Justin Sawyer Beefs up the blue line

Dwoods said:
Excellent signing IMHO - looks like he was on a lot of the Coventry Fans' wish list too
Not on my wishlist at all. Surprised you have wasted an import slot on what seems to be a bit of a goon. Should be entertaining for fans but teams carrying heavyweight enforcers haven't had much success in the league in recent years.

Gazza272

Thread starter #22
J.B said:
Dwoods said:
Excellent signing IMHO - looks like he was on a lot of the Coventry Fans' wish list too
Not on my wishlist at all. Surprised you have wasted an import slot on what seems to be a bit of a goon. Should be entertaining for fans but teams carrying heavyweight enforcers haven't had much success in the league in recent years.

Dont feed the troll, who obvioulsy hasnt read the rest of the thread :lol:

PCS

J.B said:
Troll somewhere else mate.

Finny

To be fair to JB someone like Sawyer must look like a goon compared to the pussies that Coventry have signed.
Wonder if they will have the balls to jump our smaller players and brits this year? I doubt it.

Chris

Administrator
Or they will fight and then we'll have to listen to all the Blaze fans whinge, moan and cry about our players being the nastiest, ugliest players they've ever seen and how it's not fair that they got punched in retaliation...

At the present moment it looks like another season of the Steelers 1 man management whinging when we hit their players in any way, shape or form and maybe the Blaze fans joining in...

Chris.

James

Administrator
If unkie Bob isn't out on his ear before the season starts it'll be interesting to see if there is a change in Sheffield Star editorial when it comes to Cardiff matches or not.

Finny said:
To be fair to JB someone like Sawyer must look like a goon compared to the pussies that Coventry have signed.
Wonder if they will have the balls to jump our smaller players and brits this year? I doubt it.
Posts like this make me wish the-inferno would introduce a like button ;)

Finny said:
I think Selmser could surprise a few people this season when he drops the gloves... The guys fought loads of people much tougher than anyone signed in the EIHL this season, and by many reports i've heard, for his size he's as tough as they come... Eric Cairns, Brant Mhyres, Rocky Thompson, Krzysztof Oliwa, Shawn Thornton, Eric Boulton, Wade Brookbank, thats a tough list of guys he's fought in the past.... Plus Shanker, Zanon and Lee in the roster already and Thomo promising a big tough D.man as well to come, the Blaze will be no soft touches next season either...

Blaze v Devils games could have even more talking points to them next season for sure... :)

Finny

Well from the videos I found quickly of Zanon, he seems to fight when he has to - not when he wants to. Because the videos I found of him so far seem to show him getting his butt handed to him.

Shanker - happy to chase the smaller guys like Richardson and Miller around the ice. But is rarely willing to go toe-to-toe with any of the big guys. Heck, even Sharp knocked him to the ice last season!

Brian Lee - another who only fights when he has to because he loses more often that not. Was it him who kept skating away from one of our players when they wanted a fight in Cardiff last season?

Sean Selmser - he's 35. He's here to start to wind down his career and get a degree. He won't be wanting to be fight people 10 years younger and 6 inches taller than him.

I know other fans keep saying that Coventry look tough this year - but I don't see it. Once again they look like being one of the teams to beat to the title - but unless both their final imports can handle themselves I would be very disappointed if we don't try to intimidate them from the very first 'friendly'.

J.B said:
Dwoods said:
Just as well he's not on your wish list as you wouldnt have got him. Nearly everyone, including fans from other teams, would disagree with your opinion but you are entitled to yours.

Rempel16

J.B said:
Dwoods said:
but you're not a Coventry fan jb so you wouldn't count anyway

Finny said:
I know other fans keep saying that Coventry look tough this year - but I don't see it. Once again they look like being one of the teams to beat to the title - but unless both their final imports can handle themselves I would be very disappointed if we don't try to intimidate them from the very first 'friendly'.
But haven't been tough for the last 4 seasons and nobody has really managed to intimidate us to the extent that they have put us off our title winning stride and I don't think it is any different now. You could argue that Voth has tried and he normally ends up in the penalty box or dressing room. My opinion has always been that if you want to bring in crowds and be a nice mid-table team, sign yourself a goon and enjoy watching him trying to liven up your games by fighting at the face-off. If you want to win trophies, just sign a solid tough team and you'll be fine. Just look at McMorrow last season. No Blaze player was going to fight him so he was just made meaningless and we beat them like 7 times out of 8 or something.

Gazza272

Thread starter #33
J.B said:
Finny said:
But haven't been tough for the last 4 seasons and nobody has really managed to intimidate us to the extent that they have put us off our title winning stride and I don't think it is any different now. You could argue that Voth has tried and he normally ends up in the penalty box or dressing room. My opinion has always been that if you want to bring in crowds and be a nice mid-table team, sign yourself a goon and enjoy watching him trying to liven up your games by fighting at the face-off. If you want to win trophies, just sign a solid tough team and you'll be fine. Just look at McMorrow last season. No Blaze player was going to fight him so he was just made meaningless and we beat them like 7 times out of 8 or something.

But the point your blatantly missing, is Sawyer isnt of the same ilk as Mcmorrow. So your point isnt as valid.

Finny

J.B said:
But last season you at least had Campbell and Robinson who would fight with pretty much anyone. And you've previously had players like Ndur and Belak(s).

When you won the Grand Slam you beat us pretty much every game because we were intimidated by Payette. The following season we had Voth and Darby and we pretty much beat you up every game.

The last season you didn't win the league your 'enforcer' was Carlyle Lewis and lets be honest - he was a bit of a pansie.

I can't see any of your current players wanting to fight Voth or Sawyer. Cruikshank maybe. Adams, Finnerty, Birbraer and maybe even Matzka could handle the rest of the team. Pity Miller aint here to run the netminder anymore because I can't imagine any Blaze player wanting to go for him if they see Sawyer waiting to back him up.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
But the point your blatantly missing, is Sawyer isnt of the same ilk as Mcmorrow. So your point isnt as valid.
We can only assume that for JB to go against the general opinion of Sawyer he has done far more research into him than Adams did. And presumably played alongside him more than Finnerty. And watched more games than his previous coaches.

Wannabe2

Great signing G again you have come up trumps, come on the season, cant wait to kick the stuffing out of the Blaze, and show them that last season isnt forgotten.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Sounds a good signing on playing ability,but my main concern here is that i watched about 15 of his fights on youtube and there wasn't a single fight that he could be classed as the winner in. Several, he more than held his own but still got beaten,and the rest he got beaten quite easily. My fear is that the enforcing duties are gonna be mainly down to vother again,and the penalties and suspensions that come with it.

Rempel16

mp43 said:
Sounds a good signing on playing ability,but my main concern here is that i watched about 15 of his fights on youtube and there wasn't a single fight that he could be classed as the winner in. Several, he more than held his own but still got beaten,and the rest he got beaten quite easily. My fear is that the enforcing duties are gonna be mainly down to vother again,and the penalties and suspensions that come with it.
I guess that's down to opinion. I thought he only got beaten in about 3 of the videos.

The rest were good scraps fought to a draw.

What I did like is that he is quite an open fighter and should be exciting to watch.

Besides, it's not how many you win or lose, it's how many you show up for. Maciver wasn't a good fighter at all, but he was willing and stepped up at the right moments. He didn't win many but the message was still delivered.

osh

I agre with MP43. No doubting he's not afraid to fight, but his technique is all over the place. He didn't win many of the fights shown and it's not about 'turning up to fight that counts', it's about winning them and inspiring your team from that point on. I'm hoping that his playing abilities will carry him through as a D man, and I think he's not a bad signing. The next D signing is the important one for me, we now need a good offensive D wgo will put up a few points and also look after himself. Looking at the signings made by other clubs, it's going to be a more physical league next season as each team has guys who will drop the gloves if required !

ASHIPP

J.B said:
My opinion has always been that if you want to bring in crowds and sign yourself a goon and enjoy watching him trying to liven up your games
:lol: :lol: Campbell? Cruickshank? Short-term memory strikes again, J.B.! :lol: :lol: