Music

Samael

And again without those now geriatrics as you disrespectfuly called them the Devils may never have got to the bay.
I think Mazzoaks post is a little cheeky one not an offensive one or I may be wrong.
Really, this argument, again? IF IT WASN'T FOR US OLD TIMERS THERE WOULD BE NO CLUB, NO IAW, WE FOUGHT IN THE WAR FOR YOU UNGRATEFUL KIDS..... Blah blah blah.

This line of argument is as tired as the music selection. Some of the posters on here are just scared of anything new and fearful of change, why? Because they are old and set in their ways. That isn't disrespect (although respect is earned and few posters on here have actually earned mine), that is an observation. I noticed a lot of people were moaning as there are more games on a Saturday now and there are more drunks at the games. Classic dads army complaints, and while l don't condone drunks ruining other people's enjoyment, some people view the Cardiff Devils/iaw as their own personal property and it has to be exactly how they want it every sodding week.

The music is old and boring, you can disagree all you like, but it is. Some of it was being played in the wnir some 30 years ago. I honestly can't believe some people are trying to defend it. But yes l do concede that people go for the hockey, not the music. If it was the other way around, l think l would never have returned after my first ever home game back in the Lawless era.

pjj365

I know it's been a long time but think about wedding receptions, family parties etc. What gets people, all generations, on their feet. Very similar to IAW play list

Samael

Yet again I’m jumped on. It was a dig with some humour at Samael who called people Geriatric Fans, which l found poor taste and disrespectful. I’d have called him a tw8t for that in person, unfortunately I can’t here because of the rules. And Wannabe don’t lecture me on respect after the disgusting comments you’ve called me.......

Can we now get back to the music please.
I highly doubt you'd say anything to me in person so don't even go there. You're nothing but a troll hiding behind a screen trying to stir and cause arguements. You have added nothing of value to this topic of music in the arena so either say something worthwhile and on topic or stop flapping those sausage like fingers over that keyboard you are a warrior of and give us all a break from your nonsense.

ASHIPP

Some 1970s music played at the WNIR 30 years ago is still on IAW playlist. Same music played at NHL arenas all over North America. Works well for them.

Samael

Lol are you seriously comparing Nhl match night experiences to a devils home game? Nhl teams have a slightly larger budget, better equipment too oh and shocker they do actually play modern music between the adverts, not just stuff from the 70s.

Mazzoak

I highly doubt you'd say anything to me in person so don't even go there. You're nothing but a troll hiding behind a screen trying to stir and cause arguements. You have added nothing of value to this topic of music in the arena so either say something worthwhile and on topic or stop flapping those sausage like fingers over that keyboard you are a warrior of and give us all a break from your nonsense.
Yawn....

Kevlar68

Well from someone who has been to NHL games in Canada and CHL games in Europe Canada is pretty much the same Playlist as ours not far off it anyway and CHL is even more rock orientated than ours.
I'm not in an argument not at all, I'm stating an opinion. I'm stating facts not speculation.
Also your statement that if you went to a game in the lawless era you would have never gone back doesn't hold up as you would only know the music of that time so your musical taste may be different then, again speculation not fact from yourself, you don't know that.
Another fact, the fan base has increased even with the "cock rock" music being played season in season out.
It's not about the music.

Mazzoak

I’ve a suggestion for Paul Sullivan. Why don’t we do a music battle off, or whatever the young people call a competition this year. Change up styles every week and get crowd participation in some form of vote in 3rd period. That way we can gauge the level of enjoyment from those fans...
Can we have an ABBA theme game, love a bit of Mama Mia, maybe some fancy dress too.

Samael

My statement was the music was awful back in the late 80s early 90s and it wasn't even as dated as it is now. The point l was making was if l was going for the music I'd have never returned as it was terrible back then too. Its worse now as its older and has been played longer the same old 'we will rock you' is still churned out. Just because it's done in the nhl and chl doesn't mean we should or even can follow. They have larger arenas, better sound systems etc. If we were emulating the nhl why don't we get on ice projectors and have real celebrities singing the national anthem. It costs money, the kind not present in the eihl. Also if you you've been to a lot of Nhl games you'll know some of them are indeed like libraries with zero atmosphere full of uninterested fans. Are we to copy that too?

Samael

Yeah, figured l'd get a response like that because you've been described as exactly what YOU are, a troll and you have no come back to that. You have nothing worthwhile to say, you antagonise a large amount of people here and constantly derail topics and make them about you so making them about nothing, which is the other thing you are other than a troll. A NOTHING. Now you're going on ignore. I refuse to read the feces you smear on here on a regular basis.

Mazzoak

Yeah, figured l'd get a response like that because you've been described as exactly what YOU are, a troll and you have no come back to that. You have nothing worthwhile to say, you antagonise a large amount of people here and constantly derail topics and make them about you so making them about nothing, which is the other thing you are other than a troll. A NOTHING. Now you're going on ignore. I refuse to read the feces you smear on here on a regular basis.
Bye Bye

Kevlar68

Also if you you've been to a lot of Nhl games you'll know some of them are indeed like libraries with zero atmosphere full of uninterested fans. Are we to copy that too?
I found that the silence was not due to uninterested fans it was because the fans are watching the game intensely but raise their voices when in on goal, you don't get to see that when you see it on TV as cameras are on the game.
I'm the same, I watch the game quietly and shout when I feel I need to.

Last edited:

matbur

The most important thing is that there's some thought behind the music and it's not just a constant stream of bubble gum pop/local radio stuff.

I've never met the guy (Sully?) who is responsible for music, but he plays a wide range of stuff and most importantly there's some thought and purpose behind it.

I don't know if he reads this forum, but fwiw I think he does an excellent job of playing traditional hockey stuff (old hockey song, organ), more up to current releases and then music that you'd associate with the sport/NHL.

The music is similar to NHL arenas, although it's impossible to directly compare as culturally, North American spectators engage with sport slightly differently.

Keep up the good work is my advice. It's a tougher gig than people probably give credit for!