hi again,
Our target is to make the NHL available for both linear TV and web.

A target is one thing, getting it in place for this season is quite another! :/

TheStub

I guess the negotiations aren't moving quickly, and therefore they don't want to promise anything.

Realistically no channel will be willing to pay for the UK NHL rights. It may just end up on ESPN by default as no-one else wants it.

Diafol

Just found this in my spam emails from last Friday

ESPN Player:
We know you love NHL and we are still speaking to the current rights holders about the potential for English-language rights in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. We remain interested in continuing our coverage if the right opportunity exists. We’ll share more information with you at an appropriate time in the future.