Hull Stingrays vs Cardiff Devils - Sat 5:30pm - Chat/Updates

reading somewhere - programme or icwales? Smith said he hadn't skated all off season, and I was surprised, but assumed this was normal.

Wasn't at game, however very disappointed. 3 injurys 3 games into the season....... not looking good is it really....Went to newcastle and was disappointed with the 1st line. Hopefully won't be long before they "gel"

However, well done Hull and Kalmikov for his 3 goals. At least Hull games won't be a borefest this year.

Its very early on, so lets hope for with 1st line to sort itself out, PK and PP to "work" and defence to defend :lol:

Gazza272 said:
I dont really know what folk were expecting results wise this early on. We havent been blown out yet and we have yet to play at home.

I dont think the criticism should lay at the teams results so far this year, they should lay more in the preperation. Two training sessions on ice is never going to be good to get your systems going and it looks like that is leading to leaking goals

We do need 2 points tomorrow to kick start us, and after that we should have no excuses when we have had a good week of preperation.

But for now i'm not to concerned, its been three games, where we have been there or there abouts, Also from text from folk who were actually there Lyle kept us in the game tongiht rather than lose it for us.

3 games do not a season make.
It does if you want to be a title contender ;)

IMO Gaz, the league is going to be sooooo close this year that it may come down to these odd points, winning in regulation rather than OT,

"what do points make....." :lol:

Gazza272

the placid casual said:
[qu
It does if you want to be a title contender ;)

I'll say what i said last week, i'll be very suprised if any other team win ALL their games in Hull this season.

If we lose the other three there then i will be dissapointed but after only 3 games it would be ludicrous to suggest we are out of anything.

Coventry are currently losing 1-0 to Nottingham if they lose tongiht they would have lost 2 in a row against the Panthers, but i would assume everyone would expect Coventry to still challenge for honours this season.

I don't want to pass judgement now as I have yet to see the new team play. That said however the results so far have been a bit alarming - 2 defeats (and one non-regulation win) against traditionally poor teams. One thing that is most alarming is the number of goals we seem to be conceading.

Didn't Steelers last season only have 2 regulation time losses after something like the first 45 league games? We already have 2 in the first 3!

I know Vipers and Stingrays look much improved on last season, but I think most people are still predicting them to be bottom half teams, so losses to them really isn't good. I'm not saying it's all over after 3 games, but we really need to sort ourselves out before next weekend as it could be embarrasing against Steelers - and no one wants to see that. Hopefully G will kick them into gear and we'll see a big improvement tomorrow.

OMG - just noticed that after tomorrow, 6 out of the next 7 fixtures are against last years top 4 - oh well - it's almost impossible for our record to be any worse than last season against them!?

Our D in Newcastle was very poor at times.

We we caught more times than I remember on the break. And reading the updates V Hull tonight looks like we we caught 2/3 times (that I can remember), being saved by the post or Lyle....

I'm not Lyle's biggest fan, however the newcastle game last week i watched, Lyle maybe could have had one of the 3 goals?? And during the penalty shots he did well.

Franny also said that all weekend only 1 of the goals he had a chance with as all others were from behind the net?

I think the old saying that 'you can't win a title in the first month, but you can lose it' is probably about right. Not that I think we're at that stage yet.

TBH these results are probably a fair reflection of where the team is at. If anything, it's competing more than it probably should be given the preparation time.

We don't have the systems in place yet that the team can count on to get us through difficult periods, which is probably why we seem short on ideas and clinical passing for spells in the game. (I think we've let 2 quick goals 4 times in 3 league matches so far)

I'm sure these quick goals are down to a lack of defensive cohesiveness rather than goaltending.

Unfortunately, the lack of training probably means the team won't hit its straps until late in September, while the other teams are ahead of us.

Probably the most disappointing thing for me is that it seems from reports that we were out-muscled as we were in Coventry. We may not have the slick plays, and set systems in place to rely on, but we could be setting our marker as a tough team to play against early on.

It's frustrating we've suffered 3 injuries in a handful of games ( the latest to our star player) and perhaps we should be responding with some physicality.

I certainly wouldn't be questioning the players at this stage. It's a talented group that needs to get on the ice together, work hard, and have some fun in training.

We could just do with a few lucky wins to boost confidence early on.

samidevils said:
reading somewhere - programme or icwales? Smith said he hadn't skated all off season, and I was surprised, but assumed this was normal.

Wasn't at game, however very disappointed. 3 injurys 3 games into the season....... not looking good is it really....Went to newcastle and was disappointed with the 1st line. Hopefully won't be long before they "gel"

However, well done Hull and Kalmikov for his 3 goals. At least Hull games won't be a borefest this year.

Its very early on, so lets hope for with 1st line to sort itself out, PK and PP to "work" and defence to defend :lol:
I remember reading that but can't remember where, I was very suprised, you'd think they would skate in the off season, I think a few of the other players were, hartwick, G, Prps even when he was not going to play for us, dunno just find it weird that you wouldn't skate all off season, you're bound to lose stamina unless doing some sort of other training, but still wouldn't substitute for skating i wouldnt' have thought....

Slightly dissapointed loosing tonight after being 2 goals up, but Hull are not going to be pushover this year. G has got to address the same problems we had last year, winning faceoffs and scoring on powerplays. I'm still confident we will do well this season, so roll on tomorrow and lets start with a win in the cup.

samidevils said:
According to a Hull fan on THF, Smith looks like he has a dislocated shoulder and may be out for some time. :cry:
Great!!!!! that's 3 months including rehab, unless of course he has done it before then it could take longer range of motion in the shoulder is one of the most difficult injurys to deal with. Anyone got denisets number??

august04

samidevils said:
According to a Hull fan on THF, Smith looks like he has a dislocated shoulder and may be out for some time. :cry:
That's why a decent pre-season is so important. It helps your body get ready for the bumps and bruises when the real stuff starts. Our players have been thrown straight into the deep end, and they're clearly not prepared for it. We may have paid a dear price for that inadequate preparation if our top man is out for a lengthy period after tonight.

TheStub

It always makes me laugh, reading the speculation about how the Devils get one when they play in Hull.

Hands up if you were one of the other 7 Devils fans who were sat with me ;)

Anyway - my take on this evening. Came out strong, and looked good. Passing was a concern, and Hull seemed able to break up the plays a bit too easy. Also, we were giving far too much room at the back, and seemed slow to clear the zone.

That said, how dirty were Hull playing. I need someone to really do some damage to Knight, and Cloutier was doing some interesting things off the play. Same old story, sly stick here, tap on the knee there and the Devils called for retaliating.

There always seemed to be a Hull stick just poking or pushing at the wrong time. The worst part was the Devils looked scared to hit anything, presumably for fear of getting the penalty.

That said, the Hull team this season are in a different league (figuratively). Fast, flowing, passing hockey. Always looked dangerous on the transition, and then putting a sly stick on our guys to push us off our game.

I think if we hit them hard from the outset tomorrow, and then own them on our pad, we can take it too them. When we were attacking, we looked the better team - and generally looked dangerous. Some very good saves from their nettie.

Lyle performed well, and I'm not sure there was much he could have done about any of their goals. Some interesting rebounds, but I was more concerned with the way the defence played in front of him. The second goal should have been cleared - it was between a Devils skates, who seemed oblivious.

Not sure where we are with Smith. He took a nasty hit (nothing called) towards the end of the second. After the handbags, he walked around holding his side or shoulder. After the period break, he was seen with it all strapped up and covered in ice. Hopefully it isn't an actual dislocation, and he will be back soon.

Positives? Well, preparation is what we need - we are competitive having played more games than practices. I can see the potential for this team to really come to life. The Brits all performed really well, and even without Smith, we were still playing full three line hockey - and looking dangerous.

I still feel positive. I don't think there will be a 'top 4' this year, in the same way as previous years. Hull look more than capable, Vipers sound like they have put together a competitive side - this season could go to the wire.

Sorry for the Match Night Live glitches. We made some changes to try and fix the server load issues. I am guessing that people were having trouble after manually refreshing the page. Looks like there are some setting that require tweaking. I'm running MNL tomorrow, so should be able to see the problems for myself - and hopefully mitigate issues before they become a problem. At least the server didn't crash though?!?! ;)

TheStub said:
It always makes me laugh, reading the speculation about how the Devils get one when they play in Hull.

Hands up if you were one of the other 7 Devils fans who were sat with me ;)

Anyway - my take on this evening. Came out strong, and looked good. Passing was a concern, and Hull seemed able to break up the plays a bit too easy. Also, we were giving far too much room at the back, and seemed slow to clear the zone.

That said, how dirty were Hull playing. I need someone to really do some damage to Knight, and Cloutier was doing some interesting things off the play. Same old story, sly stick here, tap on the knee there and the Devils called for retaliating.

There always seemed to be a Hull stick just poking or pushing at the wrong time. The worst part was the Devils looked scared to hit anything, presumably for fear of getting the penalty.

That said, the Hull team this season are in a different league (figuratively). Fast, flowing, passing hockey. Always looked dangerous on the transition, and then putting a sly stick on our guys to push us off our game.

I think if we hit them hard from the outset tomorrow, and then own them on our pad, we can take it too them. When we were attacking, we looked the better team - and generally looked dangerous. Some very good saves from their nettie.

Lyle performed well, and I'm not sure there was much he could have done about any of their goals. Some interesting rebounds, but I was more concerned with the way the defence played in front of him. The second goal should have been cleared - it was between a Devils skates, who seemed oblivious.

Not sure where we are with Smith. He took a nasty hit (nothing called) towards the end of the second. After the handbags, he walked around holding his side or shoulder. After the period break, he was seen with it all strapped up and covered in ice. Hopefully it isn't an actual dislocation, and he will be back soon.

Positives? Well, preparation is what we need - we are competitive having played more games than practices. I can see the potential for this team to really come to life. The Brits all performed really well, and even without Smith, we were still playing full three line hockey - and looking dangerous.

I still feel positive. I don't think there will be a 'top 4' this year, in the same way as previous years. Hull look more than capable, Vipers sound like they have put together a competitive side - this season could go to the wire.

Sorry for the Match Night Live glitches. We made some changes to try and fix the server load issues. I am guessing that people were having trouble after manually refreshing the page. Looks like there are some setting that require tweaking. I'm running MNL tomorrow, so should be able to see the problems for myself - and hopefully mitigate issues before they become a problem. At least the server didn't crash though?!?! ;)
Thanks for the report....its good to read something positive ,rather than the ''doom and gloom'' merchants start casting their evil doominess so early into the season :)

TheStub

Jumping back to the Smith injury. I have been discussing with some of the others who were there.

Me and Clare (the worse half) remember him holding his chest under his arm pit. He was also seem moving the arm with an ice pack in the arm pit.

Not sure what that adds up to?

Obviously a dissapointing start to the season one win from three games, but lets be honest they have so far all been away and the way the league is this year being so tight and all, i still think the other teams are going to lose games aswell, it's a bit early to be pushing the panic button just yet surely???

TheStub said:
Jumping back to the Smith injury. I have been discussing with some of the others who were there.

Me and Clare (the worse half) remember him holding his chest under his arm pit. He was also seem moving the arm with an ice pack in the arm pit.

Not sure what that adds up to?
Ribs?? Probably even worse than shoulder? :lol: