Giants v Devils - Wed 16th @ 19:00 - Chat/Updates

august04

It was always going to be difficult tonight given the Giants deserved more at IAW for me and in truth, they were the better team. It was a disappointing performance from the Devils for me, with too many giveaways yet again - one from Hotham led to the Giants second goal when he failed to clear the defensive zone. How often has that happened this year? And I thought we lacked any real intensity until it was too late - unbelievable given what was at stake. We just seem to lack that spark. This Devils team just isn't nasty enough I'm afraid. Oh well, come on Nottingham!

backrow

The Belfast 2nd goal was probably the turning point. Hotham had full possession of the puck and flipped it nonchalantly out to the blueline where it was kept in, leading to the goal.
After Belfast scored on a power play to make it 3-1 there was a play where Hudson, I think was obviously tripped and the Belfast player took the puck and came close to scoring. Hudson went right to Darnell after the play. I couldn't believe there was no call by Darnell. Later in the 3rd with the score still 3-1, the penalty call on Fournier was an absolute joke and their subsequent power play goal really put the game out of reach. When the Devils pulled the goalie and scored it only made the score 4-2 not the 3-2 score it should have been with a very exciting finish to play.
It is hard to believe that Darnell could be considered the league's best referee by some fans!

jimmy snels

Im really questioning the "gonnads" of this team to be honest. They've basically avoided any kind of physical altercation since marsh got hurt and rolled over and had their belly's tickled on a regular basis away from home. If i was an opposing fan looking in id say we'd bottled it. I'll say more when I've calmed down but that was a shameful way to play in a devils jersey.

ASHIPP

A great shame but a game too far. Lordo alluded to bumps and bruises after last weekend. And injuries are to be expected at this stage. No suprise there was a dip in intensity...but it does.'t mean they are not 'nasty' enough. Injuries and fatigue can affect consistency.

The Giants were also motivated and angry enough from last weekend to win this game, in front of their home crowd particularly as it was such a key game for the Devils.

Whatever happens with the league, to be second in the league, have reached a cup final and won the conference title are still achievements most other teams would swap places for.

bb1

It's a real shame and even though it's not over yet we look completely gassed and out of ideas. We have no reason to be tired as we have had a spare all season, great travel yet tired legs seem to be the case.
Over the past month we couldn't have played any worse yet in games this season we have looked unplayable. No idea as to why this slump has hit now but it is has been heart breaking to watch.
We have been letting teams play and skate to much with little pressure. When you watch the likes of Janssen, Keefe, Boxill, Lloyd, Bruton and Faryna they don't let our D breathe. They are the heartbeat of their teams. Our only forward that has done this all year is Hervato (he's been outstanding). In my opinion this has been why we have lost so many as of late. Bownes has been superb and has stopped us losing by more goals. We can't sit back and let teams play and unfortunately we have.
Fingers crossed the Panthers and Flyers can do us a favour because our team this season (minus last month) deserves something out of this.

Finny

jimmy snels said:
Im really questioning the "gonnads" of this team to be honest. They've basically avoided any kind of physical altercation since marsh got hurt and rolled over and had their belly's tickled on a regular basis away from home. If i was an opposing fan looking in id say we'd bottled it. I'll say more when I've calmed down but that was a shameful way to play in a devils jersey.
Did we bottle it Saturday and Sunday too?

august04

ASHIPP said:
A great shame but a game too far. Lordo alluded to bumps and bruises after last weekend. And injuries are to be expected at this stage. No suprise there was a dip in intensity...but it does.'t mean they are not 'nasty' enough. Injuries and fatigue can affect consistency.

The Giants were also motivated and angry enough from last weekend to win this game, in front of their home crowd particularly as it was such a key game for the Devils.

Whatever happens with the league, to be second in the league, have reached a cup final and won the conference title are still achievements most other teams would swap places for.
A game too far?! Everybody has bumps and bruises at this stage of the season, you have to get on with it. Let's stop making excuses - I'm sure Lord won't be making any. This team isn't nasty enough. That's clear to me - we don't have a physical threat and have been outmuscled and outfought in too many games this year. I can't stand Keefe and Lloyd but those two (and the likes of Janssen) are exactly what the Devils are missing this year. They're a constant physical threat and play with an edge. We don't. I hope that is addressed in the off season. Saying all that, we're still in with an outside chance.

This was always going to be the trickiest of our last three games. We still have a chance so let's not give up hope. Nottingham can still do us a favour by beating Sheffield as they have done so before.

There is no right to win in this league as results have shown in the last few weeks. This is a great team that can still win the league title. It'll be a tricky weekend for the devils and steelers. I'm thinking that some of the posters on here should maybe turn up next week at the iaw With their skates if they feel hendo salters and the rest arent tough enough to get it done.

jimmy snels

Finny: We were 2nd best sunday no doubt. I personally think we've lost something, motivation, attitude, intensity?! Not sure what it is but what made us top was hard work, physical play and sticking up for your team mates. To much fannying about and to many lions playing like flamingos! Im devastated how we've gone, it was ours to lose... and we might very well have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I notice again you offer no actual opinion on anything, care to tell us your thoughts or just talk about mine (AGAIN :roll: )

ASHIPP said:

We still need a further 2 points to guarantee this. You have to assume that Braehead will beat Edinburgh home and away on the weekend to reach 67 points. If we fail to do this we will finish 3rd in the league and end up being seeded 3rd for the playoffs as well. Braehead will be seeded 2nd as they will be their conference winners and finish higher in the league table than us.
A win at Manchester on Saturday is a must to ease the pressure on Sunday's game.
Hopefully a win then as well.

ASHIPP

That's sport for you! Heroes as the weekend to zero three days later.

There were defensive errors and lapses in concentration tonight that affected the scoreline.
. But if you are playing with an injury you are not going to play with intensity. Anyone who has suffered an injury in a fast contact sport will drop their intensity to avoid agrivating the injury further.

Devils couldn't play their spare player because he's carrying a recurring injury. Funny no-one was complaining about our team's lack of intensity and nastiness when the Devils were top
of the league.

Johnnybravo1927

We are still in it. Squeelers have to win both their games as well. Everyone talking like its over, 2 months back Braehead had it sown up, steelers were mid table and Coventry couldnt buy a win. Loads to play for. Anyone hear Nickersons comments tonight? Gives me another reason to not like him.

jimmy snels

Johnnybravo1927 said:
We are still in it. Squeelers have to win both their games as well. Everyone talking like its over, 2 months back Braehead had it sown up, steelers were mid table and Coventry couldnt buy a win. Loads to play for. Anyone hear Nickersons comments tonight? Gives me another reason to not like him.
Whats been said?

jimmy snels

ASHIPP said:
That's sport for you! Heroes as the weekend to zero three days later.

There were defensive errors and lapses in concentration tonight that affected the scoreline.
. But if you are playing with an injury you are not going to play with intensity. Anyone who has suffered an injury in a fast contact sport will drop their intensity to avoid agrivating the injury further.

Devils couldn't play their spare player because he's carrying a recurring injury. Funny no-one was complaining about our team's lack of intensity and nastiness when the Devils were top
of the league.
We played with much more intensity and physically to get top! But in reality people were complaining (not me to be fair) that certain players weren't showing up much of the season. The belfast commentors actually mentioned a few players whos physical play had diminished.

Praise has readily been given to the team this year. Tonight they deserve flak, that was really really poor

Johnnybravo1927

He was very vocal about not liking us and refered to us on twitter as clowns. I thought he made himself look foolish on sunday when he blatantly went after Hendo and didnt win. Overated as a player and as a person