If we get a season 21/22

Wannabe2

Thread starter #181
People being safer is obviously the better side, however we can’t go on living under a black cloud. Hopefully we still have 4 months or so to get it together.

august04 2.0

At the start of all this, the whole rationale for this level of state control was to avoid our NHS being overrun. And that’s fair enough when we were developing vaccines/treatments etc. and people were at real risk. However, with 9 out of 10 adults and the most vulnerable (or thereabouts) vaccinated/due to be vaccinated fully over the summer, provided we have faith in our vaccines, there is simply no prospect of that happening. These politicians, both sides of the border, have become used to this power grab, and are finding every reason not to let go. We can’t hide in a hole every time a variant crops up. If people choose to do that, then that is their right but it’s time to open up fully now, remove all restrictions and let the rest get on with their lives, for those that want to. And then, if it becomes clear that the NHS is at risk of being overrun again at some point in the future, then look at the whole thing again. By then, you never know, we might have invested in our NHS properly so that we can withstand future instances like that. Probably won’t though!

Last edited:

Kevlar68

If you were in Cardiff city centre on Saturday there is no sign at all that politicians have got a power grab and control, you wouldn't even know that Covid was still about.

moggy#9

I've had my vaccination but fully support the right of people to choose. That includes choosing own level of risk. Most vulnerable vaccinated. Limit to what can be done after that. I know there are differing opinions and respect them fully. Personally, I'm up for choosing own levels of risk as we do in many areas of life.
While it might be people's right to choose the consequence of that is that they shouldn't be allowed to carry on with certain activities. With every right comes a corresponding responsibility. To be honest I'm fed up with the anti vaxxer Muppets, and as far as I'm concerned they can get stuffed.

august04 2.0

If you were in Cardiff city centre on Saturday there is no sign at all that politicians have got a power grab and control, you wouldn't even know that Covid was still about.
They still think people are listening, which makes it all the more ridiculous not to open up fully and get on with it. In most cases, as you say, people are anyway.

Kevlar68

They still think people are listening, which makes it all the more ridiculous not to open up fully and get on with it. In most cases, as you say, people are anyway.
But that's not control then is it really if people aren't listening? It can only be classed as control if people are listening and doing which they're not.

august04 2.0

But that's not control then is it really if people aren't listening? It can only be classed as control if people are listening and doing which they're not.
Well, in fairness, many were for well over a year. The inevitable fatigue has set in now though and people have had enough. There may be people gathering together but there are still restrictions on hospitality, sporting events, theatres, night clubs, holidays etc etc. Isn’t that enough?!

Kevlar68

Holidays have restrictions from all angles not just the UK. As for the differences from full lockdown to now about 90% of restrictions are lifted so only 10% left, isn't that enough for now?!

Compared to where we were to now its a massive achievement. How would it look if there was still no vaccine that worked?

august04 2.0

Holidays have restrictions from all angles not just the UK. As for the differences from full lockdown to now about 90% of restrictions are lifted so only 10% left, isn't that enough for now?!
Obviously for you.…..it will be interesting to revisit this again in several months time, if, as is being indicated by the WG, social distancing is likely to be in place until the end of this year. That will mean many more businesses going under (particularly in the hospitality and leisure sectors), and may even threaten the existence of our great club too. That level of control is way too much for me.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Yes for me it is thanks :cool:

I go to many concerts in a year, i travel abroad every year, i go to many sporting events in a year, i go to theatre and all those i still can't do but i'm still happy with the way things are going.
I couldn't even open my business in 2020 but again i have no problem with that, i'm alive, my partners alive,my family are all still alive and that's cause we stayed safe following the rules, that's plenty for me thanks.

Last edited:

NathanG

I'm all for scrapping all restrictions surrounding sporting events, hospitality and concerts etc. If you fear the virus and/or refuse to get vaccinated then you carry on hiding away while the world moves on. Absolutely sick of it now and have been for months!

Kevlar68

I've had covid March 2020, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I've had my first jab and second on Monday next week so I'm good to go.
I've worked throughout pandemic 40 hours a week on the frontline in the UK since May 2020.
I've had 2 theater events canceled.
I've had 3 holidays canceled.
I've had 4 concerts canceled.
BUT
I go out to bars every weekend as I booked tables for 2 months since they reopened.
I've been up to London for weekends since you could travel.
I'm still fine with the very few restrictions, everyone is different, everyone has their own opinion which is neither right nor wrong.
Here is why I'm fine with restrictions.
Isn't it better to just hang on for say 8 more weeks, get many more vaccinated, get cases even lower and get everything back open including indoor arenas or is it better to lift all restrictions now, cases rise, deaths rise and everywhere gets shut down and we may never get a Devils team again?
I'm happy to be patient so I can have more chance of seeing our Devils play.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #195
I've had covid March 2020, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I've had my first jab and second on Monday next week so I'm good to go.
I've worked throughout pandemic 40 hours a week on the frontline in the UK since May 2020.
I've had 2 theater events canceled.
I've had 3 holidays canceled.
I've had 4 concerts canceled.
BUT
I go out to bars every weekend as I booked tables for 2 months since they reopened.
I've been up to London for weekends since you could travel.
I'm still fine with the very few restrictions, everyone is different, everyone has their own opinion which is neither right nor wrong.
Here is why I'm fine with restrictions.
Isn't it better to just hang on for say 8 more weeks, get many more vaccinated, get cases even lower and get everything back open including indoor arenas or is it better to lift all restrictions now, cases rise, deaths rise and everywhere gets shut down and we may never get a Devils team again?
I'm happy to be patient so I can have more chance of seeing our Devils play.
And that’s spot on, hard to argue with any of those comments, myself I could handle a little more time if it meant sorting this horrible time out. Being safe is the number 1 priority anything else comes behind that, it’s about life at the end of the day get that safe then we can all have a blast. I have lost 2 members of my family, and also a very dear friend, so don’t take this horrible disease lightly, we will get there but when it’s safe to do so. Take care all.

moggy#9

Here's a formula for how we can have hockey:
All fans either produce evidence of full vaccination or undergo a test before entering.
All fans wear masks throughout matches.
No visiting fans. But all clubs must provide streams.
No bar nor food outlets.
No players and fans mixing.

The big problem is that we'd have to get four separate jurisdictions to accept such a plan.

Devil94

I'm not sure the clubs in the league would have the resources to check vaccine status or test results for every ticket holder. Unless something official like NHS app which is just scan a code or similar.

The other suggestions are perfectly reasonable and dont think anyone would have a problem with those.

moggy#9

I'm not sure the clubs in the league would have the resources to check vaccine status or test results for every ticket holder. Unless something official like NHS app which is just scan a code or similar.

The other suggestions are perfectly reasonable and dont think anyone would have a problem with those.
Checking vaccine status would of course be dependent upon a government produced app. On site testing before entry would be incredibly difficult to administer, so it may come down to no app, no entry.

pjj365

Here's a formula for how we can have hockey:
All fans either produce evidence of full vaccination or undergo a test before entering.
All fans wear masks throughout matches.
No visiting fans. But all clubs must provide streams.
No bar nor food outlets.
No players and fans mixing.

The big problem is that we'd have to get four separate jurisdictions to accept such a plan.
If the money is there this looks good but:

Evidence will need checking - extra stewards?
Wearing faces masks will discourage some/exclude those who can't wear them - reduced revenue?
Loss of a bit of revenue through no visitors - would income from streams compensate?
Will the loss of food/bar revenue impact the club or the venue?
Without the bar though, the mixing issue solves itself

Everything is possible at a cost and, as I say, this looks good as on the surface maximum attendance would be possible. Whether the financial balancing act would work - who knows

As it stands though and whatever personal risk or risk to others we are prepared to take or are allowed to take I can only see this being possible for half the leauge - England. The other three nations seem to be signalling greater caution over the winter even within near 100% vaccines

All we can do is let the club's do their sums and sit, wait and stay safe

How do we all feel watching full capacity arenas at Stanley Cup games?

More and more US states are allowing capacity crowds at seated indoor venues with safety procedures in place and a smaller percentage of the population having had a vaccine than Wales.

I'll be paying close attention to how that affects their case numbers etc. But unless COVID goes severely off the rails in the coming months, I can't see any plausible reason why we can't enjoy the same freedoms in 4/5 months time - especially if procedures such as masks, vaccine passports, temperature checks, sanitisation stations etc. are available.