GB

ASHIPP

The Boys should be proud of themselves. A terrific team effort especially in p3 when Belarus were coming at them. Fantastic to see so many Welsh guys and Devils'players (past and present) involved in the action.

A really well deserved win.... and some points. The Team is growing in confidence every game.

terry hunt

Looking at our netminder situation.
If Bownsy does not return does the Belarus NM look a possibility.
NHL/KHL/AHL experience born in Plymouth GB dual national for Canada/Belarus.
Maybe Ulmer and Linglet know of him from their KHL time.He seems like a good backup NM in the leagues.He did play for Calgary for a while maybe had a beer or two with Steve King and Co

moggy#9

Quite a reasonable result for GB today, I'd have taken that before the puck dropped. If I had to pick a weaknesses in the GB game though, it'd be their transition. If they could consistently play the puck out they could get really dangerous. Lots of positives, but depending on where they end up playing next season I wonder if we'll have bowns and Kirk to call upon next year.

Ocko

Kirk is turning out to be some player. I almost didn’t want to believe the hype coming from Yorkshire a few years ago, but it appears they really have developed a star (by our standards). This tournament has raised his stock immeasurably, I hope he has the right people around him to get him a good deal somewhere.

Realistically he is unlikely to make the NHL but he has a great future ahead of him in the game which is great for GB.

NathanG

Morning guys. Decent first period there from GB and the Czechs.

Side note. There's a BIH podcast I've started listening to recently. It covers British ice hockey in general. Jarrod Skalde was on there for a few mins this week discussing recruitment etc. Worth a listen. I don't know how to link Spotify so I'll attach a screenshot. I think it's on YouTube too.

*edit* The newest episode isn't on their YouTube channel. Skip to 34 mins 30 seconds to listen to our new head coach.

Attachments

moggy#9

Aside from the difference in skill level, one thing that really stands out comparing GB to their better opponents is the speed of decision making. The Swedes and the Czechs know what they're doing with the puck before they get it. All too often GB aimlessly dump it because they seem to panic. This sort of thing has been evident in the chl too. GB have done well in this tournament, but it's evident where the next steps need to be.

Wannabe2

The lads have played 3 out of the top 5 countries in the world, even team USA aint ranked in that top 5, Czech Republic full of NHL/KHL players, these lads must be totally worn out with little rest time, and continually chasing the game which really wears you out. All you can give is 100% and the lads are certainly doing that, playing superior players can only stand you in good stead. These lads will be all the better when they return home. Stay Safe All.

moggy#9

The lads have played 3 out of the top 5 countries in the world, even team USA aint ranked in that top 5, Czech Republic full of NHL/KHL players, these lads must be totally worn out with little rest time, and continually chasing the game which really wears you out. All you can give is 100% and the lads are certainly doing that, playing superior players can only stand you in good stead. These lads will be all the better when they return home. Stay Safe All.
I can't argue with that. The problem is that our league is so much slower than the top ones. As well as bowns and Kirk we need several other players playing in top leagues every week. This year is a learning exercise. The team have proven that they deserve to be at this level, but next year the pressure will be on with relegation back.

RedDevil17

Considering ice hockey is a minority sport in the UK, I wouldn’t say we’ve done too bad added to the fact the Czech’s have both Filip Zadina (Detroit Red Wings) and Jakub Vrana (Washington Capitals) on their team…oh and Sweden have Mario Kempe (played for Arizona Coyotes!)

Last edited: