Latest rink update

Ocko

chillee said:
So will the IAW stay in its current format ?

Will the rink now start to be built with a bit more vigour ?

Will we see a Ski Slope ?

Will we see those piles abandoned/dismantled ?

Who Knows.
Stay in its current format? What other format do you think it will take? Might they turn it into a curling arena? Come on chillee lets be realistic what else is it going to be.

A bit more vigour? Have you been down there to see the amount of people and activity going on?

Ski slope? There is NOTHING to suggest we wont.

How do you suppose piles that are fully installed be dismantled? The piles are in the ground with the foundations currently being laid.

Who knows? Definitey not you.

Seriously now, what on earth makes you come with this crap? Take a trip down to the site and you will see the amount of working going on, it's even ahead of schedule I am lead to believe. I can understand you not wanting to believe it's done until it's actually operational but you sound ridiculous questioning the build at the moment. It's happening - simple as that and barring a natural disaster or a financial meltdown of epic proportions you are going to be made to look very stupid this time next year.

Chillie.

This is now becoming boring, I don't know who you are and quite frankly don't care, reading all your posts leads me to think you have some sort of vendetta towards the developers.
How ever putting that aside i would welcome you to come and meet me in my office on site where i would be happy to answer all you questions.

Chillee

I was at the development site last Friday and can assure you that it is a busy construction site. I know you like this kind of stuff so I can also confirm there were at least 7 construction vehicles of various types and sizes, all with drivers inside them and all working busily to build the new rink.

Seriously, take Chris up on his offer. Go to the site offices. You can't miss them. right next to the car park closest to the swimming pool. Go inside, look at the plans, the construction timetable, meet with Kier who are building it (Maybe take a look at their financials...you seem to enjoy doing that as well...I think you will be pleasantly surprised)

Maybe then.....just maybe...you might just be able to enjoy the fact that we are getting a new barn along with new owners and what looks like a rosy future.

The rest of the development....well we will have to wait and see, but the arena had to be built first....and being built it is.

The invitiation is there for all to see....take it up!

Did I state there would not be an ice rink, please people, put some thought into it.

I have no vendetta, I have no agenda.

I've seen the plans, read the minutes of meetings, seen the construction timetable (although that was the 2013/14 one, which is well out of date) & am well away of Kier construction.

Thank you for the invite, but you would only be repeating the company line that you have been issued with, I'm already aware of that, so your unlikely to give me anything further, especially unlikely if you are not aware of any changes or not allowed to breach confidentiality.

I guess we should leave it there, not point telling me I'm an idiot, full of s888 blah de blah. Lets just sit back and see what, if anything, pans out.

:D

I've not called you an idiot Chillee. Far from it. The point is, the development is underway. Things are happening. Go and have a look. Things have to start somewhere....this one has. What is the issue?

You were talking about "vigour"...it is there to see. Do you think they are not working hard enough? Do you need to see it thrown up rather than constructed properly. Honestly don't know what you want in this respect. Please enlighten us, Greenbank and Kier and I'm sure they will take your comments on board.

You mentioned "piles" might be ripped up. .....They won't. They form the construction of the Arena and as you now state...you never said there wouldn't be a rink. So also...what is your issue here then?

Whether we will see a Ski Slope? I doubt anyone knows for sure. Developments change all the time. They take years to finish. Just think about all those developments that began 6 or 7 years ago. Some are only now being completed. Most will have changed significantly since the initial planning stage I'm certain of that.

I can name a few in Cardiff that began years and years ago and are only now being completed and have altered. With many work stopped completely...why? Ask the developers, banks, investors and the economists...they will tell you why?

What is it exactly that you need to be told?

Tyke Devil said:
Whether we will see a Ski Slope? I doubt anyone knows for sure. Developments change all the time. They take years to finish. Just think about all those developments that began 6 or 7 years ago. Some are only now being completed. Most will have changed significantly since the initial planning stage I'm certain of that.

I can name a few in Cardiff that began years and years ago and are only now being completed and have altered. With many work stopped completely...why? Ask the developers, banks, investors and the economists...they will tell you why?

I hinted a while back that the build was to be affected, since then people have mocked, that's all really.

No drama's for me, other posters have defended the build, no surprise there really, some people seem to lack the understanding to get my point, its kinda simple really.

Ragan had no intention of selling the Devils and stated that in a statement, a week later its being sold, see people lie, plans as you have stated change.

I've not said anything other than that.

So maybe the work has been on a go slow for the last few months, for that reason, maybe it hasn't.

I'm sure we'll all find out soon.

Ocko

This is what EVERYONE is finding so frustrating with you Chillee. The building work hasnt been on a go slow for the past few months, so there is no reason. Whatever was happening with Ragan and the Devils has had zero impact on the build for the rink. Why cant you see that?

Finny

chillee said:
I guess we should leave it there...
Everybody else already had. You are the one who keeps bringing the topic back up. Suggesting that things might not be built despite having no evidence whatsoever for such suggestions.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Tyke Devil said:

I hinted a while back that the build was to be affected, since then people have mocked, that's all really.

No drama's for me, other posters have defended the build, no surprise there really, some people seem to lack the understanding to get my point, its kinda simple really.

Ragan had no intention of selling the Devils and stated that in a statement, a week later its being sold, see people lie, plans as you have stated change.

I've not said anything other than that.

So maybe the work has been on a go slow for the last few months, for that reason, maybe it hasn't.

I'm sure we'll all find out soon.
I'd say everyone lacks the understanding to get your point... Says more about your point than peoples understanding if you ask me!?

Have Hope#35 said:
I'd say everyone lacks the understanding to get your point... Says more about your point than peoples understanding if you ask me!?
So on IAW site it states "Wales largest tower", what don't you get ?

Jesus, my point is this.

I never stated the ice rink build wouldn't happen, changed yup, you maybe confused between the Ski slope development and the Ice Rink development.

I hinted the whole project except the rink, was to free up the land currently occupied by the BBT for housing, the council had to go ahead with the St Davids project, so the rink was dumped on this waste land, the council then keeps everyone happy selling the concept of the Ski Slope winter sports idea, its a common council sell, as its done around the UK.

The rink being scrapped would have caused a major headache for the council, so there kinda stuck with it, but it may be that the council has got lucky, now a group of peeps are in town, maybe their plans require a different set up, say a larger rink.

Do you believe both Kier, the council and Green bank haven't sat around a table several months ago. Do you think they would tell these potential investors to go and do one and take their money with them.

Is it not more likely that this was all being planned months ago. ;)

wildthing74

Maybe I'm being selfish here but after the last few years we've had being stuck in a falling to bits BBT as long as we get the rink I'm not bothered by ski slopes and all the other bells and whistles.

If the project for those takes longer,changes or doesn't go ahead I don't see why many Devils fans would lose sleep if IAW is completed.

Most developments, particularly those encouraged by Local Authorities or say WAG, are started on the basis that they will encourage other development in the area.

There is no motive other than to boost the local and Welsh (in this instance) economy.

Whether the scheme proposed in its infancy actually happens...or different schemes are proposed as the years go by is kind of a moot point.

The main thing here is that development has started and that usually gets people. companies and investors interested in that area. If they see the feasibilty of a ski slope, bars, shops or whatever in the future, and the numbers work...then it is likely to happen.

In not that...but if something different works...well...that will happen instead. It is what it is. A starting point.

Everyone that has had a hand in the start of this process should be applauded.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Have Hope#35 said:
So on IAW site it states "Wales largest tower", what don't you get ? But not that the slope 'as you put it' will be the tallest! It says that part of the entire development will include Wales' largest tower :DWD

Jesus, my point is this.

I never stated the ice rink build wouldn't happen, changed yup, you maybe confused between the Ski slope development and the Ice Rink development. No!

I hinted the whole project except the rink, was to free up the land currently occupied by the BBT for housing, the council had to go ahead with the St Davids project, so the rink was dumped on this waste land, the council then keeps everyone happy selling the concept of the Ski Slope winter sports idea, its a common council sell, as its done around the UK.

The rink being scrapped would have caused a major headache for the council, so there kinda stuck with it, but it may be that the council has got lucky, now a group of peeps are in town, maybe their plans require a different set up, say a larger rink.

Do you believe both Kier, the council and Green bank haven't sat around a table several months ago. Do you think they would tell these potential investors to go and do one and take their money with them.

Is it not more likely that this was all being planned months ago. ;)
Tell me... Why are you worried if small parts of the ice arena do change? It's not like they are going to do anything that requires a completely new planning application or a change to the finish date! Minor alterations are perfectly common...

wildthing74 said:
Maybe I'm being selfish here but after the last few years we've had being stuck in a falling to bits BBT as long as we get the rink I'm not bothered by ski slopes and all the other bells and whistles.

If the project for those takes longer,changes or doesn't go ahead I don't see why many Devils fans would lose sleep if IAW is completed.
Absolutely.

Cardiff needs and deserves a decent Ice Arena, some will argue larger arena's loose atmosphere, may be true, but if Ice Hockey does go as some investors believe it will, Cardiff would suffer in the medium to long term if the rink and its current development where to go ahead.

The rink is more viable without the slope and freeing up that space would be in all of our interests.

Puttin Nikes on a bull won't make it run faster. Dressing a pig in Armani wouldn't make it more attractive.

Have Hope#35 said:
But not that the slope 'as you put it' will be the tallest! It says that part of the entire development will include Wales' largest tower :DWD
Have you ever been skiing ?

You start at the top of a mountain and slide downwards on 2 sticks on your feet. :lol:

So is it not likely that the top of the tower is the top of the Ski Slope :roll:

Look at the plans, please.

Seriously I don't have kind words to reflect your comments, so I'll cease. :RAWK

Have Hope#35 said:
Tell me... Why are you worried if small parts of the ice arena do change? It's not like they are going to do anything that requires a completely new planning application or a change to the finish date! Minor alterations are perfectly common...
I'm not. Are you sure planning can't/ isn't going to change.

I was in a roundabout way trying to point out something was changing, but for obvious reasons could not betray a confidence, and will not by adding anything further.

Its as they say a fast developing situation that may or may not impact current or future plans.

Time will tell.

I just hope the planning in Cardiff makes for an arena that will impress fans, players, teams and prove to future investors of the kind that are about to land in Cardiff, that the rest of the UK can and will grow the sport hugely.

I don't want a what if scenario and find the investors walk away.