GB

august04 2.0

Definitely not the goalie he was tho!!!
I’m glad you agree with me!
We all know that on his day, he can be brilliant - that’s never been in question and he’s always performed well in games where he’s constantly in the action, particularly when his team is under the kosh (as we’ve seen time and time again when playing at the highest level for GB). It’s his concentration in the “normal” games that has been suspect, particularly in his last season with us. That’s difficult to argue with.

KaneDevils

He will get plenty of offers from higher standard leagues after today's performance, regardless of any concentration issues. He still has age on his side to improve if need be.

Why sour grapes? Just because I have a different opinion to you? That is allowed on a forum![/QUOTE

Say what? I mean to some because he left, not you personally. I'm aware on how a forum works, thanks.

BostonBart22

Thread starter #26
One of the officials on the ice remarked give the goalie a contract. His last season with the devils looked like he just didnt want to be here. Think it was to do with our coaching at the time

Ocko

Amazed that some people still don’t rate Bowns. He got a contract in a better league, was consistently in the top 3 goalies every year he was with us and backstopped us to multiple titles and would’ve done in the final season too.

Lord played with a very, very active D which is never easy for a NM but Bowns was consistent for us for years. To say he isn’t the goalie he was is madness to me when he will almost certainly be in a better league than the EIHL if he isn’t with us, despite import restrictions on him and in his prime years.

Everyone sees things differently, but I guess those who don’t rate Bowns are seeing things very differently to top European and EIHL coaches.

Kevlar68

Its not don't rate Bowns its the inconsistency of play, some games he's on fire, next game it's like he's not there.
You need consistency to win leagues.

Ocko

Its not don't rate Bowns its the inconsistency of play, some games he's on fire, next game it's like he's not there.
You need consistency to win leagues.
Fair enough but I’d be interested to know when you think Bowns inconsistency cost us the league. We ended up 1st in 3 out of 6 seasons and within a fag paper the other seasons, an inconsistent NM doesn’t deliver that.

Amazed that some people still don’t rate Bowns. He got a contract in a better league, was consistently in the top 3 goalies every year he was with us and backstopped us to multiple titles and would’ve done in the final season too.

Lord played with a very, very active D which is never easy for a NM but Bowns was consistent for us for years. To say he isn’t the goalie he was is madness to me when he will almost certainly be in a better league than the EIHL if he isn’t with us, despite import restrictions on him and in his prime years.

Everyone sees things differently, but I guess those who don’t rate Bowns are seeing things very differently to top European and EIHL coaches.
I’d just like to make it clear that my comment was ironic/sarcasm.
Maybe I should have put a little smiley face after it
I do think he was over worked with no clear backup, but also think he possibly wanted it that way.
I’ve noticed Lord doing it to a certain extent in Greenville too tho.

august04 2.0

Has anyone said they don’t rate Bowns in this thread? I’ve said he was superb in the game today! People have just commented on his inconsistency (which as you say hasn’t cost us league titles, perhaps because we’ve been so much better than anyone else generally!). If you watched every game of his last year with us, you wouldn’t be able to question that really. I genuinely hope he gets offered a contract by one of these top European coaches as from his interview this week, it would appear that he still wants to play in Europe, rather than in the U.K. (which I would imagine doesn’t help with any U.K. team’s recruitment either if they wanted to offer him a deal, if he wants to wait to see if better offers are out there from EU).

Last edited:

KaneDevils

Has anyone said they don’t rate Bowns in this thread? I’ve said he was superb in the game today! People have just commented on his inconsistency (which as you say hasn’t cost us league titles, perhaps because we’ve been so much better than anyone else generally!). If you watched every game of his last year with us, you wouldn’t be able to question that really. I genuinely hope he gets offered a contract by one of these top European coaches as from his interview this week, it would appear that he still wants to play in Europe, rather than in the U.K. (which I would imagine doesn’t help with any U.K. team’s recruitment either if they wanted to offer him a deal, if he wants to wait to see if better offers are out there from EU).
During his last season he was a little inconsistent yes. That could be due to a thousand and one things. A move was mooted, he had mixed feelings or apprehension. A falling out with a team mate(s) due to a potential move or something else. An argument with his partner, absolutely anything. It happens with all players, all teams, all sports. Which you'll probably agree with.

What I would refer too, perhaps others too, are comments, perhaps not from you but others, like, "we can do better", "he clearly doesn't want to be here", "he's past his best", "he's not the goalie he was". All comments a little harsh and inaccurate. Form is temporary. We hate to see good players leave but it happens. We should all thank him for his time here and wish him future success. Snarley comments, in my opinion, are totally unwarranted.

august04 2.0

During his last season he was a little inconsistent yes. That could be due to a thousand and one things. A move was mooted, he had mixed feelings or apprehension. A falling out with a team mate(s) due to a potential move or something else. An argument with his partner, absolutely anything. It happens with all players, all teams, all sports. Which you'll probably agree with.

What I would refer too, perhaps others too, are comments, perhaps not from you but others, like, "we can do better", "he clearly doesn't want to be here", "he's past his best", "he's not the goalie he was". All comments a little harsh and inaccurate. Form is temporary. We hate to see good players leave but it happens. We should all thank him for his time here and wish him future success. Snarley comments, in my opinion, are totally unwarranted.
I’ve certainly said “we can do better“ and “he’s not the goalie he was”. And I stand by both comments - that‘s just my opinion of course and others can argue against that, as is their right. Let’s not forget though, it’s not as if he‘s just left us - he decided to move on a year ago, so I’m sure he’s had plenty of thanks and plaudits on here too when that became known (it’s been such a long time, I can’t remember!), and rightly so - he was a key part of our success since the new owners came in. For me though, the time is right for us to move on (and that’s no different to his feelings a year ago), unless he’s willing to share NM duties here. I don’t feel he’s consistent enough to carry the load on his own anymore. Saying that, no NM should at this level nowadays, it’s ludicrous, as others have mentioned also.

Kevlar68

I think one of the comments "we could do better" isn't a bad comment really. There's always someone better that we could make a move for.
If Tyler Beskorowany would come back to EIHL i'd take him over Bowns, that move wouldn't be an impossible one, he was a monster between the pipes.
Now he did win Belfast their title.

Last edited:

KaneDevils

Saying "we can do better" is fair enough although can seem a bit cold. Has anyone said that about Martin leaving. The remark I refer too came in the middle of a mini rant and was unwarranted. Also, one player doesnt win the league. Regardless of how good they are.

Rempel16

I think one of the comments "we could do better" isn't a bad comment really. There's always someone better that we could make a move for.
If Tyler Beskorowany would come back to EIHL i'd take him over Bowns, that move wouldn't be an impossible one, he was a monster between the pipes.
Now he did win Belfast their title.
Funny how we all see things so differently.
I think Beskorawany is massively overhyped and overrated and throughout that season our shot selection against him was so poor. I thought we'd learn from one game to the next but we never seemed to.

Besko was very stand-up in his style, very rigid, We should have worked him out.

Kevlar68

From all the games i've watched of Beskorowany play he didn't do much wrong also i sit in Block 4 right behind the goal and during the warm ups i've seen him in he actually let very few pucks in, i mean not many at all, so i've seen many away netminders warm up and he was by far better than anyone else and Giants won the league with him.
If he wasn't that good and overrated all the other teams in the league must have also had poor shot selection.

Last edited: