Next years team.

ASHIPP

Milky said:
Finny said:
Interview with Andrew Lord which sounds like it was done after the 3rd/4th playoff game:
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/lord-on-disappointment-recruitment-brits/

2 things to come out of that is that it sounds like we might well be looking to add new brits to play 4 lines. But that there is a good chance Joey Martin won't be back. :(
To be fair, his girlfriend is going back to Canada so that's not going to help :cry: .
They are getting married in the Summer so I think that explains her return home!

jimmy snels

He barely got a game August, to be fair i think it would be easy to establish i meant as a full time roster player not getting a couple of games in by my positive remark :D

Milky

ASHIPP said:
Milky said:
Finny said:
Interview with Andrew Lord which sounds like it was done after the 3rd/4th playoff game:
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/lord-on-disappointment-recruitment-brits/

2 things to come out of that is that it sounds like we might well be looking to add new brits to play 4 lines. But that there is a good chance Joey Martin won't be back. :(
To be fair, his girlfriend is going back to Canada so that's not going to help :cry: .
They are getting married in the Summer so I think that explains her return home!
That, and the fact her two year work secondment in the UK has finished.

Hope the wedding goes well Joey :)

It's been quite interesting reading the contrasting opinions from everyone, here's my thoughts on who would stay/go...

Bowns: goes without saying - keep;

Will: personally haven't seen enough of him to form a real opinion, but seems like a good team guy - keep;

Hudson*: quite a disappointing season from Hudson, compared to last, I think he can be a bit naive defensively sometimes - release;

Fournier: the man's on a 2-year deal anyway, but looks like a genuinely exciting prospect - keep;

Richardson: the definition of solid - keep;

Batch: has come a long way in the past two seasons, still not the finished article, but it'd be gutting to see him move to another team - keep;

Hendrikx: tough call, I thought it was harsh on him to sit out so many games at the end of the season, and he offers a physicality that has been [sadly] lacking this season... if he goes, we need to replace that aspect of his play - undecided;

Hotham: again, tough call, because while he does offer you more than any other D man in the league going forward, I do think his concentration in defense has been poor at times this season (that game at home against Sheffield being the prime example), if Lordo can set him straight on his job description then I'd be happy to have him back, but as others have mentioned how much are his goals worth when his errors have lead to goals for the opposition - keep;

Smith: seeing as nobody's mentioned him and he really hasn't featured that often this season (I think he was brought in as cover, no?) would let him go - release;

Lordo: again, the man's already been confirmed as a return for next season, and personally no qualms about that - keep;

Martin: if I was Steve King & Co, I'd be doing everything in my powers to bring JM and Bowns back with one or the other being the frontrunner for the 'C' next season - keep;

Doucet: liked what I saw from him this season, both in effort and goals scored, scraps for his size and even when he went on that barren run he still kept plugging away - keep;

Salters: when he signed, I was really positive and thought we'd made up for the loss of someone like Clarkson, someone who's big, quick, skillful, but also physical (not to the point where they're constantly in the bin, but someone who's happy to knock the oppo about) and sadly the longer this season's gone on, the harder it's been to keep so positive. I really wanted things to work out for Salters with us, because as he's shown when he's on point, he can be unplayable. Has he been consistent enough, showing that form? I think we can all answer that, regardless of whether he's been carrying an injury or not (will come back to address this later). Rumours are he's headed back to Braehead and for my money he's never looked too happy or settled with us, which is a genuine shame - release;

Piggott/Jones: cannot fault these guys for effort at all, and if there were the capacity to have them, I'd bring them both back and rotate them in where others need a break, but being blunt I don't think CJ has the skill for this level (& it kills me to say that, the amount of Cardiff boys who have moved on from the Devils is not nice to see) - Piggott, keep, CJ, release;

Haddad: again, the effort Joey's put in this season has been Herculean at times, but I don't think he's quite up to the standards we want to be headed in - release;

Mo: one of my favourite players, but I think if Russell comes back then you could argue the two do the same job, that said he is capable of magic moments, would like to see him step into being more of a play-maker for a secondary skill line - keep;

Kurka: this guy has the potential to be one of the best, but for whatever reason it hasn't quite fired for him this season, thought he looked sharpest with Culli or Russell - undecided;

Hervato: for me, one of the signings of the season for us, largely due to his effort and willingness to hit everything that moves, something we needed more from those who are a bit more physically capable than Herv - keep;

Culligan: like Mo & Herv, I think Culli embodies the Devils, he might not be the flashiest player (although is more than capable of being flash) going, but he will put in a shift for us every game and having someone who can switch effectively between attack and defence has to be an asset - keep;

Russell: hasn't quite been what I expected, but in no way has that been a bad thing, he's worked his socks off when he's played for us and his linking with Kurka looked like it had real potential, but I suspect he will want to move on to a better league - keep (if he wants to come back).

*This is something I've mentioned previously, and given the amount of comments that have been made in this thread alone about injuries and what I mentioned about Salters, I genuinely think we need to stop having Hudson as our conditioning coach. Yes, the club operates with a limited budget, and no doubt Hudson has done good considering, but I don't like this having players act as coaches - player-coach I can deal with, Hudson being solely responsible (I'm assuming?) for something as important, no no no. If we invested in a dedicated physio/conditioning coach, then I think we might see things improve for us. How many times this season (and last) did people complain about how tired the boys looked after the night before? Everybody in the league has to travel, some have handled that better than others in my opinion.

One final thought on Salters, if he came back to us next season 100% fit and fired up, back on a line with Douc & JM, I think he would change a lot of people's minds. If he goes though, good luck to him - let's make sure we get someone in who will be offensive, who can carry the puck, who will line up the opposition D, who will have the odd scrap, who gets people worried about having to play against them. The times this season where Salters has ticked those boxes has been too few (goalscoring aside, thought he was solid there).

Rant over... :lol:

Koop11

Ice Time TV’s interview with Kelman on their show last night suggests there will be a lot more changes than was originally envisaged going into the playoff weekend. The suggestion was not down to lack of preparation but mental weakness. Big players did not show up.

He also refers to the fact he doesn’t care about the ‘look where we are now compared to 2 years ago’ argument. He points out that he wasn’t here 2 years ago and that he is used to winning. With the facility and management structure in place we should be winning.

His interview hits a lot of nails on the head. It was refreshing to watch. Interview approximately 11mins in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URFHfBjQkU

KaneDevils

Koop11 said:
Ice Time TV’s interview with Kelman on their show last night suggests there will be a lot more changes than was originally envisaged going into the playoff weekend. The suggestion was not down to lack of preparation but mental weakness. Big players did not show up.

He also refers to the fact he doesn’t care about the ‘look where we are now compared to 2 years ago’ argument. He points out that he wasn’t here 2 years ago and that he is used to winning. With the facility and management structure in place we should be winning.

His interview hits a lot of nails on the head. It was refreshing to watch. Interview approximately 11mins in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URFHfBjQkU
So he's basically echoed what the minority have been saying on here. To reiterate one of my points, as a devil, 2nd isn't good enough. :RAWK

DevilDom

Don't think anyone has said they are happy with 2nd or missing out on trophies, I think the point some were making (including myself) is that we have come a long way and although disappointing in the last few weeks of the year I've enjoyed the season regardless. We are now able to compete on an even ice pad with the likes of Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast but it still gives us no right to win anything. Do I want us to win everything? Damm right I do! Will it always happen? Unlikely, but that's sport!

I also think its great so many people are disappointed we missed out on the big trophies and want improvements. It just shows echoes my point about how far we have come.

Wannabe2

Practicing and Playing on home big ice can only help when we play the Steelers, Panthers, Giants away from home, and recruiting will take all that into consideration, Kelman has announced that there will probably be more new faces next season than was first thought, happy to hear that myself. Steelers, Panthers etc will want to improve next season, as probably the league as a whole will. As a pure guess I think we will see at least 6 new players in a Devils shirt, I would like to see at least 1 if not 2 more brits, with 4/5 new imports. It's going to be a very interesting off season with rumours galore, got a sneaky feeling we could all be happy bunnies come Sept/Oct time.

KaneDevils said:
Koop11 said:

So he's basically echoed what the minority have been saying on here. To reiterate one of my points, as a devil, 2nd isn't good enough. :RAWK
This +1 :RAWK