G re-signs, 2 year deal

Well I'm one of the few who is not to happy with this news.

I'm sure I will be shot down by many fans on here but to me G just is not the man to bring back silverware to cardiff.

Granted we came second last year and we have gone to the playoffs but in his time here he only won one trophy with Pattersons team.

It might be a case of no resources but to me he is just not the man to lead us forward

I personally think this is a good sign for the devils, g loves the club, he did well with the players we.had this season and also I think he is playing better. G is the man to get us silverware if he has the funds. We all have different views but I'm happy with this one

Diafol

Burgy said:
Well I'm one of the few who is not to happy with this news.

I'm sure I will be shot down by many fans on here but to me G just is not the man to bring back silverware to cardiff.

Granted we came second last year and we have gone to the playoffs but in his time here he only won one trophy with Pattersons team.

It might be a case of no resources but to me he is just not the man to lead us forward

Not trying to shoot you down mate but think of what G could do with a budget like Belfast's.

We have punched above our weight for a few years now and IMO that's down to G and Franny.

Good news in my book.

Definitely great news! G has been outstanding both on and off the ice. He pulls of superb signings and pushes the guys to give the best they have. What more could you ask for, with a good budget in front off him he would easily win silverware

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

wildthing74

Why is it not good news Chris? You really think any other coach on these shores would do better with G's budget?
We with what we have should not be able to finish above likes of Cov but we do and that is credit to G.I don't think many people would be able to put up with the politics that surround this club especially all the off ice stuff.
Giving him a 2 year deal means we can build going into the new rink.Stability over the next few years is key.

Granted he has done well with what money restraints we have.

Last season was by far his best in Cardiff based on how we finished in the league and that was his best chance of winning the league.

I think we should be able to finish above teams like Coventry as we have seen this year that even with them having there money problems they are finishing the season well.

I actually think that if you put Thommo in Adams shoes Thommo would put a good team together with the money that we have and still put in a great finish to the season and give us a play off win based on his experience.

Ok we all know we are not going to get Thommo.

The past summers off ice antics didnt help us this year and we could have done without that.

But like i said for me G is not the man in my eyes. I hope we have a better off season and there becomes a little extra cash to spend and hopefully G does something to make me eat my hat :)

I have to agree with burgy on this one, if G is going to be a player coach next season what a waste of a import slot, if this is what ragan calls the club going forward he is a joke

osh

Ok, so we go with G for the next 2 years, can't really complain as he has done well to get us through this season especially with the off ice problems during last summer. To be fair, he has had a pretty good season, but do I think I want to see him playing after next season, not really! So I hope he concentrates on coaching only for the 2013/14 season. No doubt he wants to be coaching the team who play out of the new arena in 2014/15 season and I have to say that he must win something in 13/14 to secure that coaching position imo.

Just important, if not more so, I now hope we can now secure and announce the signings of our talented Brit players as soon as possible. Also, it is important to announce what imports we are keeping.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #15
pete20 said:
I have to agree with burgy on this one, if G is going to be a player coach next season what a waste of a import slot, if this is what ragan calls the club going forward he is a joke
I can understand Burgy's perspective as he has at least based it on examples. I disagree but he puts his point over well. That said I get sick of hearing the 'Patterson's team' thing as whilst there is an element of truth in it you still have to coach them to the trophy. Neilson's performance in the league highlights the value of coaching over purchasing.

However I have to say if you wanted to criticise G's performance and you chose his standard of play as your weapon of choice you have, IMHO, made a blunder. If you could point me in the direction of two defence men each year that have, over the entire last two seasons, played at a consistently higher level than G on our blue line I would be interested to see their names.

Weller was a complete anomaly, Kenton has been brilliant but suffered with injuries and to be honest for my money G has been the most calming presence on the blueline since Wes Jarvis.

Paul Ragan promised G a raised budget in the January forum and G backed himself and Franny and said he saw no reason we could not be a top-two team, fighting for every trophy providing he gets that budget.

I am delighted to have a man of his integrity and determination back with the Devils and look forward to the results he can produce when he has something approaching parity on the wage bill.

osh

Paul, I wouldn't have expected you to have said anything different. However, your post is not very well thought out or worded e.g your quote

If you could point me in the direction of two defence men each year that have, over the entire last two seasons, played at a consistently higher level than G on our blue line I would be interested to see their names.

As you ask, I hope the following keeps you interested!! There have only been 3 players that have actually played on our blue line over the entire last 2 seasons!! ( Adams, K.Smith and Richie) and I would have to say that both Kenton and Richie have consistently played at a higher level than G (my opinion of course) Thats not to say that G hasn't played to a good standard because he has.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #17
osh said:
Paul, I wouldn't have expected you to have said anything different. However, your post is not very well thought out or worded e.g your quote

If you could point me in the direction of two defence men each year that have, over the entire last two seasons, played at a consistently higher level than G on our blue line I would be interested to see their names.

As you ask, I hope the following keeps you interested!! There have only been 3 players that have actually played on our blue line over the entire last 2 seasons!! ( Adams, K.Smith and Richie) and I would have to say that both Kenton and Richie have consistently played at a higher level than G (my opinion of course) Thats not to say that G hasn't played to a good standard because he has.
*Offers a hair to split*

So. Let's try this:

Can you name me two defencemen in either of the 2010-11 or 2011-12 seasons that have consistently played better than G?

If you take my point about the whole season into account then I don't think you can. I would give you Richie, yes. Weller actually spent very little time as a defenceman in reality. He was more like a sweeper that played wherever he liked and used his speed to get back and defend.

Kenton started last season very well but was then missing and only returned for the playoffs. This season I believe G has again been arguably our best defenceman, all round. Points, goals at crucial times, fights when the team needed it - neither Kenton or Richie has offered that same level of all round consistency, even though I am huge fans of both of them.

As for you not expecting me to say anything else - well I can understand that but I think you are making an assumption rather than a factually based comment.

I do not blindly advocate or promote the club or whoever is in a certain position for the sake of it. However I have a lot of respect for G and having seen him from a professional perspective up close I make my comments from a solid point of reference, not a rose-tinted bandstand.

TheStub

Mixed feelings on this.

G recruits well, but I'm not sure how well he does under pressure.

How many important games have we won with him in charge? We've been to the games. We should have won the playoffs last year, I'd argue a mid season implosion also cost us the league title.

If G can learn to get his team turn up in finals as well as league games he could be a successful coach.

osh

Sorry Paul, no hairs to split, you worded you post badly simple as that
( and then attempt to patronise me by writing ''So. Let's try this'' )

You ask me can I name two defencemen in either the 2010/11 or 2011/12 seasons that have consistently played better than G? I have already have i.e Richie and Kenton! ( and I have taken into account your point about the whole season) I haven't mentioned Weller = you did - as he didn't play for 2 seasons, so why would you bring that into the debate?

Also, I have am certainly not making an assumption rather than a factually based comment. I respect your opinion, but it is your opinion, not mine ( you obviously don't appreciate my opinion, thats clear to see, but I am after all entitled to it)

Your final paragraph, quote.
I do not blindly advocate or promote the club or whoever is in a certain position for the sake of it. However I have a lot of respect for G and having seen him from a professional perspective up close I make my comments from a solid point of reference, not a rose-tinted bandstand.

I've no argument with that at all, you really must get off that high horse of yours now and again and don't make assumptions of others!!