IAW needs more seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

26 Nov 2013 Final Gazette dissolved via compulsory strike-off

That's the last entry into MGS Europe on company house

Details here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08031011/filing-history

I fail to see how we would have done better with a company who dissolved 3 years before the IAW was built? what am i missing here?
Really.

Ok,this is starting to get ridiculous.

Sorry Gaza272, l stated 13 words after that company name, that I'd made them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milky

Having thought long and hard about this I'm still on the fence.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and nobody had a crystal ball to guess we'd be where we are now (great owners, great team and riding high in the league) in only a few short years. Todd's interview the other day was really interesting especially his comments that every day his main thought is selling tickets. If we move to a position of 70/80% capacity as season tickets then thats a massive boost financially for the club and only then I think is expansion an issue we need to address. I actually quite like the fact it's a sell out and there's loads of buzz around the city about the club. Let's see how a Wednesday game in November against Edinburgh goes attendance wise before we start adding new stands etc!

Having said that I also do agree with Electro on the building of the rink. Capacity aside (see my last paragraph) it seems to be a catalogue of poor judgement, errors and mismanagement. I've asked before but nobody seems to have replied but what happened to Chris Hartrey? He seemed to just disappear over night.

Also, I can't see the owners buying the rink anytime soon. Simple maths really. Greenbank apparently spent £16m ish on the build and will want to recoup as much of that as possible. That as a value means didly squat to any new buyer. All a buyer is concerned about from a commercial perspective is the return on investment and profitability as a business. A twin pad rink has practically zero value outside of ice sports, so the value in the purchase is determined by how much money the business makes. Given how quiet the rink is in the day in the week, i'd be amazed if it makes much of a profit (if any at all). That could also be a factor in why IAW is already getting run down and Greenbank seem reluctant to invest more money.

E.D.S.

Why do you rise to it? I do appreciate the virtues of a forum but...I've said before and I'll say it again... winning an argument against a clever person is tough but winning an argument against a stupid person is impossible.
Surely the best response is nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electro

Why do you rise to it? I do appreciate the virtues of a forum but...I've said before and I'll say it again... winning an argument against a clever person is tough but winning an argument against a stupid person is impossible.

So stop adding nothing to a discussion and insisting on something that is not happening.

Take your own advice.

Electro

Having thought long and hard about this I'm still on the fence.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and nobody had a crystal ball to guess we'd be where we are now (great owners, great team and riding high in the league) in only a few short years. Todd's interview the other day was really interesting especially his comments that every day his main thought is selling tickets. If we move to a position of 70/80% capacity as season tickets then thats a massive boost financially for the club and only then I think is expansion an issue we need to address. I actually quite like the fact it's a sell out and there's loads of buzz around the city about the club. Let's see how a Wednesday game in November against Edinburgh goes attendance wise before we start adding new stands etc!

Having said that I also do agree with Electro on the building of the rink. Capacity aside (see my last paragraph) it seems to be a catalogue of poor judgement, errors and mismanagement. I've asked before but nobody seems to have replied but what happened to Chris Hartrey? He seemed to just disappear over night.

Also, I can't see the owners buying the rink anytime soon. Simple maths really. Greenbank apparently spent £16m ish on the build and will want to recoup as much of that as possible. That as a value means didly squat to any new buyer. All a buyer is concerned about from a commercial perspective is the return on investment and profitability as a business. A twin pad rink has practically zero value outside of ice sports, so the value in the purchase is determined by how much money the business makes. Given how quiet the rink is in the day in the week, i'd be amazed if it makes much of a profit (if any at all). That could also be a factor in why IAW is already getting run down and Greenbank seem reluctant to invest more money.
Ice Arena Wales Ltd has a charge against it with Financial Wales Investments Ltd from June 2016, as long as they pay the bill every month, if not the charge is over the whole complex, the lot.

KaneDevils

So does this comment make you clever or stupid? Why not counter his views with something of your own. I don't agree with all electro says, but some of his content is more than valid.

The facts are;

Is IAW better than the tent - YES
Is the IAW really big enough - NO

Not much more to really talk about. Maybe be grateful of what we have and not worry about what we don't have.

kingmo19.1

Just to bring the thread back to the present ....

Understandable, the (somewhat blase) reaction of some season ticket holders around demand as their seats are secured (so happy days!). But that still doesn't help those who can't get a ticket!

To put the gantry myth to bed - I've been up there, there is space! ... Just needs the club to have an appetite to put up some cheap partitioning and it could easily accommodate 100 standing fans.

Electro

It'll be interesting to see if future ST applications take into account the applications history, it would be so upsetting if some who supported the Devils long term where to be left ticketless.

Vartel

It'll be interesting to see if future ST applications take into account the applications history, it would be so upsetting if some who supported the Devils long term where to be left ticketless.

They could do it like some other sports, that renewing season ticket holders get to renew first, then after that is sorted new people can apply for season tickets a few weeks later. Not a directly comparable example, but that is how the NFL does it with the London games

E.D.S.

So does this comment make you clever or stupid? Why not counter his views with something of your own. I don't agree with all electro says, but some of his content is more than valid.

The facts are;

Is IAW better than the tent - YES
Is the IAW really big enough - NO

Not much more to really talk about. Maybe be grateful of what we have and not worry about what we don't have.
I find the comments largely nonsense and begrudge sifting through pages of personal spats when subjects have been taken way off topic. I'd rather it wasn't there. Hence the comment. I'm very happy to respond to something of merit and of interest as I have done previously but it's few and far between. You seem to have a different view. That's your choice. Good for you. I'll manage my own contribution to this forum in the same way you are but thank you for the steer. It's been noted.

I agree with your comment about the IAW being considerably better. No argument there.

Paul Sullivan

To put the gantry myth to bed - I've been up there, there is space! ... Just needs the club to have an appetite to put up some cheap partitioning and it could easily accommodate 100 standing fans.
This is getting tiresome tbh, though I fully acknowledge the good intentions.

The gantry is:
1: Not allowed general public on it for health, safety and fire regulations reasons. Evacuation times of all areas of the building are a factor of the capacity and limit attendance.

2: not licensed. So as long as you have 100 tee total standing fans with cloaking devices? You'll be fine.

The Devils would be breaking the law to sell tickets there. I can't state it any clearer than that. And you'd still need to tell Todd where his new location would be to run a match night. And webcast. And analysis team. And media guests.

Electro

I find the comments largely nonsense and begrudge sifting through pages of personal spats when subjects have been taken way off topic. I'd rather it wasn't there. Hence the comment. I'm very happy to respond to something of merit and of interest as I have done previously but it's few and far between. You seem to have a different view. That's your choice. Good for you. I'll manage my own contribution to this forum in the same way you are but thank you for the steer. It's been noted.

I agree with your comment about the IAW being considerably better. No argument there.

+1

Ocko

Just a question for those who work up on the gantry; what goes on in the corner? Seems to be a load of people over there doing stuff, but can't really think what said stuff is!

KaneDevils

Cool. I really meant as you responded by telling people not to. But yeah, advice is free and you don't have to take it. :) your post offered little to the debate and simply stoked the fire. Needlessly. Just because you don't agree with a comment doesn't make the poster stupid, as you implied.

Last edited:

Electro

The stupidity is in given intelligent advice without understanding that advice.

I make reference to the lack of understanding, as to continually do the opposite of any advice one gives, that really does takes some stupidity.

dave

Just a question for those who work up on the gantry; what goes on in the corner? Seems to be a load of people over there doing stuff, but can't really think what said stuff is!
The stewarding meeting point and control centre. The arena emergency medical response, the club photographers and the game analysis team.

Oh and we keep Finny away from the general fanbase..forgot the most important part

Last edited:
IAW would be almost perfect if:

standing was available at the plexi and the seats started about 2/3 rows higher.
we had normal team benches
Another café/food outlet to cope with peak demand without having to wait an hour
an extra 2 metres around the walkways of the rink for entering/leaving.
if it were able to be expanded to allow for an extra 1000/1500 seats.

Not only would we have a better atmosphere with fans around the plexi, it would be a lot more comfortable and functional to use. With the benefit of hindsight, it really is quite shocking to see how much we have been stiffed with the design on the rink we waited 10 long years for. Whoever designed it needs to take up a new career because whilst its a beautiful rink to look at, it struggles to cope with its main purpose.

RE: Chris Hartrey, he was sacked. Thank god.

E.D.S.

The stupidity is in given intelligent advice without understanding that advice.

I make reference to the lack of understanding, as to continually do the opposite of any advice one gives, that really does takes some stupidity.

*giving

Status
Not open for further replies.