G re-signs, 2 year deal

OMG is text talk and not allowed, apparently.
OSH, it's not rocket science. Is her B/F not a mod?
Move on for goodness sake, you are like a dog with a bone.

voth26

Burgy said:
Well I'm one of the few who is not to happy with this news.

I'm sure I will be shot down by many fans on here but to me G just is not the man to bring back silverware to cardiff.

Granted we came second last year and we have gone to the playoffs but in his time here he only won one trophy with Pattersons team.

It might be a case of no resources but to me he is just not the man to lead us forward
Burgy your entitled to your opinion, out of curiosity who do you think is the man to lead us to silverware and who do you think will come to a club that has as we all know very limited resource, probably one of the smallest budgets in the league, and a home at the moment most people wouldnt go camping in :) but a set of fans that are probably the loudest and most passionate in the eihl..

Pleximan

BeatBox said:
I haven't posted or even read on here for sometime but just couldn't resist after reading this thread.

After the horrible off-season most, if not all of us, stated that we would be just happy to have a team this season, yet we have finished in fourth place and came pretty close to third despite having a lessened budget to that of others.We kept hold of Macrae, K.Smith and Matzka, brought back Ben who's had a great season. Despite this G is not the man to take us forward and is even described as a waste of an import slot. Unreal, just unreal.

And Osh, sorry, but you have hell of a lot to say for someone who doesn't go to games. As you yourself have stated that you won't watch the team while Ragan is the owner. In fact the way you post and direct your dialogue to people I must ask who on earth you think you are?

Pleased to bits about G re-signing. You'd be mad not to be.
Totally totally agree with this!

Last off season we were looking like we were in a bit of trouble again, and would we even be icing a team, it was that bad. But we have made massive progress this season and to finish 4th considering the financial problems that restricted G in the player market and even caused him to lose out on a few players, he has done exceptionally well.....again!

G getting a 2 year contract is fantastic news, and whereas I suspected G's +/- was pretty good, Finny has provided a valuable insight into what it actually is.
I agree with Paul and others on this, G is very consistent, he is a little slower these days and G himself will probably be the first to say that, but he brings other key skills to the table as a player, notably, consistency, leadership and solidity.
If he skates for another season then fine, the year after that I would like to see him revert back to just 'coach'.

Gerad recruits brilliantly(no doubt with excellent help from Francis), and consistently signs good players. I have no doubts that he will sign a top replacement for Voth, another tough player who can play very well, score goals and provide assists.
He will be able to wheel and deal in the transfer market this summer with a lot more freedom and ability than last year, so I am very confident that he will sign a top class team this summer.

If we take a look at Nottingham and their large budget that Corey Neilson enjoys, they are still a million miles away from winning the league. Yes, they have won the playoff trophy and that rightly is seen as the big prize in hockey, but unfortunately in the British game you only have to win 3 games to lift that trophy. This makes it all look a little, ummm.......hollow. Until the playoff format is expanded and improved the 54 game slog of the league campaign makes the league trophy the really big one, and as Paul Ragan is correctly pointed out, if we had an arena we wouldn't be waiting 50 years for a league title.

Back to G, it is great news in my opinion, well done Paul Ragan!

Koop11

Not that many fans think much of what Dave Simms has to say but interesting that in last week’s Elite League show, he said that Gerad Adams should be coach of the year.

ASHIPP

It was obvious Christiansen was going to be awarded Coach of the Year. The consistency of Belfast Giants' performance this season has been amazing.......but if you are given the resources it can be achieved, can't it?

Would love to see how any other coach in this league could perform with limited resources and only 8 imports for most of the season.

On the Elite League Show last week, Simms actually mentioned that weighing everything up, G was probably the best coach in the league. Christiansen himself said the same......those comments are from individuals steeped in the sport. That's good enough for me.

G is also a man of integrity, patience and loyalty. He could have walked away from the problems at this club but chose to stay and help develop it. Those values are respected by his colleagues and his players.

This season has been all about stability (financially and team-wise) and development. The on and off-ice teams are achieving that and the club is moving forward. I really believe most fans would prefer to see this continue lead by the right personnel at the expense of winning something this season.

PR and G never said the season's team were going to win the league - they knew after last Summer's horrendous events that the Club could not compete against the Belfast's and Nottingham's of this world. But they DID say that our team would be competitive and challenging .....the Devils have already reached one semi-final, and finished 4th in the League with only 8 imports. Remarkable achievements anyone's standards. :cool:
Our British players have had a chance to really develop and the Club is slowly getting back on an even keel with sponsorship and preparation for our new home in 2 seasons.

If all that can be done on restricted resources and with an injury-ridden team, imagine what could be possible? G, Neil and the Team have somehow found a way to win games by adapting the style of play and using sheer hard work. You can see the team spirit when they play together.

Well done PR, for pulling off this one. Fantastic news that G (and Neil) are back for more. :cool: