Newcastle Vipers v Cardiff Devils - Sat 6:30pm Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

Bob the Driver said:
About 80 odd Devils fans were there to witness the win tonight. Fantastic support and a great comeback from 3-1 down. Well done to Bubbles for stepping in for me. Lets hope for a repeat 2 points tomorrow night and similar support for the boys. We will just get better as the weeks go on. Well done Finny on the MNL tonight great coverage despite the blips.
Big Big thanks for the service tonight, where would we be without you guys, thank you very very much.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

James

Administrator
Thanks for the coverage Finny. Sorry about the downtime. We are continuing to work on the server and tweak it the best we can. It should pick itself up when it goes down. The next step is to make sure it doesn't go down in the first place.

Great result. Two points from this weekend is what most fans expected, so I really think as fans we can cut them some slack and hope the team has gone out for a bit of team bonding after the game because any more points this weekend has got to be is a bonus.

In fairness, from this weekend, the very least I expected was 2 points.
If we are to challenge at the top, we need to win all these games against the mid-lower table teams.

It sounds like Robinson was on fire tonight, so that was probably why the result was so close.
I have seen many a game when a netminder has has changed the result dramatically.

We almost doubled their amount of SOG, so hopefully tomorrow will be a completely different game.

Scott.

Just a quick question. how can the game end 4-3 when it was 1-1 at the end of regulation and overtime. Previously the rule was the winner of the shootout was awarded an extra goal to the scoreline, thus ending 2-1 to the devils not 4-3. Has there been a rule change this year regarding this?

RichardR said:
Just a quick question. how can the game end 4-3 when it was 1-1 at the end of regulation and overtime. Previously the rule was the winner of the shootout was awarded an extra goal to the scoreline, thus ending 2-1 to the devils not 4-3. Has there been a rule change this year regarding this?
Um, because it was 3-3 at the end of regulation and overtime and not 1-1. ;)

I was also hoping for at least 2 points from the weekend, but more importantly I want to get out of this weekend with at least as many points as Newcastle, at the moment we have 2 points but if Newcastle win tonight they will have 3 and that for me would be disapointing.
So another OT game would be fine, but I would really be looking for the win again tonight.

Thought it was a very good game.

Devils were all over Vipers in the 1st period with a lot of near misses. Vipers came out in the second all guns blazing. Third period devils were better towards the end.

Lyle made some good saves but was also spilling a few under pressure. Hartwick had his best game yet for devils IMO, Jarvis was brilliant in the 1st period, Romfo blended in well, Richardson was good. Smith, Max and Miller seemed to gel quite well, IMO Voth had a poor game, Jay looks like he hasnt left, Hill played well and scored from a rebound from Robinson, Towe was ok, Davies ok and I was very impressed with Michel. Hits, shoots and looks quite skillful. G didn't have the greatest game but wasn't too bad.

Overall a good game. Vipers 5on5 looked just ok. They have 3 players who are very fast, and always hovering for the break, they will catch a few teams out this year. their PP was brilliant - camped in the zone, and thats it. the only time I thought they looked like scoring was on the PP.

Hanson was prety awful. The Towe penalty was awful, the penalty that gave them a 5 on 3 was awful. He only made the call when the vipers player shrugged his shoulders at him as if to say "why didn't you call that". - so he called it. Jay and Smith were kicked out of 70% of face offs.

Michel Robinson for them made some good saves but left some reounds go right to our players. In OT we looked like we were playing for Penalty shots.

Max got Game tying goal and game winning PS. If we stay out of the box we should be ok tonight. For newc, Griffith, Petricko and 83 (ecant remember name) seem good players!

DWD

I disagree I don't think Hanson was *that* bad, he had a couple of dodgy calls on both sides, but all in all it was even.

Very even and entertaining game from a neutral point.

The Vipers were lucky to have a 2 goal lead considering the tripping call leading the PP was phantom, and Petricko was a mile offside when he brought the puck into the zone leading to Griffith's goal.

But the luck evened out with your equaliser, the puck catching in the boards and coming off at an angle that left Robinson all ends up and an easy back hand goal for Hill.

Was a tale of two pretty evenly matched teams with two netminders who love to bounce out big juicy rebounds, a bit more following in on shots would have probably led to more goals, both Lyle and Robinson rode their luck on a lot of occasions.

If we have the same game tonight I'll be pleased.

ASHIPP

scottydoesntknow said:
If we are to challenge at the top, we need to win all these games against the mid-lower table teams.
Scott.
What evidence so far is there that Newcastle is a mid-lower table team? Most of the fans who saw both games this weekend have said that both teams were pretty evenly matched. :?
Last year, Vipers finished 7th, Devils finished 5th (after being 7th and 6th during the season) - on that premise, I think that qualifies us for being described as a 'mid table' team!

This year, although it's very early days, no team is going to be a pushover - look at this weekend, Nottingham is the only team to have won both their games. :x
The Devils played with passion and effort, shortbenched with some frustrating calls (and some minors they gave away themselves). I am really looking forward to seeing them click in the next few weeks. But to be totally hard-nosed about it, it's points that determine your position in the league standings. Vipers took 3 points, Devils took 2 this weekend. :(

I think that the answer to the question above is that its an 8 team league and Vipers are not really considered a top 3 team, so maybe neither are we.
I'm not meaning to be negative, its due to the strength of the league which seems very tight for once and while part of me says we could well be top 3 this year, another part looks at Cloutier, Huppe and Kalmikov in Hull with another decent goalie and Caps with at least 3 very top imports including Rudkovsky(?) in nets and thinks either of these teams could relegate any one of the top sides lower in the table than they could have imagined being.

I like our squad and think we are comparable with Belfast and maybe just below PAnthers and Blaze, so hopefully we will get that top 3 finish, but I think it could easily be argued that Vipers are the weakest squad, (but that they are also quite useful) as they have shown this weekend.
Looks like it could be tight this year, hopefully we will show our full potential soon.

Gazza272

Huskie442 said:
I think that the answer to the question above is that its an 8 team league and Vipers are not really considered a top 3 team, so maybe neither are we.

I see what your saying Huskie but on the flip side i would bet that every team in the league is going to lose at least 1 game in Newcastle this year, it's up to us to win the rest the other two times we visit there.

ASHIPP

It's so close this year in terms of signings and style with many teams. For instance, Hull just lost out against Belfast over the weekend but they have some great players in Cloutier, Huppe, Kalmikov and Sandahl, not to mention some strong young Brits in Edsers and Mitchell.
Our upcoming cup game this weekend against them is not going to be easy - that's the difference this year, no team can be ruled out. :?
A clinical Coventry took care of Sheffield quickly in their match at the weekend - the Steelers fans were shocked. The same with Nottingham v Belfast. Then Belfast beat Hull.
I must be slow or something but I still can't see how Newcastle could be described as having one of the weakest teams -they were missing Mahrle, possibly their strongest D man, over the weekend, and still managed to get the better of our M Line! They have Petricko, Techjma, Griffiths and Robinson - all good signings.
Early days and the teams are still sussing eachother out - it'll be edge of seat stuff when the Devils get going! :cool:

ASHIPP I completely take your point, all I was saying was that I think at this point Newcastle would be expected by many to finish in the lower half of the table, as the big 4 will be expected to all finish reasonably high and hopefully we can break up that group too, BUT I agree that there is no weak team at all and maybe I was underestimating Vipers this weekend. Its going to be a tough year for everyone.

Having been to the games in Newcastle, and also taking in mind the Coventry games, I think we have to look at the fact our D has let in a lot of goals. OK the Coventry games were friendlies, but I think there will not going to be many shut outs this season.

I know Richardson was injured later on in the second game, and Stoney is injured, however 8 goals against us by Vipers show that we have some areas for concern. I accept the lack of ice time and practice together, but with this should not affect the D as much as going forward.

If Newcastle are considered a lesser team, then we need to start worrying. They hit our metal work on numerous occasions and cut through us to create lots of scoring chances. If the likes of the Steelers, Giants Panthers etc... play against our D then I am afraid on the last 2 nights showing we are going to concede a lot of goals, which means we are going to have to score a lot of goals to win. We cannot play like we did in Newcastle and go 3-1 down again and think we can get out of Jail. We went 3-1 down in both games with a full D except for Stoney although G covered him which allowed Ben more ice time. I love attacking hockey, but if we don't get the D sorted then we are in trouble. With Stoney out and possibly Richardson out the D is looking more fragile.

I never post negatively, and I hope we get the D sorted ASAP as a winning team is based on the foundations of a solid D then onto attacking hockey. I know it's early doors but hopefully the D can get to the position of giving nothing away.

ASHIPP

bubbles said:
Having been to the games in Newcastle, and also taking in mind the Coventry games, I think we have to look at the fact our D has let in a lot of goals. OK the Coventry games were friendlies, but I think there will not going to be many shut outs this season.

I know Richardson was injured later on in the second game, and Stoney is injured, however 8 goals against us by Vipers show that we have some areas for concern. I accept the lack of ice time and practice together, but with this should not affect the D as much as going forward.

If Newcastle are considered a lesser team, then we need to start worrying. They hit our metal work on numerous occasions and cut through us to create lots of scoring chances. If the likes of the Steelers, Giants Panthers etc... play against our D then I am afraid on the last 2 nights showing we are going to concede a lot of goals, which means we are going to have to score a lot of goals to win. We cannot play like we did in Newcastle and go 3-1 down again and think we can get out of Jail. We went 3-1 down in both games with a full D except for Stoney although G covered him which allowed Ben more ice time. I love attacking hockey, but if we don't get the D sorted then we are in trouble. With Stoney out and possibly Richardson out the D is looking more fragile.
Bubbles - agree with you. As I said on the other thread, can't wait to see the Devils start to click very soon because the skill is there - as was seen on Saturday and in the first match against Coventry. BUT, in order to secure a good position in the League, or stand a chance of doing well in the cup tournament and play-offs, the Devils have got to score more goals than they concede. It is very early days and these issues will be ironed out, but 8 goals in 2 matches is a lot. If it keeps happening, the Devils will be in trouble. I do remember the Giants 'goals against' stats being quite high last year - but, more often than not, they had a string of players who were virtually guaranteed to score sufficient goals for them to win. :?