Espn America/ESPN Player ditch NHL?

Thread starter #41
It appears that online Gamecenter is all but assured for UK via NHL.com but tv rights less clear. There's a facebook page set up by some guys on twitter who are looking for people to 'like' for updates. On my iPhone so can't post link but search 'no NHL on tv in europe' and you'll come across it. Cheers.

Taken from Aaron Murphy blog on ESPNA

Many of you hockey fans have emailed us and posted on Facebook / Twitter asking about the status of NHL on the channel. Unfortunately, I don’t have a definitive answer, but I have asked the ESPN America management team on behalf of our viewers, readers and social media community. At the moment, I was told, that while negotiations continue the company is only able to say the following:

“We are still in discussions with the NHL’s rights holders about rights in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region and remain interested in continuing our coverage of the league if the right opportunity exists. We still have a valued relationship with the NHL and remain fans of the sport. We’ll share more information as it develops.”

Personally, I know that ESPN America does truly have a lot of hockey fans. The people I asked genuinely understand your questions and concerns, but don’t have an answer at the moment. So I’ll keep asking and share more if anything changes.

Re: Re: Espn America/ESPN Player ditch NHL?

DevilDan said:
And if so how do we got about getting gamecenter?
I know we can get gamecenter through nhl.com, its about $160 don't know what that's in pounds, but want to know 100% if I get it

Diafol

I just signed up to GCL, you can pay in full or monthly instalments of around £12.

Can't watch live pre-season games by the look of it, but the previous match-ups are available.

Woo Hoo !

TheStub

Nice to see the NHL read the Inferno :D I'll be signing up tonight... it is personally my ideal solution as I don't have Sky or Virgin.

That is cheaper than ESPN Player for a better set of features :D :D :evil:

Here's hoping it is quick enough for us in Europe.

Diafol said:
I just signed up to GCL, you can pay in full or monthly instalments of around £12.

Can't watch live pre-season games by the look of it, but the previous match-ups are available.

Woo Hoo !
Have you watched a game yet? Are we able to view live games because in faq it says Europe can't watch live streaming?

skippy said:
No live streams ? Really :(
Well I don't think they have updated it because they are still talking about ESPN player, but then reading it a but more it says using internet connected devices eg ps3 etc that can link to your tv you can watch live

Diafol

I haven't had a chance to watch a live game yet. I have a feeling that live pre-season games are blocked in the UK, but once the regular season starts you definitely WILL be able to watch up to 4 games at the same time :eek:

How do you follow all the pucks ? :lol:

Some pre-season games are available to view (I've been watching Flyers v Rangers from a few days ago) but the choice from the archive is truly staggering.

The quality of the streams is very good too.

I'm not sure about the connecting your PS3 thing though (I don't have one), but I don't think the mobile phone connectivity is officially available over here.

Diafol said:
I haven't had a chance to watch a live game yet. I have a feeling that live pre-season games are blocked in the UK, but once the regular season starts you definitely WILL be able to watch up to 4 games at the same time :eek:

How do you follow all the pucks ? :lol:

Some pre-season games are available to view (I've been watching Flyers v Rangers from a few days ago) but the choice from the archive is truly staggering.

The quality of the streams is very good too.

I'm not sure about the connecting your PS3 thing though (I don't have one), but I don't think the mobile phone connectivity is officially available over here.
That's awesome information thank you, you just made my mind up on buying it. Yea I have a ps3 and its free, it says that UK folk are able to do it! (Not actual wording) I think I will buy it now! :D

TheStub

The FAQ hasn't been updated in months... but... until a few weeks ago even going on to the Game Center Live site took you to a page saying you had to use ESPN player (with a link that when clicked took you to an ESPN page that said they don't have ice hockey).

Few a couple of weeks now you could get to the package page. When they announced the pricing clicking the buy link took you around in a big circle back to the same page. Today is the first time I have seen the ability to actually buy.

Technically the NHL don't have the rights to the pre season games, and even American fans have been complaining that they can't watch them on GCL or Center Ice. In fact some of them aren't even covered by a broadcaster and the teams stream them themselves.

I'm buying. If it turns out that I can't watch I'll be fighting to get my money back (if you can pay on credit card and then your are covered by UK law). But it all looks great - and it is only ~£100 a season :D :D :D

Thread starter #59
One of the guy's who mods the 'no NHL tv deal in europe' Facebook page, Mark, has just phoned Gamecenter support. Playoffs ARE included in the season price of 160 dollars. He's blogged with some further info too.

We are currently in deep discussions to secure distribution of live NHL games throughout Europe. We anticipate having a number of announcements of where fans in these territories will be able to watch NHL games in the coming days.

If for some reason we aren't able to secure a deal in time for start of season in your specific area, NHL GameCenter Live will be an option for you to watch live games.

I understand your frustration, but appreciate your patience.

Best,
Kerry

received this email yesterday regarding tv coverage in the uk,maybe a deal willbe sorted soon as don't want to pay for gamecenter live and watch streams online