Hockeyfest - Live on UKHL

I think i could really like this if it was played at the beginning of the season, you would get a chance to see the new players in all teams , and i am sure they would get big crowds then

TheStub

I think the score flatters the Steelers slightly, with the last two coming with us pushing hard to get back into it.

Our passing was a bit too hit and miss, and the Steelers were able to exploit this far too much. We turned ourselves over more than they did.

We also overplayed far too much, pass or shoot!

TheStub

Have to be honest, I've bailed before the final :lol:

That last hour gap with naff all to do was a stop too far. Hopefully next year there will be more organised to do. Preseason this will be a great event, today did feel a little "mickey mouse", with the teams all seemingly holding back.

I would have liked to have won it, but I'm not gutted that we didn't.

Maybe over two days, with meet and greets/Qa panel type sessions with the team - prior to the start of the season - and I would have been more impressed. Today just dragged a little at the end - and there felt like there was nothing to do.

That aside, there was lots of hockey - and it would be a great way to see how all the teams measure up against each other before we start in competition proper.

What a surprise, Sheffield have the best recovery time for the tournament. First to play with the longest rest. Also their oponents have the least time (whether it was Blaze or Panthers), tell me the tournament is not fixed.

Finny

bubbles said:
What a surprise, Sheffield have the best recovery time for the tournament. First to play with the longest rest. Also their oponents have the least time (whether it was Blaze or Panthers), tell me the tournament is not fixed.
The draw was made live on internet Tv and radio, and Sheffield came out first - hence the route to the final.
No complaint from me, and I don't think it is fair to call it derogotary names either. We wanted to win it, but it wasn't to be.
The Challenge Cup was called all daft names at first when Sheffield won it, and look how important it is to us now.

Ok it's not going to be the most important trophy in the season, but next year I will want us to win it again.

Congratulations Sheffield.

bubbles said:
Oh for gods sake give it a rest i am so fed up of these conspiracy theories Steelers won get over it. Lets hope its the only thing they win this season,

Wannabe2

Kipper said:
Bottom line is that it is a mickey mouse 4 on 4 tournament and counts for nowt. 2 points last night is what counts
Well i am with you Kips, it is Mickey Mouse, and the Panthers probably couldnt give a toss about it either. We are a team who do well when we are in a physical battle, and one thing we dont want to do with our experience is to pick up stupid injuries for no reason. Win this thing or two league points-no contest, we did our thing last night, and long may it continue.

Chris

Administrator
Did we find out why the coverage just ended after the Giants went out?

I thought UKHL were aiming to cover everything?

Chris.

Well ok , this tournament wasn't perfect, but I saw lots of positives and agree that it would be great as part of a weekend at the start of the season.
I must admit I did get into it after a slow start and I wanted to win it too, so I was very disapointed with the Devils.....we were pretty bad to be honest! but Sheffield and Coventry were pretty good, they were playing good 4 on 4 Hockey and they bith set out to win it. It was also good to see teams like Capitals that I hadn't caught up with yet and to run into Burgy, who was over for a few days and Petricko.

Oh and I saw absolutely no conspiracies, the only issues were the Sheffield Goalie situation and the fact that Panthers were not taking it seriously and embarrassed themselves and the fans.

I hope they stick with this idea and build on it, its far from perfect and needs lots of diferent ideas to make it more worth while, but as far as the hockey was concerned, on the whole I was pleasently suprised.

i wouldnt want to see it being put over two days, it increases the cost a vast amount because you then need to look at staying in a hotel and for fans that don't really have that money to spend on watching a sport it (like myself) it makes it unfeasible. I'd say the current set up works aslong as they find something to fill the gap between semi final and final.

dmd said:
bubbles said:
Oh for gods sake give it a rest i am so fed up of these conspiracy theories Steelers won get over it. Lets hope its the only thing they win this season,

Ok the draw was completely fair, however the week running upto the tournament has to be questioned.

Wed 30th Sept Cardiff v Nottingham
Friday 2nd October Belfast v Newcastle
Saturday 3rd Everybody plays, (strangely enough Sheffields game is switched from playing in Cardiff to now being played in Sheffield. And I musn't forget that the Firday 2nd game between Steelers and Devils is cancelled.) If I have these facts wrong I apologise.

Therefore Steelers get no games in the week and a home game Saturday. Very strange. Really interesetd to know why the Steelers didn't play twice in the week as our rink was available Friday and Saturday. Although the draw was fair we all know that fixtures can be arranged to suit. Let's not forget the end of last season.

I think the league did an excellent job arranging the fixtures on the Saturday. Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Hull having the home fixtures meant all 8 teams were in close proximity for an early start on the Sunday. All teams were a maximum of an hour and a half away. Now if you'd have had Sheffield vs Hull, Belfast vs Nottingham, Edinburgh vs Coventry and Cardiff vs Newcastle on the Saturday I could see how people would be annoyed and the conspiracy theorists doing the rounds.

As for the Friday game that never was...surely that was a good thing? You'd have had to travel up to Sheffield twice in 3 days which would have been ridiculous. You'd have been a lot more knackered than us and probably more likely to have gone out in the first game...

For once the league (oops I mean us :roll: ) have organised it all very well. Credit where credit is due for this one. Plus it only seems as though Panthers fans had a rubbish day. I wonder why! Most others seem to think the hockey was excellent.

I hope, and expect, that Dan Green has a smile the size of Yorkshire today! :mrgreen:

Thread starter #80
Chris said:
Did we find out why the coverage just ended after the Giants went out?

I thought UKHL were aiming to cover everything?

Chris.
Chris, they had some technical difficulties with internet access at the arena. They were told there was wifi for updating but it kept disappearing and then went altogether. They managed to upload voice interviews from the media room but had to stop the blog and updates.