Josh Batch,

Kristoff

Thread starter #8
Complete waste being 6’4” and 220ib if that is not used as a physical advantage. Might aswell be 5’2” and 150ib.

Possibly in the comfort zone after being here so long and likely needs a new challenge elsewhere to find his mojo.
The amount of times the smaller guys have had to step in because Batch hasn't is crazy. Batch of old was insane, Probably the best fighter in the league and the effect one of his hits has on the arena is unreal but not seen it for a long while now. Because he isn't the greatest skater, without his aggression and phisicality I am unsure on what he offers apart from being a good looking chap.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

But yet he’s a plus 5 +\- so he’s not a huge defensive liability. To my mind he is playing a positionally disciplined game and not chasing hits into areas of the ice he shouldn’t. Batchy is also a confidence player who when confident plays big but when not can go a little into his shell. Just appears he’s having a slower start to the year than previous so I wouldn’t be to vitriolic. Even not at his dominating best he’s still not a liability especially compared to other no 6 D men in the league. Give me Batchy over Davey Phillips everyday of the week put it that way.

Ocko

I think it’s lost on some people what an impact the size of the ice pad makes the game and to how you play. Particularly D men. The game is unfortunately changing, but it is emphasised ten fold on an Olympic sized ice pad. It near impossible to make open ice hits without either headhunting a player late or putting the team wildly out of position.

You don’t see almost any D men making hits anymore, even in their own corners. Chasing players into corner leaves you wide open and throws your defensive shape. Making hits through the neutral zone leaves you with an odd man rush. You can’t win. Particularly if you aren’t the quickest footed player; not that Josh is slow by any means but let’s be honest he’s 6 foot 4.

It’s not the BBT anymore or even a case of the game going soft, just the reality of adding many meters to an ice pad and the pace of play increasing. If you’ve played a contact match on IAW you’d understand, you have to skate so much further to make your hits now and the puck is long gone by the time you’re there. Also factor in the neutral zones are smaller. That extra second the extra 5 meters in length, and 4 across gives you makes such a difference.

Olympic ice is shite. No one likes playing on it. Even the rinks in North America are smaller.

BostonBart22

Could be the way he has been told to play by dupont , would love him to play as forward at some point this season, very effective in that area, plus he could show some of our bigger forwards how to hit as a power forward..just saying

bb1

Batch has shown us all that he has all the tools to be a very good D man. He had a very good season last year but I have to agree so far he looks a shadow of himself. Is he carrying an injury?
The overall best version of Josh batch was in the Hendo era but that was 7 years ago! Since he has developed as a player but certainly needs to up his game this season and fingers crossed he will.

Must be said however, Mark Louis so far has been very good. Never rated Louis as a hitter but man it looks like Brandt has been schooling him on the body checking side of things as he's thrown some huge clean hits. Great to watch!!!

E.D.S.

I'm not after open ice hits and fighting, although I wouldn't mind, but aside from a shift in the 2nd last night he looks fragile and cumbersome. Cox got smashed by Norris, I think it was, great hit and no one said or did anything. Both Batch and Louis were on the ice for that. For me, I just want to see his distribution be a bit cleaner and better use of his size - whether it's to have a word with someone or keep the Blaze away from the puck. They had a bit of success with him against the boards yesterday. Its been the same for a few weeks.

He was superb last season. So he's set himself some really high standards.

hip check

I think it’s lost on some people what an impact the size of the ice pad makes the game and to how you play. Particularly D men. The game is unfortunately changing, but it is emphasised ten fold on an Olympic sized ice pad. It near impossible to make open ice hits without either headhunting a player late or putting the team wildly out of position.

You don’t see almost any D men making hits anymore, even in their own corners. Chasing players into corner leaves you wide open and throws your defensive shape. Making hits through the neutral zone leaves you with an odd man rush. You can’t win. Particularly if you aren’t the quickest footed player; not that Josh is slow by any means but let’s be honest he’s 6 foot 4.

It’s not the BBT anymore or even a case of the game going soft, just the reality of adding many meters to an ice pad and the pace of play increasing. If you’ve played a contact match on IAW you’d understand, you have to skate so much further to make your hits now and the puck is long gone by the time you’re there. Also factor in the neutral zones are smaller. That extra second the extra 5 meters in length, and 4 across gives you makes such a difference.

Olympic ice is shite. No one likes playing on it. Even the rinks in North America are smaller.
Riley seems to cope very well with the larger ice..'Bang Bang'

Ocko

Riley seems to cope very well with the larger ice..'Bang Bang'
Brandt plays about 8-10 mins per game max, probably less on the 4th line with no expectation on him other than to work hard and not be conceded on. He makes about 5-8 hits in that time I’d say.

You can’t compare that to someone who is playing top 6 D minutes and all situations other than PP. Brandt sees little of the puck so is able to play a forechecking role without concern for winning the puck - that’s a little bit easier than being a D man on a massive ice pad who if they make a hit is most of the time out of position within a second. Brandt is also typically with two other quick forwards who trap the neutral zone that allows him to get on the forecheck and be off the ice in 30 seconds. D men have to play smart now; making hits blows your lungs. If you ended up trapped in your zone and blowing you are no use.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. ‘bang bang’ is also a little cringey.

Thread starter #18
Could be the way he has been told to play by dupont , would love him to play as forward at some point this season, very effective in that area, plus he could show some of our bigger forwards how to hit as a power forward..just saying
Am sure he isn't being told to play like this. Unless you mean his wife telling him?

kettdevil1

Brandt plays about 8-10 mins per game max, probably less on the 4th line with no expectation on him other than to work hard and not be conceded on. He makes about 5-8 hits in that time I’d say.

You can’t compare that to someone who is playing top 6 D minutes and all situations other than PP. Brandt sees little of the puck so is able to play a forechecking role without concern for winning the puck - that’s a little bit easier than being a D man on a massive ice pad who if they make a hit is most of the time out of position within a second. Brandt is also typically with two other quick forwards who trap the neutral zone that allows him to get on the forecheck and be off the ice in 30 seconds. D men have to play smart now; making hits blows your lungs. If you ended up trapped in your zone and blowing you are no use.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. ‘bang bang’ is also a little cringey.
Yep, that sums it up nicely. Just looking at the +/- for the D in the league at the moment:
Crawford +11
Batch +6
Thompson +4
Jardine +4
Ritchie +2
Louis +1

So, whilst I get that some people have selected Batch as the whipping boy, I am not convinced that the evidence points his way. We are still harking back to his presence in the BBT and his tilts with Fitzgerald but.... things have changed.