Hull Stingrays vs Cardiff Devils - Sat 5:30pm - Chat/Updates

TheStub

Dai Vader said:
Obviously a dissapointing start to the season one win from three games, but lets be honest they have so far all been away and the way the league is this year being so tight and all, i still think the other teams are going to lose games aswell, it's a bit early to be pushing the panic button just yet surely???
I agree totally Dai.

We are into the second weekend of the season...and haven't had our bums handed to us yet. We looked the better team tonight, and just couldn't find a way to score. Hull are not the Hull of previous years, and will be winning some games.

I wouldn't rule anyone out of this league yet. If Hull have upskilled like this, we are in for an exciting year. I don't think anyone will be running away with anything.

More ice time, and the Devils will really be a force to deal with.

TheStub

Just had a text off Chris, and he said something very true

Our defence was very leaky tonight and Lyle had some big saves, thanks to him it wasn't more than 4
We seemed poor at clearing the puck, and passing within the zone was sloppy. Hopefully we can tighten up.

I was quite impressed with Lyle myself. I hadn't expected too much from him, but he looked solid. Perhaps his rebounds let him down, but he plays with a more stand up style (which I like) - and was not scared to not go down, which saved us a few times.

Yes - shocker - I am not a fan of 100% butterfly keepers.

Disapointed at reading back thru Mnl Highlights, I went to the enl game and watched the boys spank MK 13-1 good news is the sound was spot on and looking forward vto the game tomorrow....

sniper13 said:
Until the players are held responsible for fitness levels through the summer and we have some kind of pre-season training schedule we will never challenge. Sheffield as a team were training weeks before us and the players were in the gym before that, the only players i saw in the gym working hard this summer were G and Phil. I think the imports see this as an easy gig just show up and play. Also its not just fitness what with the visa problems and the PI ice issue's its a farce. Dont flame me just my opinion.
I wasn't at the game tonight so can't really comment. i do agree with the above comment though to an extent. Ive seen the Brits in the gym working hard over the summer, I've seen Hartwick and co. practising on the ice with the rec teams and see Phil Hill in the gym for a few hours almost every time i go down to David Lloyds (he's going to start thinking im stalking him. lol)

I do get the impression that certain imports do seem to take their place on the team for granted a bit and not put in the same kind of effort off the ice as others do. I'm not naming any names, just the general impression i get. It's something ive always thought but not voiced before as i have nothing but hearsay to go on but seeing as someone else has said it, i thought i'd echo their comments :D

If it is true then its something I think needs to be put right for the future... They should have to work for their place on the team not just turn up to the games and think they're god gifts.

If its not true then please ignore my comments :lol:

Kipper

I'll reserve my judgement until I've had more of a chance to see the team play AND the team has had a chance to practice together. They had an hour's ice Thursday afternoon and then on Friday morning. That is all the practice they have had as a team.Can anyone expect them to gel quickly with that little preparation?

Kipper said:
I'll reserve my judgement until I've had more of a chance to see the team play AND the team has had a chance to practice together. They had an hour's ice Thursday afternoon and then on Friday morning. That is all the practice they have had as a team.Can anyone expect them to gel quickly with that little preparation?
NO but that is the Clubs problem and solely down to them, which is unfortunate to say the least we as fans pay our money in advance for season tickets etc.... but the club has to get it right pre season or we will be behind the 8 ball from the start as is the case right now.

Kipper

the placid casual said:
NO but that is the Clubs problem and solely down to them, which is unfortunate to say the least we as fans pay our money in advance for season tickets etc.... but the club has to get it right pre season or we will be behind the 8 ball from the start as is the case right now.
I agree entirely with that. The point I am making is that it is unfair to pillory the coach and players at this stage of the season when they haven't been allowed proper pre-season preparation. All the coach and players should have to do is turn up on the ice to train and play. It is up to the off-ice organisation to ensure that everything else is in place in good time to allow the team every chance to succeed.

Kipper said:
the placid casual said:
It is up to the off-ice organisation to ensure that everything else is in place in good time to allow the team every chance to succeed.
This is the only area that I feel the off-ice team has let the side down. The marketing, PR and player recruitment over the summer has been great. However, it seems that some of the basics have been overlooked such as hiring sufficient ice time, organising enough friendlies and the sorting out of visas on time. Unfortunately, it is the latter that has a direct impact on on-ice performances.

TheStub

Leaving the visa issues aside, I can sympathise with the problems with finding ice.

The limited facilities in Cardiff and the local area means when the tent isn't available we are faced with hours in travel just to practice. Maybe we could have managed it all better, but it simply demonstrates to me how little we mean to Planet Ice.

To me, we suffered more through lack of practice than fitness. Once we gel I think lots of the issues will disappear. I just hope the M line clicks soon, I think they were -3 last night.

Micheal is going to be a fans favorite though. What a third line we have!!

Hi there this is my take on last nights game having been there but being a steelers fan so kind of an unbiased slant.

First Period Hull were slow to start there defence was missing and Cardiff made the best of that i heard from a hull fan that a good lot of the team had been sick with some stomach bug so that may have contributed to the sluggish start - from the 2nd period there was a very very different side and i think it took Cardiff by suprise. As much as cardiff outshot them i dont think they outplayed Hull - a lot of the shots were straight at the goalie from the blue line and not created from traffic in front of net... to me wasted shots from maybe some of your guys that should have passed it rather than thinking it was going to go in way back there.

Hull worked hard for every puck and when Cardiff took possession it seemed easy for hull to get it back. It could really have went either way I wouldnt say one of the other was the best or worst team just a good comeback from Hull and I dont think any team this year can take them lightly - their goalie made some very good saves I was impressed more than i expected with them. They will cause a few upsets a long the way for sure. It was a loss against an equally decent team so cant take much from that and it could go either way tonight for yous.

Cheers

Mitch the Steeler

TheStub

Quite right mate.

I think anyone can loose to Hull this season. By that, I think that Hull are going to be up there with everyone else this year. There will be no bad team, and therefore the whole season will be important.

Devils need to start pushing a bit more, but I am not overly concerned about these results - as I think everyone will struggle to take points from Hull, Vipers and (hopefully looking at the roster) Capitals.

The top 4 are dead! Welcome to a competition :D

samidevils said:
reading somewhere - programme or icwales? Smith said he hadn't skated all off season, and I was surprised, but assumed this was normal.

quote]

It is quite normal for most guys to have very little if any skating through the summer. It is the players job to keep fit through the summer whether in the gym or any other exercise, and the clubs job to provide ample pre season training/games to get rid off the "summer legs" and be ready for competitive play when the first puck drops. How the club have failed to do this AGAIN this year is beyond me.
As soon as I heard the players wouldn't even all be here by the first game, my first thought was bang goes the title. Call it pessimism or whatever you will, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that a better prepared team will do better than one which has just been thrown together.
I would love the team to prove me wrong.

as someone posted up there ^^^ the notion of a big 4 is dead. the so called big teams are all dropping points at the start of the season and while i think the so called big 4 will "click" come the home straight in the later part of the season, these early season set backs could be costly.

i think and hope this will be the closest season of EIHL.