Hypocrisy

BostonBart22

Looking at this hit and Tansley on barrow Tansley got away with it big time..all because the eihl don't recognise pre season games enough to warrant dops, couldn't make it up..

kettdevil1

I would hope that the elite league would impose hefty bans for any similar occurrence, but I doubt it.
I think the difference is that the EIHA is largely amateur, hence players have jobs outside hockey and so the consequences of being injured are financial for the individual player. So we saw multiple bans of 12 and even 20 games (which is a significant chunk of the season) given out by the EIHA

Players in the EIHL are almost all professional and so whilst I am definitely not condoning hits such as the Billingham one, there is no way it would get 12 games - more likely 5 maximum.

Whilst DOPS is frustratingly inconsistent, I would not like to go down the EIHA disciplinary route as I think it is far too punitive... other might disagree but I prefer the imperfect system we currently have

moggy#9

Thread starter #28
I think the difference is that the EIHA is largely amateur, hence players have jobs outside hockey and so the consequences of being injured are financial for the individual player. So we saw multiple bans of 12 and even 20 games (which is a significant chunk of the season) given out by the EIHA

Players in the EIHL are almost all professional and so whilst I am definitely not condoning hits such as the Billingham one, there is no way it would get 12 games - more likely 5 maximum.

Whilst DOPS is frustratingly inconsistent, I would not like to go down the EIHA disciplinary route as I think it is far too punitive... other might disagree but I prefer the imperfect system we currently have
I don't really accept that difference. DOPS is after all the department of player safety. Whether the players are professional or not, it's about the injury not the monitory cost of it to the individual. An injury from an incident like this could in an extreme case be career ending.

I accept that the difference in skill and experience at different level has a bearing on the view of offences. The thing with this sort of boarding though it's that it's when a player is most defenceless, which is why it's considered so seriously.

I don’t accept that difference. There’s a long list of players from the EIHL who have received life-limiting and eventually life-ending injuries. Professional, semi-professional or Rec, all leagues need better players safety, times have changed.

kettdevil1

I don’t accept that difference. There’s a long list of players from the EIHL who have received life-limiting and eventually life-ending injuries. Professional, semi-professional or Rec, all leagues need better players safety, times have changed.
I certainly wouldn't argue that serious foul play should be punished severely however, I can't agree with not accepting the difference. The tariffs in the EIHA are (in my view) out of proportion to the offences - in a bored moment last season I was totting up the length of ban Brandt would have if he played in the lower league and he would miss almost 50% of our games and he wouldn't be the only one.

By all means come down harshly on plays such as from the Billingham player but I am old school when it comes to the EIHL, most battles should be sorted out on the ice, with DOPS being reserved for the most serious incidents.

kettdevil1

I don't really accept that difference. DOPS is after all the department of player safety. Whether the players are professional or not, it's about the injury not the monitory cost of it to the individual. An injury from an incident like this could in an extreme case be career ending.

I accept that the difference in skill and experience at different level has a bearing on the view of offences. The thing with this sort of boarding though it's that it's when a player is most defenceless, which is why it's considered so seriously.
Which is why, if it was in the regular season, it would earn a ban. Looking at previous cases, I would suspect 2-3 games. Brandt would also have got 3 games for leaving the bench against Amiens so.... what tariffs would you give. The EIHA is likely to be maybe 6 or 12 for the Tansey case and similar for Brandt.

moggy#9

Thread starter #33
I think there's a clear difference in terms of offences here. Leaving the bench or 3rd man in for instance are disciplinary offences. Boarding can range from careless play, to reckless play right up to deliberate attempt to injure. All of these offences should be treated in their merits.

kettdevil1

I think there's a clear difference in terms of offences here. Leaving the bench or 3rd man in for instance are disciplinary offences. Boarding can range from careless play, to reckless play right up to deliberate attempt to injure. All of these offences should be treated in their merits.
Absolutely - and the thing the EIHA does right is they publish the handbook and also have five separate tariffs (along with the mandatory ban and the totting up ban) according to the severity of the offence.

In principle I like the transparency of this approach but my issue is that it leads to lengthy bans for offences which are probably not worthy of a significant ban.

Paul Sullivan

They never have. Its an agreement between 2 teams to play a game, effectively nothing to do with the elite. Roster restrictions were also ignored and in the case of the Belfast game we played CHL rules.
The league can't really arbitrate on games that they aren't anything to do with.
Agreed, however we're in murky waters with liability insurance, health coverage for officials, etc. It's independently scheduled for sure, but you could make the case it's officially 'sanctioned', even if the rules are, erm, 'fluid'.

Old school me wants it sorted on the ice for sure, but I also wouldn't want any player getting the bad outcome Marshy had after a team or a player has issued intent.

As ever, SNAFU League shizzle :cool:

terry hunt

You should not make a joke of this.This coach is desperate and probably trying to keep his job.This is the same stuff that Nottingham did against Tyson Marsh.Seriously injuring Thompsom may please their fans and cover his ass.
I hope Devils fans dont sink to this level.The players should sort their own problems not get an enforcer the chance to injure someone to build his reputation.

Wannabe2

Well we play the Sqeelers tomorrow, wonder what will happen there with two faced Tansey having done what he did to Barrow. Only time will tell, if you play and behave like a twat then you deserve to get twated, wonder if it will be left to Brandt again.