Latest rink update

Walked past the new arena yesterday, we stopped for a couple of minutes to have a look, there was no one working on the outside, we could not hear any drilling or hammering, we saw two guys in high vis vests and hard hats but no one actually working, it is so frustrating, this is perfect weather to be cracking on, and nothing seems to be happening.

Mooney#16

Whilst the arena is currently subject of a purchase offer seems all work has ceased and site cleared so asset sale is of a known quantity. Once purchase proceedings conclude one way or other I'd think you will see it accelerate again. It's in no ones interest for that sale to take longer than is necessary. Hopefully a valuation has been agreed at this point to the very least else I'd be mightily ticked at both sides again for a massive construction delay. There are a significant proportion of customers waiting and have been for a long time for that arena.

osh

Mooney#16 said:
Whilst the arena is currently subject of a purchase offer seems all work has ceased and site cleared so asset sale is of a known quantity. Once purchase proceedings conclude one way or other I'd think you will see it accelerate again. It's in no ones interest for that sale to take longer than is necessary. Hopefully a valuation has been agreed at this point to the very least else I'd be mightily ticked at both sides again for a massive construction delay. There are a significant proportion of customers waiting and have been for a long time for that arena.
Delay ?! That is a swear word according to some people associated with this project. Perhaps Pooneil would like to comment on the latest situation, especially due to previous sarcastic comments he aimed at those who dared to mention the word 'delay'. In fairness, it has to be said that it was moving along nicely at one stage, although it was clear to see that it was never going to be ready for the opening game of the 15/16 season. I'm still of the opinion it won't be ready until at least May next year and our first game there will be pre season 16/17. Despite the latest delay, it will be well worth waiting for.

Koop11

It is very frustrating to be so close yet so far. I just hope negotiations are concluded soon and that an agreement either way is made to allow the project to continue on.

Whoever owns the rink at the end of this I think will host ice users from next summer. I’m no construction engineer but it looks very unlikely the project will be finished this calendar year. I said it before but I don’t think it will be worth transferring the team to the new facility for 8 weeks. I think we’ll almost certainly play a full season (No. 10 is it?) in the BBT.

It certainly feels now like we will play another full season in the BBT, which weirdly might be a good thing recruitment wise for Lord, put together another "tent" team for this year then a "big ice" team for the following season and not have to try and do both now

Greenbank had to give Kier 8 weeks notice to restart the project, so everyone will be back on site in force on Monday 27/04/15 and the opening date of early January remains the same as this notice period was taken in to account when that date was given

devils2001uk said:
Devilsdude4 said:
This rink won't be open till august 2016 that's my oppinion.
It's a joke but there's nothing us fans can do.
Rather have the full season in bbt than try and split across 2 diff rinks

If you were a player and the new rink was ready in January you would be a bit peeved getting changed and showered in a freezing cold tent in January and February when there was a new rink and changing facilities just across the way

Plus the extra revenue that the new rink will generate even if it is just for the last 3 months of the season is a no brainer to me. I do share the frustration around the timescale though

D

Deleted member 1337

Best to see how the team performed on larger ice pads? Surely if we have a team built around the small pad of the tent we should stay there until the end of the season instead IMO

Earnie

I don't really buy into this team designed for a small rink thing. It is an excuse for coaches of other teams to use. Half our games are played in bigger rinks and we do quite nicely thank you very much.
The problem is for the visiting team . Our team is at home in the smaller rink because it is ours.
The transition into a larger pad mid season is a blessing for the visiting team - but our team should be able to handle that.

mazza03

Our team this season proved that they could play on big or small ice and I trust Lordo and Franny to do the same. Personally I can't wait to get into the new rink, it seems like we have waited forever for it. :RAWK

James

Administrator
Pretty sure we had the best away form in the league or did a few weeks before the end of the season when I checked so we did just fine on larger pads.

wildthing74

No way I'd want us in the 1st game we can. Like been said revenue alone it's worth a possible £15k per game if we get an extra 1000 fans for any of them and a chance for the team to get used to the facility prior to starting next season.

It's a pain either way for the club and us fans but I hope the fans cut the team some slack next year and don't expect miracles as the transition will surely have an impact when we do eventually get over there.

i'll miss the tent, but its time for this organisation to grow again and become a strong force in the city that I'm sure we all know it can be.

In my eyes, we will sell out the new rink, maybe not straight away, but we will. The excitement of the last seasons team, the excitement of the sport and the good pricing will help!

Ocko

Sheincar said:
How many dressing rooms will there be? Will there be enough for International tournaments?
2 large dressing rooms on the side of the main pad only. 4 smaller dressing rooms that can service both rinks. Totalling 6.

Plus 2 changing rooms for refs.

I believe this does fall in line with IIHF rules for international tournaments, I'm not sure if our capacity does though, I think it's fine but not 100%.