Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat / Updates

Re: Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat / Upd

This was my third Nottingham play offs in a row and not the best i must admit!
And that so called lady who took the giant beach ball off the Clan fans should be shot, not only for taking the ball but also for taunting the fans!

The team played their socks and other things off all weekend I felt, and indeed all season all things considered, and Saturday was our day, they made us very proud, the final was a bonus to qualify let alone win.

ASHIPP

This weekend demonstrated exactly what it means to be a fan of this fantastic club.

Every positive quality that defines what it is to be a Cardiff Devils' player was on show in spade loads over those two games : relentlessness, great work ethic, team spirit, guts and 'never say die' attitude. Thommo paid tribute to G and the team by saying that they would 'die trying' before giving up anything.

A Devils' fan held up a sign saying 'Class not Brass' - the team with the biggest heart and the most guts playing the 2 teams with the biggest budgets.

Congratulations to the Nottingham Panthers on retaining the Playoff Cup - they are undoubtedly a good cup side and difficult to beat on their own ice.

But for 53 minutes, with a 0-0 score, the game could have gone either way. Defensively, both teams played so well that only the smallest scoring opportunity was going to change the game. Despite being very short-benched and beat-up, the Devils hung in there and worked hard. Beauregard, with all his skill and some good fortune, just happened to be in right place at the right time. It could have been the Devils and it wasn't, this time.......but it will be, very soon. :D

The best entertainment was the dressed up fans etc. Very little effort put in by the league, if we go back to more qualifying games next year there may be more chance for Panthers to get knocked out leaving the NIC a neutral venue. Since the league is now virtually run by Neil Black I can t see this happening.

The other suggestion I have, series of games home and away 1/4 finals and semi home and away and a one game final at Neutral or 2 legged home and away final.

Then we can change The Forum All stars charity weekend into an annual get together for all hockey fans to replace Play Off Finals Weekend therefore raising more money for charity instead of the Neil Black Elite League

Put succinctly, the team can go away with their heads held high after the weekend. Phenomenal performance against the two highest budget teams in the league.

G's tactic were spot on, our defence was first class, our young Brits stood up to the experienced imports. All we were really missing was a bit more fire power up front in the end. Really disappointed with Pierce, he was plain lazy and I hope he wont be back next year. Aside from him (and obviously Matzka due to retirement), I'd love to see the whole team back with a few big goal scoring imports added.

I also agree with comments re: the venue. It was certainly not transformed into a neutral venue for the weekend and the whole Panthers home advantage is starting to get to me. The operation just seemed tired, routine and uninspiring. You just get the feeling that the NIC don't feel they need to make a lot of effort since they have the contract sewn up. :DWD

But all in all, the Devils did us proud, our fans did us proud and we pushed it further than anyone realistically expected. :)

Gazza272

Watching the final I have to say I was bitterly dissapointed in everything but the defence.

I am still suprised we played the game not to lose, the way we were set up it was just a matter of time before Nottingham scored, we had no belief in ourselves going into the offensive end.

It was clear that when we pulled the goalie we had no clue as to how to get back into the game and the Panthers knew it, we didnt test their fitness and as such they had plenty left in the tank.

Maccrae looked out of gas and aside from two hits in the first few Minutes Phil Hill was anonymous. People will say Pierce was lazy but when you have a player who is pretty much all offence how can he get into the game when all we could do is chip it out of the zone or play a wayward stretch pass? As Paul Thompson said on Commentary how can he get into the game without the puck?

The real dissapointing part was that all of our good offensive chances fell to Dobben who sadly doesnt have the offensive nous of others and he kept shooting from areas where Kowalski was in full view of the puck and ate them up for breakfast, with better desicion making from Dobben we could have scored a couple yesterday for me.

The standouts for me were Harding and pretty much all the D! and of course Lyle. Ben Davies worked his socks off but sadly got regularly beaten in the face off circle as you would expect. In some years to come though I think Ben will be a premier British Centreman!

Piggot also impressed me, one of the only players looking to get the puck tonight with some threat when possible and also one of the only players who seemed to respect it was a final.

All in all this post is going to sound incredibly harsh, but i just didnt think there was enough gusto in the performance for the last game of the season. All summer can our guys from top to bottom say they really went to win that final game? For me I dont think they can! Which is a shame as in the third period Nottingham were there for the taking when frustration set in. But we never tested them.

jimmy snels

Koop11 said:
He took a huge, clean hit from Lapine and clocked up some valuable minutes at the highest level. He will learn a hell of a lot from that game and will be better for it. .
i called it checking to the head straight away. he raised up and made contact directly to hardings head. you just cant check like that any more! if the head is the principle point of contact you should be expecting a high amount of PIM's atleast. recklessness gets you banned and doesnt matter if its not on purpose but it doesnt matter anymore. i was actually really disappointed no one decided to atleast rough lepine or even say something the bunch of fairies!!!! :lol:

Koop11

jimmy snels said:
Koop11 said:
He took a huge, clean hit from Lapine and clocked up some valuable minutes at the highest level. He will learn a hell of a lot from that game and will be better for it. .
i called it checking to the head straight away. he raised up and made contact directly to hardings head. you just cant check like that any more! if the head is the principle point of contact you should be expecting a high amount of PIM's atleast. recklessness gets you banned and doesnt matter if its not on purpose but it doesnt matter anymore. i was actually really disappointed no one decided to atleast rough lepine or even say something the bunch of fairies!!!! :lol:
I have to disagree with regard to the hit. I thought it was clean as a whistle and I have since seen it on Sky and it proved right. Harding had the pick. He was caught with his head down. Lapine's elbows and stick are down and his shoulder hits Harding in the chest. I do agree however that someone should have confronted Lapine.

TheStub

Re: Re: Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat /

Koop11 said:
jimmy snels said:
Koop11 said:
I have to disagree with regard to the hit. I thought it was clean as a whistle and I have since seen it on Sky and it proved right. Harding had the pick. He was caught with his head down. Lapine's elbows and stick are down and his shoulder hits Harding in the chest. I do agree however that someone should have confronted Lapine.
Not seen the hit, but I can understand why we didn't go after Lepine. Who would have done it.

I'd have liked Lepine sorted out, but we just didn't have the man power, and the Panthers knew it.

The hit was huge but fair.
As Koop says he hit him in the chest not the head.

jimmy snels

G maybe? i dont know if you needed to be throwing bombs but i would like to have seen a bit of a push and shove! how did harding split his lip right open if it didnt make contact with the head, his face was up when he hit the ice? anyway doesnt matter we still lost :(

He could of bit his lip with the impact, if that hit was to the head he'd of missed the rest of the game with concussion mate.

jimmy snels

he was pretty shaken up but being welsh makes ur skull thicker and sences duller.... i should know! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok, at game i thought it was to the head, not watched game back yet, so if it was a clean hit to the chest why was he bleeding from the mouth area :?: . all things considerd i can;t believe any one can fault the devils in any way ( pierce ? ), and to get to the final 3 yrs on the trot and 4 out of 6 is amazin and to get there every year is also a feat to behold, ok we've not won it but for a midd table team on a budget playing out of a tent that went bust last summer we've had far more good finals storys to tell than most, got my season ticket for next season, can't wait.

Paul Sullivan

Not a clean hit for me, head down or not. Watched it on very slo-mo today - point of impact was cheek / chin and whilst I don't think it was intentional I do believe it warranted a penalty.

Paul Sullivan said:
Not a clean hit for me, head down or not. Watched it on very slo-mo today - point of impact was cheek / chin and whilst I don't think it was intentional I do believe it warranted a penalty.
I agree with that. Point of contact was the lower part of the head. Not dirty, not intentional, just didn't get it quite right. If that wasn't a playoff final, Harding wouldn't have been back. Outstanding guts and determination shown to compete after that.

Finny

Earnie said:
AND

A thank you to Sheffield fans for supporting us in the final.
Not really.

They supported Sheffield in the QFs - and lost
They supported Belfast in SF1 - and they lost
They supported Hull in SF2 - and they lost
They supported us in the Final - what hope did we have?????

Sheffield fans cost us the title.

Sheincar

Finny said:
Earnie said:
AND

A thank you to Sheffield fans for supporting us in the final.
Not really.

They supported Sheffield in the QFs - and lost
They supported Belfast in SF1 - and they lost
They supported Hull in SF2 - and they lost
They supported us in the Final - what hope did we have?????

Sheffield fans cost us the title.
:lol: :lol: :lol: