Mike MacWilliam - A gent and pure class

Wannabe2

What a great treasure Mike was a pure Legend in Cardiff, and the toughest player to ever grace the ice in the UK. And a lovely man and true gent, he once said just because you’re a born again Christian, doesn’t mean you have to be a wimp. Great memories of watching this great man play, it was a pure joy.

hip check

Mike was a born again Christian, he once said you don’t have to be a wimp to be one, I believe he used to visit Cardiff Nick to talk to young offenders, and said hockey had saved him as a young lad, as we was heading off the rails. He was indeed and still is a very good friend on Martin Joseph, and as bodybag says was a sound guy for him. If my memory serves me right, he threw his skates into Cardiff Bay, when finishing his careeer. Mike was one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, and there’s never been a tougher player on these shores playing regularly here. He is still a huge friend of Ivan Matulik another Devils Legend, you could hit Mike over the head with a sledgehammer, he would then take it off you and then that would be you finished. Lovely man, great player, and a true honour to know him.
There are certain players that get people off their seats when they're on the ice, including skilful players, tough guys, speedy skaters or just plain annoying to play against, 'big Mike was certainly one of them he gave both fans and fellow players a reassuring presence on the ice, whether I would agree that "there's never been a tougher player on these shores" is open to debate. Tom Sestito, Brian McGrattan, Wade Belak, Cam Jannsen and Kevin Westgarth amongst others were pretty tough.

I agree with most of what you’re saying and I would say he was the toughest in the league when he played in it without feeling biased.

However a few that were named above plus Eric Cairns and Colton Orr were genuine NHL tough and that’s where I would personally not back the ‘toughest ever’ claims.

Ocko

Given that the ISL had a lot more tough guys, and a lot more cheap shot artists, I never saw anyone give him any trouble. In fact most have him a wide berth, and tried not to be on the ice at the same time.
The seasons MacWilliam was in the ISL there weren’t that many heavyweights. Not like those that came a year or two after. His only competition was a young Paxton Schulte really.

moggy#9

The seasons MacWilliam was in the ISL there weren’t that many heavyweights. Not like those that came a year or two after. His only competition was a young Paxton Schulte really.
Paxton schulte was one of my favourite non devils players. Yes he was tough, but not in the scary way that Mike was.

I agree with most of what you’re saying and I would say he was the toughest in the league when he played in it without feeling biased.

However a few that were named above plus Eric Cairns and Colton Orr were genuine NHL tough and that’s where I would personally not back the ‘toughest ever’ claims.
I don't think cotton Orr has ever played in EIHl however I had to check as I think I know who you are thinking about. Played for Clan and was an ex mapleleafs tough guy but his name has totally escaped me. If I remember rightly he was a liability.

I don't think cotton Orr has ever played in EIHl however I had to check as I think I know who you are thinking about. Played for Clan and was an ex mapleleafs tough guy but his name has totally escaped me. If I remember rightly he was a liability.
Yes you’re quite correct although I have got him confused with colt king at Sheffield, my memory was saying it was Orr come over during the NHL lockout
Rosehill as you say was another though.

Wannabe2

Shirt lifting McMorrow, all he was concerned with was pulling his opponents shirt over their head, so they couldn’t see and then punching them, one of the dirtiest crap players I have ever seen. Biggest shithouse hit was against Adams, hitting him from behind into the Plexi and nearly splitting his helmet. Disliked him intensely, he was a real crap player and epitomised a real knuckle dragger.

BostonBart22

Shirt lifting McMorrow, all he was concerned with was pulling his opponents shirt over their head, so they couldn’t see and then punching them, one of the dirtiest crap players I have ever seen. Biggest shithouse hit was against Adams, hitting him from behind into the Plexi and nearly splitting his helmet. Disliked him intensely, he was a real crap player and epitomised a real knuckle dragger.
Loved him as a showman spun his helmet centre ice then beat the crap out of most, always respected his opponent after a fight , then applause for the crowd ..need more of him...but not gonna happen ...

Wannabe2

Not for me thank you, biggest waste of space to ever try to play over her, like your good self I always have and still do like the rough and tumble of the greatest sport on the planet. But they have to be able to play as well, Panthers had a crap player his name I forget now, but it began with a P and he always crossed his arms after a fight like a X, and that total idiotic player who played for London, think he was a Scottish lad and a total loon ball.