Giants v Devils - 08/02 @ 19:00 - CC SF 2nd Leg - Chat/Updates

Gazza272

Unfortunately I think you are wrong and that is precisely why DOPS is here. Hotham's slash caused an injury whether there was intent or not. I think it will be upgraded to a least a match, hopefully nothing more.
You can't ban a guy for trying to go in for a puck battle though?

bdevil

Unfortunately I think you are wrong and that is precisely why DOPS is here. Hotham's slash caused an injury whether there was intent or not. I think it will be upgraded to a least a match, hopefully nothing more.
But you could argue an accidental high stick causes injury when blood is drawn, that gets an automatic 2+2, nothing more. A legal hit can cause injury, does that mean that should get a ban? Admittedly this is a little different from a legal hit as slashing is against the rules however a slash which causes injury shouldn't be treated as severely as a checking to the head and some of those only get 2+10.

august04

I'm assuming it's because there was injury on the play? Was it a dislocated finger? These things happen I'm afraid. I hate seeing such petty reporting to DOPS but nothing would surprise me with this league. We've had what seemed to be a concerted effort by the other big clubs to criticise refereeing in Cardiff which apparently was giving us an advantage at home pre Christmas. Since then, we've had some shocking displays by Smith in particular at IAW. Coincidence, who knows? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they concocted a ban out of this which would make it a hell of a lot more difficult for us tomorrow.

august04

Panthers are probably hoping for a Match Penalty as the slash caused an injury. We've all seen nasty 2 handed slashing incidents where sticks have broken etc but this isn't one of them for me. No penalty called on the night so the ref didn't deem it to be that bad. If a slash, he hits Dinman on the glove. Under normal circumstances that wouldn't cause injury but catch him at a funny angle, with modern gloves and you can get an injury like a dislocation. That's just unfortunate but in no way a match penalty for me. I bet Hotham still gets that punishment though!

Devil_Abroad

So under rule 159 DOPS could give a Major and Game, or Match for this one. Hopefully just the Game and it's on his record.

Rule 159 iii

'A player who injures or recklessly endangers an opponent by slashing will be assessed a major penalty and game-misconduct penalty or a match penalty.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Wow - very harsh. Giants will be laughing.
Devils can only do their best. They will deal with it.Alternative game plan and battle with belief till the end.
The Devils are still in with a chance. The odds are reduced,yes. Down but not out.

Best of luck to the Boys.

kettdevil1

Hmmmm it is disappointing but reversing things, if Hoth's finger had been broken with a slash, would we be calling it as a 2 minute penalty?

august04

Hmmmm it is disappointing but reversing things, if Hoth's finger had been broken with a slash, would we be calling it as a 2 minute penalty?
Genuinely, yes. It was a minor incident with an unfortunate injury. I see far worse slashes every game that are not called as minor penalties even, as was the case on the night with this one.

kettdevil1

Fair enough. Have to admit, I missed it in the excitement of Saturday and only noticed the commotion when a Panthers fan replied to a post.... as soon as it was confirmed there was an injury then a suspension looked inevitable.

We have had a few this season that have gone our way (the Bordy and Hicks incident comes to mind) so probably time for one to go against us.

E.D.S.

Doesn't it screw the Giants game plan up now if Hotham isn't there to be targeted??
Hotham is a huge loss but watch the other players step up.
Remember when Ronaldo was out injured in the Euro final (just trying to reach out to Electro and his use of football analogies) they stepped up and gave a more compete performance. I think our guys will do the same. We have some real leaders and some serious hockey players in that team of ours.
Crack on boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

It may also aide us in the fact that other players will have to step up. Too often players look to Hotham to drag a game back or to take the initiative. Lord's just as guilty, Hotham is constantly out there we rely on him way too much.

He's the best D man in the league without doubt, so he is a huge loss. But, I can see some other players stepping up. Which in the long run can only be a good thing to instill a bit of extra belief.

Gazza272

Doesn't it screw the Giants game plan up now if Hotham isn't there to be targeted??
Hotham is a huge loss but watch the other players step up.
Remember when Ronaldo was out injured in the Euro final (just trying to reach out to Electro and his use of football analogies) they stepped up and gave a more compete performance. I think our guys will do the same. We have some real leaders and some serious hockey players in that team of ours.
Crack on boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We certainly cannot afford to have a victim mentality about this. We still have more than enough in our team to overcome this tonight, let's get Andrew to the final!

ASHIPP

Mo injured, the Hoth serving a ban, going to Belfast 1 goal down. Seems like hockey gods and anyone outside Cardiff don't want Devils to have any success.

Hope the Devils play really angry and with hatred tonight. Hopefully that will spur them on to be clinical and ruthless.

Giants have shown nothing but disrespect to the Devils' team and
fans. They have got away with it for too long.

Starting in Belfast tonight, it's time for our Guys to show why they are top....and deserve to be there.