Justin Crandall

jenks33

Thread starter #1
What’s the general feeling about the possibility of Crandall returning? In another thread Rempel16 thinks Crandall will be back and I tend to agree, I’ve got a hunch he will return. To be honest I’ll be underwhelmed if it happens. In my opinion he did absolutely nothing last season to deserve a third season in Cardiff and we should be looking elsewhere. Although Crandall’s got a feisty side it was his vision that impressed most of us in his first season and just the 23 assists and 36 points last season was extremely disappointing. Particularly when you consider he was probably one of our higher earners. I seriously question how invested he was last season and along with Reid, Brittain, Penny and Thompson I think Crandall should be replaced.

Last edited:

TL91

Personally, I’d like to see him back. I think if given the right line, he’ll be able to produce consistent numbers. Just think there was a lot off last season across the team and he has shown he can deliver.

jenks33

Thread starter #4
Personally, I’d like to see him back. I think if given the right line, he’ll be able to produce consistent numbers. Just think there was a lot of last season across the team and he has shown he can deliver.
We saw his talent in that first season but for me he doesn’t produce enough for a top 6 role (for a title winning team) and I would prefer us to look for a younger, hungrier player on that third line. I think we could recruit a player for that 3rd line that produces similar numbers to Crandall but is more of a pain in the arse to play against. Crandall can be feisty but I wouldn’t call him a rink rat that players hate playing against.

Devils86

His hockey IQ and skill with hands is up there - I'd be very happy to have him back. If you listen to his interviews back in the first season when he was on the first line with Dix and Reid you get an insight into his game - he's a creator. He lost Dix as a net front presence and Reid got found out, he needs to get away from being paired with Reid and hopefully that will happen next season.

I also think from his feistiness he would get on board with PR's approach of relentlessness and intensity. Not the biggest but he gets it. Needs a good season coming up

jenks33

Thread starter #6
His hockey IQ and skill with hands is up there - I'd be very happy to have him back. If you listen to his interviews back in the first season when he was on the first line with Dix and Reid you get an insight into his game - he's a creator. He lost Dix as a net front presence and Reid got found out, he needs to get away from being paired with Reid and hopefully that will happen next season.

I also think from his feistiness he would get on board with PR's approach of relentlessness and intensity. Not the biggest but he gets it. Needs a good season coming up
Yep, definitely a creator. That’s why 23 assists in 54 games was extremely disappointing, compared to 45 in his first season. And he was 21 points down in total. I appreciate he was stuck with Reid but I still felt Crandall’s vision was nowhere near as noticeable as his first season. I just don’t think he’s earned another season with us but having said that there are 4 or 5 players I’d have ahead of him on the list of players I don’t want back.

A toughy this one. If it was based on the first year then absolutely. He was extremely creative, often unplayable. This second year has been a bit of a contrast. He was quite a tough watch at times and you could often sense quite a lot of frustration in his demeanour. Lots of line chopping and changing isn’t going to help anyone’s game though, and Dixon moving on was undoubtably a big miss to Crandall game.

As Devil86 has eluded to, with a new pairing, coach and new lease of life we could get the Crandall of year 1. Hope so too, seems like a really good guy and someone who wears the Devils jersey with pride.

Devil94

I want him back. In his first year he was one of the best in the league for me. Fell away last year but I'm confident that PR can find him a role that will get him back to where he was.

TL91

Yep, definitely a creator. That’s why 23 assists in 54 games was extremely disappointing, compared to 45 in his first season. And he was 21 points down in total. I appreciate he was stuck with Reid but I still felt Crandall’s vision was nowhere near as noticeable as his first season. I just don’t think he’s earned another season with us but having said that there are 4 or 5 players I’d have ahead of him on the list of players I don’t want back.
The thing with assists is someone needs to finish what you’ve started….if they haven’t done that, you don’t get the A which then doesn’t help a player like Crandall (or anyone for that matter). A better measure would be chances created; he may we be right up there again in that respect as his first season (I don’t know that though!), and just doesn’t have the line to finish what he started.

moggy#9

The thing with assists is someone needs to finish what you’ve started….if they haven’t done that, you don’t get the A which then doesn’t help a player like Crandall (or anyone for that matter). A better measure would be chances created; he may we be right up there again in that respect as his first season (I don’t know that though!), and just doesn’t have the line to finish what he started.
That's fair, however how often was he creating chances that didn't get finished? It seemed to me that whichever line he was on just seemed to struggle to get things going - I'm not sure how much that can need solely blamed on reid. I'd certainly be interested in the view who were in person at games as to how active he was on plays that the TV cameras wouldn't necessarily pick out.

Mooney#16

For me it’s not even about offence. Crandall and Reid were defensive liabilities in the D zone last season and did not commit to playing solid hockey with a sufficient enough compete level.

He doesn’t return based on character and not ability. Winners simply play harder than what he did last year which leads me to think you won’t win with him in the team so he has to unfortunately go.

Gavevs88

Crandall relishes with a guy in front of net to create chances for (Dicko). Without that net front guy that we lacked all year he just didn't have the same impact. Looking at PRs sides especially GB they've always got that big net front presence, I reckon we could get the best out of him again if utilised correctly.

jenks33

Thread starter #15
That’s true but in fairness that’s why I said even tho he was stuck with Reid his impressive vision just wasn’t noticeable like his first season, In my opinion anyway. I’m happy for people to want Crandall back based on his performances in that first season but Cmon I think even the biggest Crandall fan can’t just blame his line mates last season. He had a poor season. As Mooney said it wasn’t just a lack of ability I thought his compete level was very questionable. He’s a very lucky boy if he’s a Devil next season.

CaldicotDevil

It’s a no from me, if we want to compete for the league next year then we need to upgrade him.

Don’t forget this current devils core have been responsible for 2 coaches getting sacked in 2 seasons due to poor performances. So unless players have been exceptional for us like Coughler or Sanford then they need to go.

IMHO need a mass clear out and we have to be ruthless.

In my head I ask “Would Belfast sign ……” if the answers no, then they have to go. That’s the standard we need to look at to compete for the league again.

jenks33

Thread starter #17
That's fair, however how often was he creating chances that didn't get finished? It seemed to me that whichever line he was on just seemed to struggle to get things going - I'm not sure how much that can need solely blamed on reid. I'd certainly be interested in the view who were in person at games as to how active he was on plays that the TV cameras wouldn't necessarily pick out.
I agree. I remember that first season he looked like such a smart player. It seemed like most games he would make a particularly clever pass for EIHL level. I’m sorry that just wasn’t there last season. Can’t just blame the players around him, he wasn’t at the races.

jenks33

Thread starter #18
Crandall relishes with a guy in front of net to create chances for (Dicko). Without that net front guy that we lacked all year he just didn't have the same impact. Looking at PRs sides especially GB they've always got that big net front presence, I reckon we could get the best out of him again if utilised correctly.
What I struggle with though is Crandall is an experienced player now. I think last season was his 9th season of pro hockey. It wasn’t as if he was just with the same two line mates all season, the lines were shuffled and he didn’t look comfortable with anybody. How many games did we play in all comps? 70 odd? And I wouldn’t say he looked dialled in from August to April. Although we don’t know player salaries we can assume Crandall would be nearer the top of that list and you simply need more from those players. I can live with an inexperienced player having a few struggles learning his trade (Waller for example). I struggle with more experienced players when it’s over a whole season.

Rempel16

I’m with you Jenks.

I would prefer him to be shown the door. His compete level wasn’t there consistently enough this season.

I do empathise in that he was paired with Reid, but that’s not enough for me, as I don’t think he’d be cheap.

I disagree about him needing a net front presence though. Dixon made that line better because of his stellar 2-way game, not for the net front presence. Crandall’s defensive zone work wasn’t the best and that’s where I’d be looking to upgrade.

lloyd_jeff

You’ve actually explained why he should be binned, one trick pony, shut down that and he’s got nothing, certainly hasn’t the fight in him to adjust his presence.