Netminding Changes (topics merged)

august04 said:
Wannabe2 said:
Cant wait for season to end, total farce amateur leadership, wont be wasting my hard earned money on these jokers next season. Cardiff Capitals here we come.
I'd welcome a fresh start in a year or two, Cardiff Capitals or whatever, in the new facility with an Elite league team run by the new rink operator. If I was Greenbank, I wouldn't let the chuckle brothers anywhere near the new arena. They are making a mockery of this once great club. Next year's recruitment will be very interesting given the current level of discontent.
+1

But they will be starting if Kosowski picks up an injury. Myers had proven that he could do a job if needed, without any disrespect are any of the new backups?

Also, Joe was a very popular guy in the locker room for the sake of a couple of months is it worth the chance of risking upsetting the dressing room? Not to mention another needless stick for people to beat the club with.

dave

Firstly
Best of luck to joe for the future in what ever he does next. He was not only the back up but a heartbeat in the room and that is hard to replace.
As for the reason given

There are some good keepers in the juniors yes but they need to be pushing mike at the Nihl team first or two ways with epl like Martin clarkson did. Going from junior to the chance of facing pro adults could be damaging if handled incorrectly. Yeap Train etc as they have been doing but for this league I think you need at least an experienced back up.. So iifvthat is the way they have chosen I would have moved Luke takel or mike up to senior and open up the Nihl . That IMHO is a progression path.

Devil94

The way it's been handled and timing very wrong. (again)

Wrong decision? I'm not sure. For me Joe was not up to Elite league standard as a back up. Giving these youngsters some experience on the bench can only be a good thing. Takel has impressed me, can't say I've seen much of the others.

But as I said, timing very wrong. Popular member of the dressing room gassed mid-way through a tough season. Signing this unknown D from God knows where does not make up for it in the slightest.

Gutted to see Joe and Phil go, i understand player development, but the timing is awful, and the way it has been announced is utterly disrespectful.

It has turned into a PR disaster it would seem, judging by the reactions on twitter

Paul Sullivan

Sign an import (Cook)... little mention of Joe.
Sign a second import NM (Kosowski)... no mention of Joe.

Look like you are getting found out / have no options left from trying to farm Joe out to other teams?:

Finally issue a statement and dump a loyal Devil like he's roadkill....

drainage

Gazza272 said:
Firstly I think Joe Myers has had a pretty amazing story, to not be a goalie until your late teens and end up with professional W's next to your name is movie worthy if told correctly. It's very rare in sports to find a selfless team mate and that is certainly what Joe reflected during his time in the Devils camp. It was a pleasure to call his shoot out win earlier in the year against Dundee on the Webcast..

I hope from this he can get a starter spot somewhere either this year or in the near future. He has certainly worked hard enough for it.

On the other side of this coin I am pleased to see us give encouragement to our next crop of goaltender talent. We seem to be implementing a system of showing youngsters there is a progression through this club, i'm unsure as to why this is a bad thing as being portrayed on this thread already, in fact I find it quite unbelievable that none of the youth goalies have been given any type of encouragement so far, I think it's a sign of how entrenched in dislike some have become. This is pro sports where people get cut all the time, I think some would have a coronary if they followed a minor league team in North America where people leave at the drop of a hat with not so much as a thank you.

As above it's sad to see a guy who has given so much have to see it end, but I can see the reasoning behind it. We have too many goalies and not enough spots and that always leaves something to give. Let's hope the young guys take the bull by the horns and take their chances, I'll be rooting for them just like I rooted for Joe.
Totally agree ..... Wish timing was better

drainage

bluedevil said:
But they will be starting if Kosowski picks up an injury. Myers had proven that he could do a job if needed, without any disrespect are any of the new backups?

Also, Joe was a very popular guy in the locker room for the sake of a couple of months is it worth the chance of risking upsetting the dressing room? Not to mention another needless stick for people to beat the club with.
My thoughts exactly ... It's not the decision it's the timing and as you say a small but vocal element now have new ammo .......I am at times shockingly confused

ASHIPP said:
What a shambles. No wonder the team is so inconsistent....no-one knows who is on the roster from week to week. They never get a chance to settle. Money saving exercise gets rid of a long serving backup and new exciting young import netminder.

I am all for youth development but surely not at such an important point in the season...and with Pope in Sochi.

Maybe this is the way the Club is going....are they planning to drop to EPL level next season. If not, good luck with recruitment for Elite League level. Who will want to come here?
If they are planning this then there would be no agreeement for the new arena. The Development agreement specifies ' A team playing top flight hockey (The Elite League ) currently the Cardiff Devils '

djc7 said:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start some sort of protest against the way Brent Pope is tearing this club apart - before it's too late ?

Maybe the fans should take over and rescue the Devils.
as a protest i think we should all boycott the 2nd leg of the challenge cup as we all have to buy tickets this will hurt him

Have Hope#35

drainage said:
bluedevil said:

My thoughts exactly ... It's not the decision it's the timing and as you say a small but vocal element now have new ammo .......I am at times shockingly confused
Small??? So small that Joe Myers was trending on Twitter! Heartless act by the Club, the least they could do imo is give him until the end of the Season and sort out the Nettie positions over the Summer.

Ocko

A cruel, unnecessary change. I don't understand why you have to cut your backup with only a few months left. We've just written off our chances of getting Matt back next year and probably a few others, are there any other Elite British players out there on par with Matt? Not that are availble to us anyway, that will be a big hole to fill. Joe is also good friends with Batch, Piggsy, Ben. Dont be surprised to lose these. Good, young British players are not like the Europeans Pope keeps churning out, they arent 10 to a penny. IMO there aren't any NIHL players waiting in the wings who are as good as what we've got and it looks like we're screwing that up by the day.

kettdevil1

Have Hope#35 said:
drainage said:
bluedevil said:

Small??? So small that Joe Myers was trending on Twitter! Heartless act by the Club, the least they could do imo is give him until the end of the Season and sort out the Nettie positions over the Summer.
Yep, totally agree...... As ever it is the way things are done that I object to...... If there was an announcement at the end of the season, thanking Joe for his service and saying we were looking to the youngsters then that is one thing, to do it at this stage is a nonsense...... When you are in a hole then the advice is generally to stop digging.....at the moment we appear to have hired a JCB.....

So yesterday people called me everything for passing on information about cook being told he was released the other day.

i had abuse etc and the thread locked.

The club is a shambles.

Finny

rikardo1uk said:
So yesterday people called me everything for passing on information about cook being told he was released the other day.

The club is a shambles.
You said he had been released and left the club.
He is still with the club until the end of the month and may even play a game this weekend.

Finny

Maybe Joe was sacked for being too busy changing his hat during games that he couldn't be concentrating on the game:

(from @JeahReezy)

Have Hope#35

rikardo1uk said:

The club is a shambles.
If you'd have said Myers was going to be released you could have done the 'I told you so' but Cook is playing until the end of the month at which point his Contract expires! I however agree that the club is a shambles!!!

maximo said:
djc7 said:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start some sort of protest against the way Brent Pope is tearing this club apart - before it's too late ?

Maybe the fans should take over and rescue the Devils.
as a protest i think we should all boycott the 2nd leg of the challenge cup as we all have to buy tickets this will hurt him
Me and my family will definitely not be going to this game - saving my money for the G Testimonial game instead !